Frustrated and asking for help!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Frustrated and asking for help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 12:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Frustrated and asking for help!

Hi,

I'm an excellent shot with a rifle, especially with open sights, but no matter how much I practice with handguns I'm still terrible. The best I can do (with nice guns, like a new Ruger GP100 and a Browning Hi Power in great condition) is maybe 3" groups at 15 feet on a really good day. On a bad day it's all over the target (like today).

When I practice dry-fire exercises I get a little better, but if I stop practicing for just a few days I go right back to being terrible. I'm working the basics of grip, sight picture, trigger squeeze, and breath control, but I just plain stink! I haven't noticed a consistent pattern to my groups - they are not low or off to one side, just lousy, wide groups all over the place. I'm not a newbie, but I can't say I've been very consistent with practice. It's discouraging because I don't seem to improve much.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-01-2010, 12:49 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Ive had much the same experience as you regarding rifle/pistol groups. Im still working on improving my handgun skills.
One thing I noticed I was doing when shooting at close range was letting my concentration drift since I could see the bullets striking the paper.
I was not following through/ staying focused on the front sight. I was searching for the bullet impact.
If not that, maybe a little "target panic" as it is referred to in the archery world.
Maybe have someone mix some snap caps into your magazine/cylinder.
Do that, maybe double up on the hearing protection (plugs and muffs) if flinching shows up with the snap caps.
Other than that keep at it with the dry and live fire and try to make every shot count.

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 03-01-2010, 01:39 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It's possible that you are flinching or anticipating the recoil. That's not an insult or anything. It's quite common. Try what doing what Gate said.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-01-2010, 02:02 AM   #4

Hi,
I know the feeling, perhaps it's your weapon of choice, or like CA357 eluded to, you are anticipating the recoil? I know I've shot a Browning High Power and simply did not like the weapon- it felt top heavy like several others I did not like shooting...
I can't speak for the Ruger.
Maybe try something that feels a little different, experiment with other handguns and maybe you'll find one that 'just feels right'.
Caliber could be another issue, where one might prefer a .45, .40, or .357, some folks are just more suited to a smaller caliber like a .380 or .32 and are wickedly accurate from the start. Lots to choose from even in the 9mm category.
Just a thought...
Jim

Old 03-01-2010, 02:13 AM   #5

Liked 1802 Times on 1003 Posts
Likes Given: 1177

I felt stupid the other day at the range. I was trying some really hot 45 auto. It was a heavy recoiling round. I had gone through several mags and hit a dud. I would never have admited it if I hadn't hit that dud round. But when that hammer fell I saw the front sight move. I obviously did it because it did not go off. It can happen to anyone. I normally have nice groups with practice ammo.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:45 AM   #6

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayonet_extended View Post
Hi,

I'm an excellent shot with a rifle, especially with open sights, but no matter how much I practice with handguns I'm still terrible. The best I can do (with nice guns, like a new Ruger GP100 and a Browning Hi Power in great condition) is maybe 3" groups at 15 feet on a really good day. On a bad day it's all over the target (like today).

When I practice dry-fire exercises I get a little better, but if I stop practicing for just a few days I go right back to being terrible. I'm working the basics of grip, sight picture, trigger squeeze, and breath control, but I just plain stink! I haven't noticed a consistent pattern to my groups - they are not low or off to one side, just lousy, wide groups all over the place. I'm not a newbie, but I can't say I've been very consistent with practice. It's discouraging because I don't seem to improve much.

Thanks for any suggestions!
I sense from your frustration that you are not a golfer or you would be familiar with inconsistent results. But seriously, as in golf, accurate shooting requires a proper mix of stance, grip, swing (triggering) and follow through (recoil management). Best advice is practice, practice, practice but seek help in identifying bad habits before they become ingrained.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-04-2010, 02:51 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

What really helped me early on in training was believe it or not, was a .22 pistol. A Ruger MK II.. Bull barrel.. After 1000 rounds, it seemed to be coming together. Grip, stance, finger placement on the trigger.. And Concentrate on one thing at a time. Also, everybody at the range had suggestions. Try one at a time. If it doesn't work, go back to what you know.. And shoot another 1000 rounds..
When you finally get consistent, pull out the bigger caliber pistol. You might surprise yourself.

Gunpowder Addict For 40 Years Now

Old 03-05-2010, 06:40 PM   #8

A very accurate documentary on how to fire handguns effectively is the movie "Wanted" with Angelina Jolie. After watching the movie and duplicating their training techniques I'm sure you will see your accuracy improve 10 fold.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:33 PM   #9
jbd

i did the same thing yesicarry stated. get yourself a solid 22 handgun to practice you will really learn about the way u shoot sight pic, control, ect. the 22 ammo is also so much cheaper to practice with. it really helped me alot maybe it will work for you too.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:02 PM   #10

Yeah I feel you for me sometimes its concentration that spaces my shots wide! When I really focus (Jpyle's proper mix) I get a nice grouping each and every time. I have been hitting the range 3 times per week just to make sure that I become extremely proffecient with my handgun so for me practice has been the key to keep it consistent. Good luck!