Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Girlfriend-safe Rifle?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/girlfriend-safe-rifle-105461/)

isaac318 03-25-2014 11:41 PM

Girlfriend-safe Rifle??

I'm thinking about purchasing a rifle for my girlfriend and wanted some recommendations.

She is fairly small so nothing over powering. She has been able to shoot my .410 over/under with pretty good accuracy and control. However i'm looking for something with more practical uses.

I understand .22LR are difficult to come by and wouldn't mind finding a caliber that is both inexpensive and widely available. What's a good alternative to .22?

To reiterate, what do you guys suggest for a long gun that doesn't use .22 ammo and would be good for someone who is undersized. Basically I need a gun for a child.

Thanks!

Axxe55 03-25-2014 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaac318 (Post 1539861)
I'm thinking about purchasing a rifle for my girlfriend and wanted some recommendations.

She is fairly small so nothing over powering. She has been able to shoot my .410 over/under with pretty good accuracy and control. However i'm looking for something with more practical uses.

I understand .22LR are difficult to come by and wouldn't mind finding a caliber that is both inexpensive and widely available. What's a good alternative to .22?

To reiterate, what do you guys suggest for a long gun that doesn't use .22 ammo and would be good for someone who is undersized. Basically I need a gun for a child.

Thanks!

a 22 rimfire would still be my first suggestion, simply because i believe that 22 ammo will become more plentiful and reasonably priced sometime in the future.

honestly, i can't think of any centerfire caliber that would be as cheap as a 22 and not have recoil that might shy her away from shooting.

Vincine 03-25-2014 11:50 PM

A 9mm carbine??

donthav1 03-26-2014 12:04 AM

17 HMR has been plentiful around here when everything else has been scarce, maybe a bolt gun in that caliber? you can get a savage or marlin package gun with scope for around $250 here.

SSGN_Doc 03-26-2014 12:05 AM

I built an AR15 for my wife, who is recoil sensitive. She likes it a lot. .223 ammo is getting pretty obtainable again in my area.

eatmydust 03-26-2014 12:11 AM

Anything in .223 or .243 should be pretty GF safe.

John_Deer 03-26-2014 12:24 AM

Pistol caliber carbine or a AR15. My wife has a Hi Point 9mm carbine she really likes. Everything about the Hi Point fits her perfectly. I feel for the home invader that tries to come in on her. If you want to impress your G/F buy a Beretta Storm. You will be $700 lighter but it is a nice rifle.

winds-of-change 03-26-2014 01:01 AM

I am quite short. I own a youth model Henry Lever. Look at some youth model rifles for her. As for caliber, mine is .22 and I find enough ammo to keep shooting it. It's not plentiful but I can find it. I also fine subsonic .22 more often than regular .22 and it works in my lever action just fine.

JonM 03-26-2014 03:27 AM

Ar15, m1 carbine, levergun in a pistol caliber, and take her shopping and let her choose.

Original 03-26-2014 05:30 AM

Like Donthav1 I like the .17 hummer, but in your case, I would say get one of the $500 AR's that are fine starter guns and with the right buffer she would not notice recoil, then a .22 kit for the AR and you have a very useable practice rifle and a bit more power for home protection with the .223
I noticed that a young man had an PLR Keltek carbine in the classified area if you want a less evil black rifle look, it has a red dot on it, motivated seller, I do not know the seller. The Kel Tek folds for compact carry or storage , I like mine very much, Hehe, they are FUD approved..