Fitness and Firearms - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Fitness and Firearms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2009, 04:11 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_sxt View Post
There is an overwhelming concept in the firearms community that all you need to do is carry your pistol and suddenly you will be superman, capable of taking on whole slews of badguys.
Yep. I used to know a guy who carried two to THREE (yes, three) 1911 pistols on his person at all times because he believed that one day he'd wind up in a gunfight that was so intense that he would not have time to reload any gun that ran dry. So he carried a minimum of two and quite often, three.

This "tacti-fool" had never been in the military or taken any sort of training, armed or unarmed, and he was also overweight and in such poor shape that walking up a normal flight of stairs made him huff and puff.

I told him once that he was nothing more than three free pistols to the first thug that merely pushed him over. He didn't talk to me after that.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:26 PM   #12

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Bump for reminder.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 12-07-2009, 05:21 AM   #13

To all combat (and support) personnel, both military and civilian, you have my respect.
Very interesting info from you guys.

1919:
Your chase comments reminded me of a question I've needed to ask for months.

For middle-aged guys (54) who run 25-30 minutes about 3-5 days per week, mostly on dirt trails winter through summer, is it true that jogging while carrying a 5-lb. tree branch would not improve cardio-vascular fitness?
It accelerates the heart quicker, but not better for a given time span?

My wife read that somewhere and she is a well-organized type 1 diabetic, who reads some articles in the diabetic magazine.
If not better during a run, then how about carrying extra weight during a nice one hour fast walk?

Last edited by Laufer; 12-07-2009 at 05:34 AM.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laufer
For middle-aged guys (54) who run 25-30 minutes about 3-5 days per week, mostly on dirt trails winter through summer, is it true that jogging while carrying a 5-lb. tree branch would not improve cardio-vascular fitness?
It accelerates the heart quicker, but not better for a given time span?

My wife read that somewhere and she is a well-organized type 1 diabetic, who reads some articles in the diabetic magazine.
If not better during a run, then how about carrying extra weight during a nice one hour fast walk?

First of all, let me say, welcome to the half century club. I personally supplement my runs and walks with a weighted vest. I can adjust the weight and most importantly, the weight is distributed on my upper body and shoulders front and back and is beneficial in building strength and stamina conditioning both cardiovascular and your lower body and legs.

Here is a link that explains the cardio exercise and strength benefits of using a weighted vest. I hope this helps. I was to lazy to explain it and this site did a great job of pointing out all the health benefits and some cautions.

Wearing a Weighted Vest While Doing Cardio - LoveToKnow Exercise

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

Old 12-09-2009, 05:36 AM   #15

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've got to disagree on the use of a weighted vest for running for running just for the fitness of it. I'd either recommend increasing the frequency or intensity of the same work out.

When I was in my best shape (5:30 mile PR, average about 5:50ish) I'd occasionally wear a weighted vest for up hill sprints. It'd help me during the sprint at the end of a race when you're dead tired, or during the entire 800m (I did cross country and track)

If you're just plain sick of running I'd suggest a new cardio activity.
Walking would work with a vest, or a ruck sack. Another cardio exercise I can't suggest enough is swimming. That ****'ll tire you out and there's no impact on your joints.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 12-31-2009, 09:41 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've been in and out of gyms and martial arts my whole life (started with tae kwon do, then karate, finally boxing) though if I don't have someone kicking me in the pants to motivate me I'm usually too lazy to get off my butt and work out. I know what to do and how to do it I just need to know how to stay motivated! Does anyone have any suggestions or maybe wanna take up a job as my personal trainer?

Old 12-31-2009, 09:54 PM   #17

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta1588 View Post
I know what to do and how to do it I just need to know how to stay motivated! Does anyone have any suggestions or maybe wanna take up a job as my personal trainer?
I had the same problem for years, I'd train hard for a while and then slowly start to loose interest.

A personal trainer worked well for me, I had one for a year and he really helped me out. He also helped me find the right sport and the right gym. Now I'm waking up at 6:30 so I can go all the way to across the city and train before going to work, which is something I've never thought I'd do.

MMA is really fun, but the group I train with is the reason I keep going to the gym. It's a small place, owned by one of the teachers. Feels like working out at home.

Almost every gym and martial arts academy offers a free lesson or two, hit a few and you'll eventually find one you like.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 01-01-2010, 05:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta1588 View Post
I've been in and out of gyms and martial arts my whole life (started with tae kwon do, then karate, finally boxing) though if I don't have someone kicking me in the pants to motivate me I'm usually too lazy to get off my butt and work out. I know what to do and how to do it I just need to know how to stay motivated! Does anyone have any suggestions or maybe wanna take up a job as my personal trainer?
If you are not motivated, then you are not motivated. If you can't push yourself to get out and go, then you won't get out and go. If you are not enjoying it, then you will hit a brick wall you can't get through.

No one can tell you how you can get yourself motivated. However something that might work is find a big athletic guy in a half way house and tell him you will give him fifty bucks a week to run behind you screaming "If I catch you Im gonna f%#* you.".

When I turned about 26 I noticed it was getting more and more difficult to stay in shape. This helped me break through that wall. Every day I would go out and run for an hour. Same course every day. I would run out for a half an hour, then back. Every day I would try to get just a little farther on the way out. Even if it was only two feet more it was improvement.

When the white man discovered this country Indians were running it. No taxes, no debt, women did all the work. White man thought he could improve on a system like this.

Last edited by Louisville; 01-01-2010 at 05:35 AM.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:57 PM   #19

How Personality Traits Affect Your Fitness Goals

July 25th, 2008 • Laurie Pawlik-Kienlen

Your personality traits affect your fitness goals, which can lead to increased or decreased weight loss and your own personal goals to achieving a strong, healthy body and future healthy lifestyle. The key to achieving your fitness goals is to find an exercise plan that suits your personality and lifestyle. Here are a few tips on personality traits and fitness goals, plus how to find the exercise plan that works for you.

Why is knowing your personality traits so important when it comes to achieving fitness goals?

Because “the stress of engaging in exercise that is not of our choosing can outweigh its health benefits,” says Dr Pierce Howard in The Owner’s Manual for the Brain.

If you’re forcing yourself to go to the gym because your sister is a personal trainer or your partner works out every day, you could actually be harming your health (and you definitely won’t be achieving your fitness goals). For instance, Norman Cousins was told to walk on a treadmill; he found dramatic health improvements only when he chose to walk on a track instead, which he preferred. The most effective way to achieve your fitness goals is to work with your personality traits.

How Personality Traits Affect Your Fitness Goals
If you choose fitness goals that suit your personality traits, you’ll not only be physically and emotionally healthier – you’ll also be more motivated to achieve your goals. Since 60% of people drop out of exercise programs within six months, finding your exercise personality is key to getting and staying fit.

The connection between personality traits and fitness goals
University of Florida researchers studied how the Big Five Personality Traits affect exercise habits and fitness goals. Here’s what they found:

Extroverts - prefer intense workouts with groups of people, and are prone to exercising fairly often. Scientist Amy Hagan said, “These excitement-craving people love lots of activity, and want to go, go, go.” Extroverts also prefer to listen to music while exercising – it helps them achieve fitness goals.

Introverts - tend to like to run, cycle, or work out alone. They find groups of people draining, so their fitness goals need to involve” me” time.

Neurotic people - are least likely to exercise. Ironically, they’re most in need of exercise because it reduces anxiety and depression. Neurotic people tend to do cardiovascular exercises indoors, but not in a gym. They prefer home treadmills and low-intensity workouts when achieving their fitness goals.

Conscientious people - are motivated enough to schedule their own fitness plan – and stick to it. Hagan said, “These are very self-disciplined people who strive to achieve something. They want to take charge of their own exercise routine to make sure it will get done.”

Agreeable people - like to exercise first thing in the morning, to get it over with. Since they’re compliant and friendly, they have a tendency to help others and acquiesce to requests – which can derail their fitness goals.

Questions That Reveal Your Personality Traits and Fitness Goals
You don’t need a personality test to determine how to get and stay motivated. Simply answering these questions can help you find the exercise plan that works for you.
  1. Do I prefer working out in the morning, at lunch, or after supper?
  2. Do I want to learn something new, or stick with my favorite activities?
  3. Am I motivated by a personal trainer or people working out nearby?
  4. Do I like to work out alone, so I can set my own pace?
  5. Is exercising my way of socializing and meeting new people?
  6. Do I like to schedule my exercise into my day, or spontaneously choose an activity?
Are you an introvert or an extrovert – and do your personality traits affect your fitness goals?

I thought this article might help, I personally think one needs to be self motivated, disciplined, and stay aggressive to achieve self-set personal health goals and constantly strive to improve one's self through various combination's of weight bearing and cardiovascular exercises, whether it be running, organized sports or physical contact sports.

Muscle responds to shock treatments and the incorporation of a change up of different routines, say every two to three months, this will result in a muscle growing bigger and stronger in response. Small improvements gained weekly, will lead to overall greater physical and health results and improvements in self-control of one's blood pressure, cholesterol levels, proper weight, mind and body, and especially, your own personal self-confidence.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Last edited by IGETEVEN; 01-01-2010 at 03:04 PM.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:19 PM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Functional Fitness

Functional fitness is the key to success in practical shooting. This is the entire body, to include strength and stamina. Many people forget that fact and opt to the 3 set of 10 mindset, working the muscles that look good. A good physique is a by product of a functional fitness regiment.

Crossfit has been a growing trend for this style of fitness and I think it's a good start. The mindset is focused on a functional fitness, but the delivery can be improved on. The Olympic lifts will increase both strength and stamina, but must be done with strict form or else you will get hurt. I have learned that the hard way. I don't think there is enough focus on form with most Crossfit affiliates.

I also believe that competition and working against the clock are good for results in a daily workout, but again it can force sloppy lifts that can injure. I like Military Athlete's approach because it takes the functional fitness to the next level. I have a good friend of mind, who is also one of our instructors, who is opening up a gym with this same concept in Birmingham. His is Combat Fitness and he and I have been trading workouts for a little over a year now.

Fitness is a big part of my daily activities and my approach to our training courses. Sgt. Miller is exactly right that to be good involves more than just putting rounds down on the range. The firearm is an extension of the body, which is an extension of the mind. So there is a chain of events working and each link needs to be honed to ensure that everything comes together the way it should. When you condition the body in a functional way, you also condition the mind.

My two cents on that. Check out our blog on the site. We'll be focusing on fitness too, along with shooting stuff.

Jon Weiler
Creator/Coordinator
Survival Trial
www.survivaltrial.com