Fitness and Firearms - Page 3

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Fitness and Firearms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2010, 03:57 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

This is a great reminder for all of us guys who focus more on our guns than or bodies and our minds. Our minds and our bodies the real weapon. The gun is simply our tool. Fortunately, I started working out at age 15 and never looked back. I've slowed down a lot and realized that cardio and endurance work outs are much more important than building a huge muscle mass. Its a great benefit to becoming a better person and shooter. I encourage everyone to work out.

Just to highlight the cardio aspect...a month of trying to survive the Alaskan wilderness and the average male will lose around 7-13 pounds of muscle. Not to mention that the more muscle you have the more oxygen your blood has to carry to those specific muscles which is why bulky heavy weight fighters tend to get gassed faster than the little guys, hence it is more important to be well conditioned than hugely muscular.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:59 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Great advice from all of you. I turn 30 in 2 days and I'm in better shape now than I was at 25, but man it is already a whole helluva lot harder. I have to stay in shape as a firefighter (weights and cardio) but I always train paramilitary (pull-ups,sit-ups,weighted uphill walk) just cuz it adds a degree of discomfort that keeps me more ready for real world stuff. I think we all know that gun-toting (the commies are coming) gun nut, that you wonder if he realizes that in actual combat there is as much running as shooting; who tucks his 1911 under his bowling gut lol...

In god we trust, all others we monitor...