Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Getting worse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2010, 02:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Getting worse

I recently began getting into handgun shooting. I've shot a couple rounds here and there all my life, but recently began focusing on getting better. Bottom line is I really suck.

I think my problem is trigger control. To fix this problem I've loaded a magazine with a mix of real rounds and snap caps. This is when I noticed my excessive flinching. I don't know why I do it. I know it's going to kick and go bang but yet I still flinch lol. Any suggestions besides the snap caps?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-31-2010, 02:38 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

you know its gonna go pop and bang, but you might not know when. thats all i can think of. be sure of your shot, and be confident...meaning dont think every shot is gonna shoot, KNOW every shot is gonna fire.
i would say fire it slow, and maybe dryfire it and find out where the trigger breaks.

also the flinching could be caused by you trying to counter the recoil by flinching, or lunging forward. make sure you have a good solid grip. make sure your grip is as high on the barrel axis as possible, without getting slide bite. that will give you more control, and help reduce muzzle flip. your gonna want your recoil to be absorbed by the body.

Speak softly and carry a big stick...just know how to use it.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:18 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I know what you mean, being pretty much a newb myself - I can suck badly sometimes, heh.

Maybe this might help - as mcramer mentioned, you might be gripping too hard - plus when I started shooting I was told to put 75% of your grip into the NON-dominant hand, your 'trigger' hand ought to be just holding the gun lightly, with the emphasis on gently squeezing the trigger straight back slowly, no jerking...the shot should come as a kind of "surprise" if you see what i mean.

You might be over-anticipating the shot firing and flinching results. I try to not think about *when* the shot will break, but just focus all my attention on the front sights and where I'm aiming...and the shot just happens while I'm doing that.

Make any sense at all? I'm sure if it doesn't there are those here with a wealth of experience who can help you out

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 05-31-2010, 06:42 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know I have to get more control over my shooting technique with hand guns. I tend to anticipate the recoil and I pull the gun up and to the left. I would tear the hell out of someones shoulder tho.

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off!" - Dirty Harry

Old 05-31-2010, 09:18 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg View Post
I recently began getting into handgun shooting. I've shot a couple rounds here and there all my life, but recently began focusing on getting better. Bottom line is I really suck.

I think my problem is trigger control. To fix this problem I've loaded a magazine with a mix of real rounds and snap caps. This is when I noticed my excessive flinching. I don't know why I do it. I know it's going to kick and go bang but yet I still flinch lol. Any suggestions besides the snap caps?
You are pulling the trigger, a little more, you begin to tense up cause you know it is going to fire, a little more, then finally, bang. By that time you have already flinched. Try accepting the fact that the gun is naturally going to rise. Don't worry about the limp wrist. Let the gun do what it naturally wants to do and you will leave the range after 100 or more rounds without feeling like your wrists are going to fall off. You can work on double taps latter.

You might also try a DAO 9 mm short trigger pistol 3.2-4" barrel length with no more than 5-6 lb. of trigger pull.

The right tool for the job can make a huge difference.

Last edited by sigp250; 05-31-2010 at 09:51 AM.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:48 AM   #6

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Muscle memory. It's good to know where in the squeeze of the trigger where it breaks. Many times we anticipate the shot to the point we get overprepared and by the time the hammer drops you have already pulled the muzzle away from the target. A fixed point...A spot on a wall etc makes a great aim point. Dry firing a weapon and teaching yourself exactly where it breaks will take away some of that anxiety. It also shows what happens to the muzzle at the point of the trigger break. It's a little easier to see your mistakes in exercises like this. And practice, practice, practice.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:44 PM   #7

Thanks for all the help. I'll try some of these things next time I shoot

Old 05-31-2010, 02:03 PM   #8

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

A few tips found here...

ARIZONA CCW PERMIT COURSE - Fundamentals of Pistol Marksmanship

Also recall seeing a target with the hits marked out to indicate common aiming problems. That would be helpful in diagnosing your issues and helping to correct them. Poor aiming habits are like a hook or a slice in golf, once it gets in muscle memory you can spend a lifetime correcting it.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 06-02-2010, 12:09 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I dont have anybody to give me shooting lessons and frankly i shoot better than my buddies.

I am very new also this is what i do.
*Relax, take a deep breath. Even do a little wiggle thing to loosen you up.
*Get a good and firm but not a death grip on the gun. Pay attention where your trigger finger is, on the slid start getting into the habit of that!
*then take aim. the i squeeze back on the trigger until it fires. I think your arms and the gun naturally comes back to the point of your original aim.

Just take your time and relax relax relax. It comes pretty natural to me. you'll get better with practice.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:53 PM   #10
VR4

Greg, this is what I do. It's called wall drills. I will find a wall with nothing on it and with end of the gun 1 inch away from the wall I cock the hammer and as I'm squeezing the trigger I watch the front sight to see if it moves.

If it is pulling the sight left or right reevaluate how much of your trigger finger is in the trigger guard and adjust. You should be using the pad of your trigger finger.

Another thing that can cause this is when you are pulling the trigger you are also squeezing the rest of your strong hand fingers. Learn to move your trigger finger only. Practice wall drills everyday and you will build the muscle memory.

MY IDPA/USPSA VIDEO'S

http://www.youtube.com/user/VR4154#p/u