Functional accuracy. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Functional accuracy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2009, 06:50 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I routinely load a snap cap in magazines for shooters that are shooting with me for the first few times, just to show them how much they are anticipating the recoil. It's an invaluable tool.

I have loaded spent brass before and it always seems to throw the shooter off. I have never had any damage or issue. Usually the spent brass will not clear the mag and causes a follow up.

Rarely do I do a quick action drill with a new, inexperienced shooter though. I have them set the weapon down so we can look at the issue together and explain what happened and why. Then down the line we go into reactions and what to do.

Realistic training is the best training and you can never do too much in my opinion. Even dry fire practice, done correctly, can get you to a whole new level of confident in the weapon.

Good stuff.

JD

Old 11-30-2009, 08:03 PM   #12

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter girl View Post
Thank you very much, and you are correct. That is one thing I don't like about these cheap targets. They get you to focus on the red instead of where you should be shooting (I am guilty of it). Do it enough and it becomes habit. But the other targets are twice as expensive., they even have some that are supposed to be anatomical, with outlines of the lungs and other major organs. But those are three times as expensive.

I think I might just start collecting cardboard and making my own.
Nice shooting. Just a thought, you might want to look at IDPA paper targets. They have no strong colors etc just faint scoring areas and are pretty cheap when you buy from Midwayusa.com. I think they come in 50 or 100 packs and are lifesize head/torso. Another neat trick if your range allows it is to drape cheap old/used t-shirts or shirts (I buy them from a Salvation Army store for .25 a piece) over cardboard targets so you don't concentrate on the color centers etc. Great way to learn to shoot COM without scoring guidelines.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:56 PM   #13

How much are we talking about?

Thanks.

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows great enthusiasm, great devotion, and the triumph of achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those odd and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have had to fight for it life has truly a flavour the protected shall never know."

Old 11-30-2009, 09:23 PM   #14

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
How much are we talking about?

Thanks.
$28.95 + Shipping for 100 Targets.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=130695

Last edited by Wambli; 11-30-2009 at 09:26 PM.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:30 PM   #15

Thanks. Not too bad.

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows great enthusiasm, great devotion, and the triumph of achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those odd and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have had to fight for it life has truly a flavour the protected shall never know."

Old 11-30-2009, 09:39 PM   #16

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

You can try theses too. I have used these before. They are reasonably priced and the woman in the hostage targets looks like my ex-succubus......so I just shoot them both, no loss there and I gain two target sites.

Target Pasters & Silhouette Targets

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 11-30-2009, 09:45 PM   #17

Thanks much.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:13 PM   #18

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
That is a good idea. Thanks.

Would simply loading a round with a bullet, spent primer and no powder be advisable?

Also, would loading a round intentionally out of specs, no powder or primer, so it does not chamber properly be a problem for the gun?
I also use snap caps if I have them, if you don't have snap caps you can reload rounds, resixing and seating a bullet and crimping it just don't load powder and I also leave the primer pocket empty just so my firing pin is not hitting anything and it's easy to check which are dummy rounds from loaded rounds. Cost less then buying snap caps too.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:39 AM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Really worthwhile post, Shooter Girl!

I can vouch for the importance of practising under adrenalin-charged stress, but just not with firearms It's precisely what we do in my krav maga class - you cannot possibly realise how much your fine motor skills degrade and you become very leaden-footed when that full-on adrenalin kicks in, and it's important to train under those circumstances and learn to perform despite that hormonal tumult.

I could only imagine it would go 100x for firearms defence!

(but that's something I will never have to consider)

As for dummy/snap caps practice, during our compulsory pistol holster course for IPSC the instructors inserted random dummy rounds in our mags prior to the drills so we had to clear them asap on the fly. Good practice, and even better for a defence scenario I would think

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 01-07-2010, 02:11 PM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Great thread. I agree 100% on the dry fire practice. I've been doing a lot of that and it has helped tremendously. Fifty yards into a torso (~10-12") is no problem standing off hand shooting one round every ~1.5 seconds. With the butt of the gun resting on something, that easily extends to 75 yards. I am confident with more practice I could consistently put rounds onto a silhouette at 100 yards at a reasonable pace from a crude support position (pistol's butt on any surface, like a car hood).

It was a new range and I was with slightly shaker people so I didn't get to do any draw and shoot drills. However I do lots of dry fire practice in those (and yes, with the DA trigger and safety off since thats how I carry), and am pretty sure I can still put rounds where they need to go to at least 10 yards. If I am practicing shooting targets at longer distances, I typically cock the hammer when raising the weapon, so I can get used to readying the pistol for further shots more quickly.

The reason I do so much long-range shooting and practice is because I don't have a centerfire rifle, so my PT92 is my entire combat armament :P .

Good thread!