Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Glock goes off in holster (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/glock-goes-off-holster-40948/)

JTJ 04-07-2011 07:27 PM

Glock goes off in holster

2 Attachment(s)
I just received an email detailing a Glock that went off in its holster. The holster was a Galco and the leather at the back of the holster kinked in and caught the trigger. It went off as the wearer was exiting his car nicking his thigh and doing some damage to his clothes and the car.

doctherock 04-07-2011 07:29 PM

That's why I like the double safeties on my xd40.

JonM 04-07-2011 07:31 PM

that is exactly why i dont like the glock design a trigger safety is NOT a safety. he is one lucky guy.

Dillinger 04-07-2011 07:36 PM

Damn!! In Glock's defense that holster has clearly seen some love, but I have to agree with the above.

If you don't have a manual safety, especially on a striker fired pistol, you are just ASKING for something bad to happen.

Manual Safety for the Win please Alex.

JD

JTJ 04-07-2011 07:38 PM

Now I am really glad I traded my G19 for the Ruger SR9c. The Ruger has a thumb safety. I still have my G36 but I was looking at going to a compact 1911. This might push me a little harder.

SilenceDogood 04-07-2011 08:13 PM

This to me is more an indictment of this man's poor care of his holster than the Glock. If your holster wears out you need to replace it. End of story.

Dillinger 04-07-2011 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilenceDogood (Post 481577)
This to me is more an indictment of this man's poor care of his holster than the Glock. If your holster wears out you need to replace it. End of story.

All the stitching is still in place, the only part that is showing "wear" is from the presumably oiled slide release resting on the top of the leather.

The holster looks loved and broken in, not broken down and ready for the trash heap. :eek:

doctherock 04-07-2011 08:49 PM

I like my blachawk serpa holster. No means for that to happen.

nhsuper44 04-07-2011 09:03 PM

That would NEVER happen with a Crossbreed super tuck and a 1911 cocked and locked !!:D

orangello 04-07-2011 09:09 PM

I wonder if he may have jostled it while removing the seatbelt?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 481557)
Damn!! In Glock's defense that holster has clearly seen some love, but I have to agree with the above.

If you don't have a manual safety, especially on a striker fired pistol, you are just ASKING for something bad to happen.

Manual Safety for the Win please Alex.

JD

How much do you think the grip safety on the XD line mitigates this risk?

I mean, not only would duder need to have that worn holster to pull the trigger, he would also need a serious muffin-top or something to engage the grip safety, i would think.

Note* In fairness, i do not carry on my person; i think my XD has seen a holster maybe a half dozen times, usually just to protect it on the rear floorboard of my car (MS carry).