Getting worse - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Getting worse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2010, 08:14 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I don't have to worry about flinching. The gun sits on a 45 pound tripod and with a 250 round belt, I will hit what I aim at most of the time.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #12

Greg,
I teach my students trigger pull with a different method than some use. I have them concentrate during all firing, especially dry firing, on pulling the trigger slowly and smoothly all the way to the mechanical stop, and not think about when it is going to go off. Put a dime on the barrel and do the practice, with the follow-through all the way to the stop, until you can keep it easily balanced. As you pull, you don't ease up on the trigger until you actually feel the resistance of the trigger stop. And yes, depending on caliber and barrel length, you can have issues with not using a strong enough grip or wrist lock.

Rick

Old 06-04-2010, 09:45 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg View Post
Thanks for all the help. I'll try some of these things next time I shoot
Greg,
Since 5-30 when you first posted your message, how much have you practiced?

You have some good suggestions here. Try to apply some of the suggestions next time you practice. See what works best for you.

Muscle memory is learned by training much like going to the gym on a regular basis.

Practicing often is important. 50 rounds three times a week is probably going to do more for you than 200 rounds once a month.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:41 PM   #14

nice topic. practice dose not make perfect. Perfect practice MAKES PERFECT .The wall drill is perfect practice. dont over do your range time because you can build moor bad habits. Shoot close range and build from there. shooting is a HEAD GAME............

Last edited by joshfireart; 06-04-2010 at 11:46 PM. Reason: wanted it perfect

Old 06-05-2010, 01:51 AM   #15

Liked 780 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR4 View Post
Greg, this is what I do. It's called wall drills. I will find a wall with nothing on it and with end of the gun 1 inch away from the wall I cock the hammer and as I'm squeezing the trigger I watch the front sight to see if it moves.

If it is pulling the sight left or right reevaluate how much of your trigger finger is in the trigger guard and adjust. You should be using the pad of your trigger finger.

Another thing that can cause this is when you are pulling the trigger you are also squeezing the rest of your strong hand fingers. Learn to move your trigger finger only. Practice wall drills everyday and you will build the muscle memory.
I do a similar drill using a cheap, i mean really cheap, laser. I zero it to put the dot right on top of the front sight and point it to an empty wall, after clearing the weapon, loading in a snap cap and dougle checking that the gun is unloaded. When I pull the trigger I look to see how much the dot moves on the wall. The direction of movement helps me diagnose any potential grip or triggering issues similar to the miss chart below:

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 06-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #16
ET1

Trigger control seems to be the hardest thing to master. I started shooting young and quickly learned that I lost my allowance to my brother if I flinched because we bet on everything we did.. I hated watching my brother spend my allowance and worked for a solid summer to control the kick from my guns. Money is a powerful incentive. Every time you miss the bullseye from 20yards donate a dollar to the NRA. I bet you get better real quick.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:32 PM   #17

Default Flinching

Flinching is a natural nervous response or reflex to an acquired fear.

How to avoid a flinch while shooting?
First off the flinch can be timed to the systolic and diastolic cycle, or, the heart beating which understanding is primordial especially for tactical shooters, and is intensified while we inhale or we can relax it when we exhale.

Control the annoying reflex this way:

Count mentally and do the following:

ONE, hold your weapon pointing to the front and down at aprox 45 degrees below your sight level, next to you chest cavity, the trigger finger extended along the barrel.
(In a real situation, this position keeps an assailant from grabbing your sidearm, while you can use the other hand to deflect any attempt)

TWO, raise and extend your weapon, present and acquire the target, while inhaling.

THREE, while you exhale, press the trigger in a deliberate manner.
If you exhale and didn't fire your weapon inhale again in the same position and while exhaling fire your weapon.

While you practice this controlled way, something curious happens,
you'll notice the flinch appears when you are not pressing the trigger, as soon as you present your weapon
(the trigger finger twitches and the gun moves to either side), which means you are, while exercising this manner, creating a new timing, a healthy one, different of that of the flinching reflex which was "learned" inadvertently.

Last edited by gatopardo; 07-24-2010 at 09:37 PM.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:38 AM   #18

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
I do a similar drill using a cheap, i mean really cheap, laser. I zero it to put the dot right on top of the front sight and point it to an empty wall, after clearing the weapon, loading in a snap cap and dougle checking that the gun is unloaded. When I pull the trigger I look to see how much the dot moves on the wall. The direction of movement helps me diagnose any potential grip or triggering issues similar to the miss chart below:

Great advice Jpyle...can't wait to finally get my gun in the coming months to give this a go. Can I ask though; what kind of laser are you talking about? I think most except the weakest kind are illegal here (yeah how surprising lol)

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 07-27-2010, 11:54 AM   #19

Liked 2059 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I use a Walther P22 for trigger control and traget practice to hone skills, and its cheep to shoot. Very little recoil and you get used to it, forgetting about recoil when you shoot your carry pistol.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:17 PM   #20

Liked 780 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
Great advice Jpyle...can't wait to finally get my gun in the coming months to give this a go. Can I ask though; what kind of laser are you talking about? I think most except the weakest kind are illegal here (yeah how surprising lol)
Just a standard rail mounted lasersight I got on e-bay for about $20.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington