Functional accuracy.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Functional accuracy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Functional accuracy.

We have all heard it. Functional accuracy all but vanishes when we are stressed.

If I have seen it once I have seen it a thousand times. Some guy or girl at the range steady plinking targets, perfect stance, never drawing from their concealed holster. Just burning off ammo, and thinking it is going to help them during their moment of truth.

Hopefully that day never comes for anyone. But if it does we, as responsible gun owners, need to train like that day could come soon.

Yes, plinking targets at the range is better than letting that gun sit in your drawer while you think about practicing, and yes drawing from your holster and going through drills is better than just plinking targets. But it is always a good idea to occasionally stress your body, and shoot tired, heart racing, muscles aching, because we can not accurately recreate the emotions or physical stresses one encounters during a defensive shooting, so we do the next best thing. We wear ourselves out, then shoot our course of fire.

The below picture was taken just doing normal drills. Three rounds from the concealed holster at 15 yards in under four seconds, and four rounds from the concealed holster in under five seconds. I didn't do any failure to stop drills or anything special like that. Just easy basic drills, using the sights. Not point shooting.

Then I went and drank a couple coffees, went out back and did suicides for about ten minutes, Did two sets of pyramid pull ups and did push ups till I couldn't do them any more. Went right back inside and did the same course of fire, with the same pistol, and the same number of rounds.

Still not too shabby. But as we can see, it was no where near as good as doing it fresh, so just imagine what those groups would be like if I was actually stressed because I thought someone was going to kill me.

Practice practice practice.

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows great enthusiasm, great devotion, and the triumph of achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those odd and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have had to fight for it life has truly a flavour the protected shall never know."

Last edited by Shooter girl; 11-30-2009 at 05:12 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-30-2009, 05:49 PM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Great post SG and spot on for truth.

Just a point of reference of major organ and soft tissue damage suggestions, FFR, for everyone and not criticism.

If you purposely bring your aim up just a tad as you draw, point and shoot, you will not only hit center mass, heart and lung area, but as you continue to fire, you will put rounds in and tear out the upper lobes of his lungs and bronchial tree, take out the BG's aortic arch and puncture/sever his trachea, besides major soft tissue damage to his major blood vessels, vena cava and neck carotid and jugular veins. That does not include a head shot. Hit any of these systems.....he will indeed slow down.

Again, good shooting and information SG, and Physical Training is indeed important and mighty fine. Hooahh!

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 11-30-2009, 06:03 PM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Well, guess the liver and onions for breakfast will have to go in the trash! Thanks EVEN, needed to loose a little weight anyway!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:07 PM   #4

Thank you very much, and you are correct. That is one thing I don't like about these cheap targets. They get you to focus on the red instead of where you should be shooting (I am guilty of it). Do it enough and it becomes habit. But the other targets are twice as expensive., they even have some that are supposed to be anatomical, with outlines of the lungs and other major organs. But those are three times as expensive.

I think I might just start collecting cardboard and making my own.

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows great enthusiasm, great devotion, and the triumph of achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those odd and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have had to fight for it life has truly a flavour the protected shall never know."

Old 11-30-2009, 06:12 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Really good shooting!

Excellent post and some really good points there. Being able to hit a man sized target when under duress is a definite must if you are going to carry a weapon or plan on using that weapon at ANY point in your life.

Practice like you would have to fight, and that includes practicing shooting and reloading with one hand. Because you never know.

Plus 1 on this thread.

JD

Old 11-30-2009, 06:28 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Excellent points and well made. Thanks SG.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-30-2009, 06:31 PM   #7

Thanks guys.

Something one of the guys at the range suggested to my sister and I today is loading each others mags. That way when the gun runs dry it is a surprise, and also occasionally have whoever is not shooting tell you that you had a missfire and attempt to clear it and finish the drill.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:03 PM   #8

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter girl View Post
Thanks guys.

Something one of the guys at the range suggested to my sister and I today is loading each others mags. That way when the gun runs dry it is a surprise, and also occasionally have whoever is not shooting tell you that you had a missfire and attempt to clear it and finish the drill.
Great post SG, here is a little tid bit I use with my officers. When you or your sister load each others mags slip in a dummy round every now and then. When your weapon goes click whey you think it will go bang will start your heart pumping also, rember Tap, Rack and reengage. Again great post.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:11 PM   #9

That is a good idea. Thanks.

Would simply loading a round with a bullet, spent primer and no powder be advisable?

Also, would loading a round intentionally out of specs, no powder or primer, so it does not chamber properly be a problem for the gun?

Old 11-30-2009, 07:18 PM   #10

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter girl View Post
That is a good idea. Thanks.

Would simply loading a round with a bullet, spent primer and no powder be advisable?

Also, would loading a round intentionally out of specs, no powder or primer, so it does not chamber properly be a problem for the gun?
Use snap caps, and watch for muzzle movement when it doesn't go bang. Movement = trigger jerk!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello