Glasses when shooting
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Glasses when shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 10:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Glasses when shooting

Hi guys,

I have a problem!

I was at the range last week thursday with my newly bought Sig P226.
I had two other gys shoot it. Both police officers with the german police. One of them is a gunsmith and shooting instructor for the police the other a regular ploce officer. Both are goot shooters.
Both hit the target dead center, so the sig is setup perfectly.
No issue there.

Now, when I shoot the Sig, all hit are at 09:00h outside the target.
I am am far sighted and wear correctional glasses (approx. + 1.5 on each eye). Also I have a irregular curvature of the cornea and therefor have a optical cylinder in the glasses.

So, after wasting about 50 or 60 rounds of ammo, the shooting instructor suggested to take off my glasses.
Now when shooting without my glasses on, the rounds hit the target pretty much dead center (a bit to the left at 09:00h on the target, but visible).
The only problem is, that I can`t get the sights focused, only the target.

Has anybody had a similar issue and does anybody have any suggestions on what to do?

PS When I say whithout glasses on, I of course have on my safety glasses! Other than that, the SIG is perfect.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-30-2010, 12:37 PM   #2

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you can see the front sight clearly with your glasses on while still seeing the target (although not clearly) I would think you'd be okay. The front sight is what you want to focus on anyway.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
If you can see the front sight clearly with your glasses on while still seeing the target (although not clearly) I would think you'd be okay. The front sight is what you want to focus on anyway.
With my glasses on, I can see the sights clearly. But I then don`t hit the target correctly.
When I take off my glasses off, I can`t see the sighty clearly, only the target. But I hit the target much better.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:23 PM   #4

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hmmm...maybe some kind of bifocal? Probably a question better asked to an eye guy.

I will say that I had Lasik about twelve years ago. I had it primarily to correct my near-sightedness for my golf game. But it's kinda worn off, I'm afraid, and I'm back to near-sightedness. For shooting, that's not a problem for me, cause the front sight is clear and the target objective is a little blurry, but I still knock the hell out of the 10-ring of the target

Old 01-30-2010, 09:46 PM   #5

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

I use a pair of shooting frames that allow you to adjust the lenses so that you are looking through the optical center of the lens. You are most likely not looking through the center of your current lenses, but through the upper inside corner where the lens is thinner and distorts your view.

Have a lens made that gives you the best focus at the distance between your eye and your front sight.

Champion's Choice - Product Catalog - Safety Accessories

Old 01-30-2010, 10:46 PM   #6

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Hi guys,

I have a problem!

I was at the range last week thursday with my newly bought Sig P226.
I had two other gys shoot it. Both police officers with the german police. One of them is a gunsmith and shooting instructor for the police the other a regular ploce officer. Both are goot shooters.
Both hit the target dead center, so the sig is setup perfectly.
No issue there.

Now, when I shoot the Sig, all hit are at 09:00h outside the target.
I am am far sighted and wear correctional glasses (approx. + 1.5 on each eye). Also I have a irregular curvature of the cornea and therefor have a optical cylinder in the glasses.

So, after wasting about 50 or 60 rounds of ammo, the shooting instructor suggested to take off my glasses.
Now when shooting without my glasses on, the rounds hit the target pretty much dead center (a bit to the left at 09:00h on the target, but visible).
The only problem is, that I can`t get the sights focused, only the target.

Has anybody had a similar issue and does anybody have any suggestions on what to do?

PS When I say whithout glasses on, I of course have on my safety glasses! Other than that, the SIG is perfect.
Are you cross eye dominant? That may cause the 9:00 issue, that or a trigger finger issue.

I have a similar issue with focusing on the front sights. I have found that a pair of those mini bifocals they sell at Walmart under my safety glasses work fine. They let me see the front sight when I need to but allow me to look over the frame to the target.

Check out some of the articles here

The Eyes Have It | American Handgunner | Find Articles at BNET

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-31-2010, 01:15 AM   #7

Liked 719 Times on 496 Posts
Likes Given: 744

It does sound like you are looking through the top of the lense, not the center. You will get some distortion. Are you shooting w/ just your right eye/ left/ or both? If you are looking down the barrel w/ your head square (both eyes an equal distance) from the rear sight that can through off your focus also. Are your arms strait, or bent slightly? I had to modify my stanse, arm position and head when my eyes got bad. BTW, Good choice on the Sig. My P6 is silly accurate.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:57 PM   #8

Hi guys,

I don`t know what you mean by cross eye dominant.
I aim with my right eye and I am right handed.

It could very well be, that I am noch looking though the center of my glasses when aiming.
Is there any way to figure that out without aiming at somebody (with a unloaded pistol, of course....)?

Old 01-31-2010, 07:47 PM   #9

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Hi guys,

I don`t know what you mean by cross eye dominant.
I aim with my right eye and I am right handed.

It could very well be, that I am noch looking though the center of my glasses when aiming.
Is there any way to figure that out without aiming at somebody (with a unloaded pistol, of course....)?
Aim at a mirror??

That or take up point shooting!

My guess is that's what you're doing when you remove your RX glasses. Mentally you know you have removed your mechanical sight correction and your body goes to the "natural" point shooting.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-31-2010, 09:27 PM   #10

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Take up your normal shooting stance and aim at a distant "target". Have a friend with a marker place a small dot on your glasses after you guide them to the point where your sights align. Doing it that way prevents you from changing your natural stance and head position, to correct yourself like you might do (unconsciously) while looking at yourself in a mirror.

You could actually have a bi-focal ground into your normal glasses at that spot too I suppose.