Getting the point across: Instructor tales

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Getting the point across: Instructor tales

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2014, 02:52 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1970 Times on 1366 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Default Getting the point across: Instructor tales

One time I was in a pistol class with an active duty Marine. The instructor was ex Navy. He told the student to squeeze gently "like making love for the first time". He paused momentarily and then added helpfully: "To a woman".

Any memorable teaching points from your training or teaching? Shoot!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-06-2014, 03:23 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 507 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Well when I moved back to Texas last year I had to retake my certification for Armed security as mine had lapsed in TX and the requirements had changed. They added self defense techniques to the class and the instructor did not like the fact that I told him the techniques he was showing were worthless(Palm strikes and other stupid stuff) and I could show him a more effective and simple way to defend. Well he called me out and tried to hit me with a palm strike to the head and I put him in MACH 1 and put him on his ass. He then tried a few more stupid moves and each time I used a MACH technique on him and dropped him on his ass without hurting him. I then ended up teaching him and the class how to use them oh and then I outshot everyone on the range as well.

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

therukh Likes This 
Old 06-06-2014, 06:58 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8885 Times on 3847 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

With my kids and grandkids, on their first shooting experience- 22 Hi Velocity HP, unopened can of soda. Blow up soda can in a fairly spectacular fashion. Clear rifle, have munchkin fetch can, we sit and talk for a minute.

Let them examine can. Explain that the expression "It's only a .22" was stupid. The destroyed can illustrates the first basic rule of firearm safety- never point gun at anything you do not wish to destroy.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Highpower Likes This 
Old 06-07-2014, 01:09 AM   #4

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Skip ahead to the 10 minute mark and just watch the next two minutes.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:37 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
Skip ahead to the 10 minute mark and just watch the next two minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGOMCYvAAPc
The line about making love, so it's not so new after all... LOL @10:44

Old 06-07-2014, 03:42 AM   #6

Liked 2202 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 479

Familiarization firing with some security force Marines. One Staff Sergeant showed a nice technique of using the middle finger of the strong hand for operating the trigger on an MP5 with the index finger pointed forward. Then he placed the support hand index finger along the forend also pointed forward. He then demonstrated how pointing with both fingers he could hit most targets by just pointing both index fingers at he target and squeezing the trigger without using the sights. He also taught us several different methods if getting a sidearm up and running, and keeping it running with only one hand.

The one hand techniques came in handy on a deployment where I had to unholster, chamber a round and point at a guy rushing a vehicle while I was driving. An Army Captain didn't believe I could get a round chambered with only one hand and keeping my other hand on the steering wheel. I told him it was because he hasn't received small arms training from Marines.

Old 06-07-2014, 03:46 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Familiarization firing with some security force Marines. One Staff Sergeant showed a nice technique of using the middle finger of the strong hand for operating the trigger on an MP5 with the index finger pointed forward. Then he placed the support hand index finger along the forend also pointed forward. He then demonstrated how pointing with both fingers he could hit most targets by just pointing both index fingers at he target and squeezing the trigger without using the sights. He also taught us several different methods if getting a sidearm up and running, and keeping it running with only one hand.

The one hand techniques came in handy on a deployment where I had to unholster, chamber a round and point at a guy rushing a vehicle while I was driving. An Army Captain didn't believe I could get a round chambered with only one hand and keeping my other hand on the steering wheel. I told him it was because he hasn't received small arms training from Marines.
using the rear sight?

Old 06-07-2014, 03:50 AM   #8

Liked 2202 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
using the rear sight?
Yes. Hooked it on the holster and drove the pistol forward. I guess it seemed revolutionary to some folks in the 90s. The technique seems more commonly known now.