Glasses when shooting - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Glasses when shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2010, 10:30 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Eye dominance is not as critical w/ handguns. I shoot w/ both eyes open. I did suffer from the same issue as you when I used 1 eye. I found out I can shoot as well w/ either hand after I stopped closing one. It gave me a better awareness of everything that was going on also.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Hi guys,

I don`t know what you mean by cross eye dominant.
I aim with my right eye and I am right handed.

It could very well be, that I am noch looking though the center of my glasses when aiming.
Is there any way to figure that out without aiming at somebody (with a unloaded pistol, of course....)?
You really do need to know your dominant eye, particularly since you have eyesight issues. The dominant eye is important in everything from firearms to archery to golf.

Most right-handed people are right-eye dominant. Most left-handed people are left-eye dominant. Some people are cross-dominant. They are right-handed but left-eye dominant, or vice versa. The dominant shooting eye may likely make a large physical difference on how you shoulder a rifle or shotgun - but it's also important for handguns. The few millimeters you will alter your aim can make all the difference down range, particularly for the cross-dominant.

There are many different methods to find out, and should all have the same results. Try different ones to be sure.

The simplest is to point your finger at a distant object with both eyes open. First close one eye and then the other. Your finger will remain lined up with the object when your dominant eye is open. If your finger isn't directly between your eyes, this method may fail.

In class, I have a paper on the wall with a red dot on it. I give the students an index card with a hole punched in it. They hold the card out with both hands at arm's length, elbows locked, and slowly move it toward their face while keeping the red dot in focus. The eye it ends up on is their dominant eye.

Another method is to put your hands straight out in front of you while looking at a distant object. Cross your hands so as to form a small triangle between your thumbs and fingers. Same thing - keep the object in the triangle while you move your hands to your face. The eye you end up on is your dominant eye.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:20 PM   #13

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

o.k. my right eye is the dominant one.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:35 PM   #14

You're using the correct eye, then.

If your group is good and consistent, just adjust the sights for *you* and your shooting preference (with or without prescription glasses). Doesn't matter if someone else can hit with it, it's your gun.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #15

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I`m will go to the range sunday again and see what I come up with. Ich will fire some rounds with and some without my glasses on.
It just well be, that I turn my head while aiming in a way, that lets me look past the correctional cylinder in my lenses and cause the rounds to hit to far left.
I will see then and let you guys know.

Anyway, thank`s for all the advice and if anybody still has some ideas, go ahead and post them.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:29 PM   #16

Liked 246 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 12

kdog-
I'm betting that you are flinching or jerking when your glasses are on but not with them off. Why ?

Because with the glasses off, you have no clear aiming point and, therefore, no incentive to jerk the trigger when you see a perfect sight picture.

Try shooting at a blank sheet of paper or a paper grocery bag and see if your problem goes away.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:56 AM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I am cross eye dominant which was a problem shooting trap. I had this opaque sticker about the size of a penny that i stuck onto my glasses in front of my left eye. This really helped.

So this brings me to a question I have. I am new to pistols do you aim with both eyes open? I close my left eye. It works for me and I actually shoot better than my buddies and that's really that is all I care about.