Frustrated and asking for help! - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Frustrated and asking for help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 12:26 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Consistency in your basics will make better shot patterns. Sometimes when you don't shoot for awhile or just get fustrated consistency and basics goes out the door even when you think you are doing it properly. Check out this link for Todd Jarrett. He really has some good advice on this clip. I found that by changing the grip(my hold) made a world of difference. I shoot with both my thumbs pointing down range now, and helps me prevents overtighting my grip on the pistol, which threw a lot of my shots off. Everyone is different so you will have to find your own process, and practice a lot.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:47 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Breath
Relax
Aim
Squeeze
Suprise

The Brass acronym.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:56 AM   #13

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Pay particular attention to not thinking about the details. Concentrate on not concentrating. The days when I shoot like crap (Every day I've gone, so far!) I find that I am adjusting my trigger finger 150 times, or getting myself cross-eyed trying to make sure the sights are dead-on, or trying to find my perfect balance point on the balls of my feet. Or like when I went shooting with Cane, trying not to crap my pants.
On the days when I shoot best (And I learned this from years of sucking like an Electrolux at golf, and decades of throwing pretty good darts.) I'm completely downrange. The mechanics are established, and it's simply a matter of letting Zen have its way. There's nothing more fun than the times when you just can't miss, and those times are when you aren't sweating the petty things. It's more like petting the sweaty things. I made my hole-in-one a couple of years ago, and halfway through the swing, I thought to myself "This is in the jar." Sure, there are quantifiable mechanical adjustments you can make to fix defined problems, but it's the intangibles that put you on the X every time. Or the Q if you're shooting the jug target.
That said, I can't tell you how to get to The Zone. I just know that being there RAWKS!

Old 03-08-2010, 02:11 AM   #14

Liked 5011 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Default Mythbusters

Quote:
Originally Posted by stungunmike View Post
A very accurate documentary on how to fire handguns effectively is the movie "Wanted" with Angelina Jolie. After watching the movie and duplicating their training techniques I'm sure you will see your accuracy improve 10 fold.
Did you catch the Myth Busters episode on this? They actualy build a machine and tried to "curve" the bullet like in the movie. Hillarious! Thank god for Hollywood, that's were most of our potential adversaries get their training

Old 03-08-2010, 02:25 AM   #15

Liked 5011 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Default Suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayonet_extended View Post
Hi,

I'm an excellent shot with a rifle, especially with open sights, but no matter how much I practice with handguns I'm still terrible. The best I can do (with nice guns, like a new Ruger GP100 and a Browning Hi Power in great condition) is maybe 3" groups at 15 feet on a really good day. On a bad day it's all over the target (like today).

When I practice dry-fire exercises I get a little better, but if I stop practicing for just a few days I go right back to being terrible. I'm working the basics of grip, sight picture, trigger squeeze, and breath control, but I just plain stink! I haven't noticed a consistent pattern to my groups - they are not low or off to one side, just lousy, wide groups all over the place. I'm not a newbie, but I can't say I've been very consistent with practice. It's discouraging because I don't seem to improve much.

Thanks for any suggestions!
First of all, 3" groups at 15 feet are not all that bad. I shoot with a lot of guys who'd be happy with that. There is a lot off good feedback here but break it down to the important ones.
1. Stop worrying about your breathing. Breathing is critical w/rifles but has minimum impact on handgun shooting.
2. Try a different grip. I assume your shooting 2 handed so wrap the knuckles of your weak hand over the knuckles of your strong hand and use weak hand pressure to "lightly" pull back on your strong hand. This will steady your sight picture considerably.
3. Focus on the front sight and a consistant sight picture, don't look for the holes until your done. This works better if you start w/3 round groups.
4. If possible, go to a mild recoiling target pistol, like a Ruger .22 LR. I shoot easily 10,000 rounds per year through my handguns and still occasionally find myself dropping the muzzle while pulling the trigger on an empty gun. Happens to the best of us

Old 03-08-2010, 04:16 AM   #16

Umm I'm new to this forum but I am good with a pistol if you need to work on your basics and can't can't get out to the range alot my suggest getting an airsoft pistol I know kids gun right but there good for working on basic hand placment sight pic.......etc.

You can get full metal ones for $15 on line, that I what I use when I can't get to the range and my groups got alot better.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:26 AM   #17

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Umm I'm new to this forum but I am good with a pistol if you need to work on your basics and can't can't get out to the range alot my suggest getting an airsoft pistol I know kids gun right but there good for working on basic hand placment sight pic.......etc.

You can get full metal ones for $15 on line, that I what I use when I can't get to the range and my groups got alot better.
Yeah, but when the wife vacuums the living room, look out !!

Old 03-08-2010, 12:41 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3279 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 339

Quote:
Originally Posted by stungunmike View Post
A very accurate documentary on how to fire handguns effectively is the movie "Wanted" with Angelina Jolie. After watching the movie and duplicating their training techniques I'm sure you will see your accuracy improve 10 fold.
I certainy hope the smiley face folloing your post indicates this is a joke, RIGHT? Your 1st post after introducing yourself is not the time to throw jokes around such serious subjects. We have a joke thread for that.

Not trying to be a ball breaker. It is just hard to get a handle on the mind of a new member with only 2 posts.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

Actually this is exactly what I do during the really cold winter days. It is great practice for sight picture and trigger control. It is good practice. Practice is practice be it airsoft or 45.

Tip:
I tape a target to an open paper bag. I slide a piece of cardboard that is exactly the width of the paper bag and high enough to sit in the bag at an angle. Angle the cardboard top tiped towards you and you basically make an air soft trap. The BB is strong enough to penetrate the bag but losses enough energy to not go through the cardboard. It just rattles around inside and gets trapped in the bag.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:46 PM   #20

The best way to practice to practice is by doing dry fire excercises. Make certain you memorize the basics (stance, grip, sight alignment, sight picture, trigger control, breath control {yes, breathing IS part of shooting any firearm, despite some other opinions} and follow through). Practice doing these things correctly each and every time while dry firing. All these basics should become natural and it takes approximately 3,000 repititions of an action to develope muscle memory.

There is absolutely no difference between dry fire and live fire aside from the noise and recoil. Nothing about your seven basics changes. Once you are fluid with ALL of the basics then add live fire into your practice sessions. If you are not doing everything correctly and consistantly during dry fire, and you start live fire training, you're just making noise. Keep at it and you'll get it.

Good luck.