getting some good training

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > getting some good training

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 05:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3147 Times on 1875 Posts
Likes Given: 2198

Default getting some good training

i was hoping some of y'all might be able to point me in the right direction here.

i've been shooting as a hobby more regularly in the last 4-5 years. i've gotten lots of tips from outstanding marksman in many forums.

but i have great opportunity coming up this weekend. a former marine marksmanship instructor is volunteering some time to give me some shooting tips, as well as another marine with combat experience.

i want to gain the most i can from this time.

i want to learn the basics from these pros, such as shooting positions, use of sling, porper techniques, etc. i'll likely be shooting an AR and a 22 pistol. so here is my question;

could y'all think of any other shooting or gun skills that i could request training on? what in your opinion, are the most valuable skills/techniques i could learn from these guys in a few hours?

thanks for any input

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3112 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1322

I would say that any instructor can see what you need training on and can gear the lesson to what you need.

That is who you should be asking. And it only take a few shots for a good instructor to see where you need assistance.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Longrange Likes This 
Old 06-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #3

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl
I would say that any instructor can see what you need training on and can gear the lesson to what you need.

That is who you should be asking. And it only take a few shots for a good instructor to see where you need assistance.
Agree. And most people have more difficulty with long range precision shots for obvious reasons. I dont know if you will be doing any of that? But that is what seams to be the hardest to master.

But yes a good instructor will see what you need help with with in the first 10 min.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

Why wouldn't you do the training with your carry gun?
He should go through shooting techniques, malfunction handling,drawing and aiming etc. I'm sure they are all on his list.
Again I would say just about worthless if its not your carry gun.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Why wouldn't you do the training with your carry gun?
He should go through shooting techniques, malfunction handling,drawing and aiming etc. I'm sure they are all on his list.
Again I would say just about worthless if its not your carry gun.
well, i don't actually have a carry gun, as i don't currently carry. i understand your point though.

but i don't think it will be worthless either. i've really never received personal instruction before, i'm closer to self taught.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post

fair enough and you're right of course. i just wanted to see if there were any specific skills some thought i should try and push for training on.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy

well, i don't actually have a carry gun, as i don't currently carry. i understand your point though.

but i don't think it will be worthless either. i've really never received personal instruction before, i'm closer to self taught.
Well if you don't have a carry gun then I suppose the .22 is better than nothing. There is always value to training, you just won't get nearly as much good out of it if its not familiarizing you with your gun. If you can I would recommend getting a carry gun before the training and using it in the training.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:23 AM   #8

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Hawk, any training is good training for the most part. If you haven't already become a member of a TX. based firearms forum and get in touch w/ whats going on locally. The KS. site has an entire section dedicated to different instructional groups.

Training isn't cheap and it's a diminishing skill over time. Most carbine classes incorporate primary and secondary transitions so you'll get instruction on your carbine and handgun of choice. I would not limit my training to your carry weapon. If you own it it could end up being the firearm that may one day use to protect yourself. Be familiar w/ them all.

A .22 is cheap to shoot but may not be the best choice. Classes can at times be higher paced. You don't want to be the guy holding up the show because of a malfunctioning weapon.

I also wouldn't concentrate on shooting at distance. It is nice to know but I feel learning proper technique/manipulation for shooting/moving 100+/- and in is more practical. How often do you think you'll be behind a bench when you really need to put your skills to work?

Old 06-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3112 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1322

I wonder how it went?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 361 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 645

Come visit us in Oklahoma. We have two of the best schools in the world here. www.tdsatulsa.com and www.usshootingacademy.com

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.