Glock Accidental-.45 cal into hand/with Pic's - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

Glock Accidental-.45 cal into hand/with Pic's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 07:10 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Lesson Learned! I am never cleaning any of my guns again.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:15 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzscubie View Post
Car, was this recent or is it old, I guess what Im asking is do you know when this happened?
I'm guessing it happened around 2004. He stated he got home after seeing the movie "Crash", which came out then.

"Guns don't kill people, it's the projectile flying out of the loud end of the gun at 1300 fps that kills them."
-ME

Work- Sig Sauer P229- .40 cal
Off duty- Ruger LCP- .380 ACP
Kimber Tact. Pro II- .45 ACP

LEO & Sup. Exec. Security Spc.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:25 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzscubie View Post
Car, was this recent or is it old, I guess what Im asking is do you know when this happened?
I misread this. I thought I read that he just got home from seeing the movie "Crash". At least we now know it happened in the last 7 years...

I tried looking up more info on the web, however, I was unsuccessful.

"Guns don't kill people, it's the projectile flying out of the loud end of the gun at 1300 fps that kills them."
-ME

Work- Sig Sauer P229- .40 cal
Off duty- Ruger LCP- .380 ACP
Kimber Tact. Pro II- .45 ACP

LEO & Sup. Exec. Security Spc.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:46 AM   #24

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

This should be a lesson in gun safety, not a lesson about Glock in particular.
I think Tango hit the nail on the head when he said the reason you always hear about this happening with Glocks is because there are so many of them out there. There are many guns that have the same, or similar take down procedure, XD's, Sigma's, Taurus Millennium series, and Diamondback .380's just to name a few. Before pulling the trigger to disassemble, ALWAYS check, re-check, and check again. Also, even once you've made sure the chamber is clear, NEVER point a gun at anything (especially a body part) that you don't want to see destroyed. Always point in a SAFE direction, which in most cases will be the floor.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #25
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2879 Times on 1580 Posts
Likes Given: 810

A couple of months ago a local gun shop employee shot himself in the hand with a 1911. It was negligence pure and simple. The gun owner that handed him the gun did not clear it because "I never keep one in the chamber." The employee evidently failed to clear it also. I always clear a gun even if I see the person handing me the gun clear it. Get in the habit.
There was an incident at a gun show a few years ago. A man was looking at a 1911. Someone distracted the seller. The man handed the gun back and took off in a hurry. The seller was suspicious and cleared the gun. There was a live round in the chamber. This was a deliberate attempt to cause an incident.

Old 05-01-2011, 02:22 AM   #26

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Cane, I think you and I had the same Drill Sergeant...
I was going to say Firearms Instructor. I learned to treat ALL firearms as LOADED until you have 1. dropped the magazine, if equipped with one, opened and locked the action OPEN. Before we conducted any training with our EMPTY Glock pistol back in my time on a tactical unit (didn't have the $$$ in the budget for dedicated simunition pistols and air soft wasn't around). Only after you and your partner had checked and double checked each other's pistols would we close the slide and tape it with blue duct tape.

I had a shooting buddy back in the mid 1980's who had an UNINTENTIONAL DISCHARGE with a colt Officer's Model in .45 ACP. He'd gotten home from work and didn't like to leave a round chambered, so he dropped the mag and was going to "snap it" to drop the hammer having forgotten to clear the chambered round....fortunately for him and his family he only killed his mattress and box springs. He'd owned and carried revolvers for over 10 years, but wanted to try a self-loading pistol for a change.

This gentleman is indeed very fortunate in that he wasn't killed by his UNINTENTIONAL DISCHARGE.

I've only seen two firearms discharge in my life that I know were truly accidental, in that they were caused by mechanical defects in the firearms in question, both LLama 1911 style pistols, 1 a 5' barrel in .45 ACP the other a 4 1/4' barrel 9mm. The 9mm was first, it went off in my IWB holster in front of witnesses, I was shooting a rifle at the time it went off blowing a nice hole in my wallet shredding several things inside as well as a nice hole in my right buttocks. The LLama .45 went off while a Marine was holding it at port arms with his finger outside the trigger guard and in both cases the thumb safeties were still locked in the "safe" position when examined. The safeties had to be released before the slide would lock back to reveal a spent case in the chamber.

I've heard of others, but never seen them. Needless to say I'll NEVER own another LLama pistol again regardless of what it is. I suppose I could have hired a lawyer and sued LLama for product liability, but I didn't. I couldn't see adding more to my embarrassment than I'd already endured and sure didn't want to involve my friends who'd seen it.

Old 05-01-2011, 02:36 AM   #27

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo45 View Post
I was going to say Firearms Instructor. I learned to treat ALL firearms as LOADED until you have 1. dropped the magazine, if equipped with one, opened and locked the action OPEN. Before we conducted any training with our EMPTY Glock pistol back in my time on a tactical unit (didn't have the $$$ in the budget for dedicated simunition pistols and air soft wasn't around). Only after you and your partner had checked and double checked each other's pistols would we close the slide and tape it with blue duct tape.

I had a shooting buddy back in the mid 1980's who had an UNINTENTIONAL DISCHARGE with a colt Officer's Model in .45 ACP. He'd gotten home from work and didn't like to leave a round chambered, so he dropped the mag and was going to "snap it" to drop the hammer having forgotten to clear the chambered round....fortunately for him and his family he only killed his mattress and box springs. He'd owned and carried revolvers for over 10 years, but wanted to try a self-loading pistol for a change.

This gentleman is indeed very fortunate in that he wasn't killed by his UNINTENTIONAL DISCHARGE.

I've only seen two firearms discharge in my life that I know were truly accidental, in that they were caused by mechanical defects in the firearms in question, both LLama 1911 style pistols, 1 a 5' barrel in .45 ACP the other a 4 1/4' barrel 9mm. The 9mm was first, it went off in my IWB holster in front of witnesses, I was shooting a rifle at the time it went off blowing a nice hole in my wallet shredding several things inside as well as a nice hole in my right buttocks. The LLama .45 went off while a Marine was holding it at port arms with his finger outside the trigger guard and in both cases the thumb safeties were still locked in the "safe" position when examined. The safeties had to be released before the slide would lock back to reveal a spent case in the chamber.

I've heard of others, but never seen them. Needless to say I'll NEVER own another LLama pistol again regardless of what it is. I suppose I could have hired a lawyer and sued LLama for product liability, but I didn't. I couldn't see adding more to my embarrassment than I'd already endured and sure didn't want to involve my friends who'd seen it.
They didn't have half-cocks? (please, lets be adult about this )
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 05-01-2011, 04:07 AM   #28

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse17 View Post
They didn't have half-cocks? (please, lets be adult about this )
You wasted your 1,000th post on that?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-01-2011, 04:19 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 145 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 167

We learned it doesn't take much to mushroom a talon.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:31 AM   #30

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
You wasted your 1,000th post on that?
No it was # 1,003...oops now it's #1,004...
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000