Fitness and Firearms
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

Fitness and Firearms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2009, 02:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Fitness and Firearms

First thing somebody will sometimes say when you ask them about being "fit to fight" will be the standard "It doesn't take much to pull a trigger".

That statement is correct in a sense, but there is a big problem with it. There has never been a self defense situation where all that happened was the trigger was calmly pulled a few times, and the threat ends. Usually what happens is the person defending their life will experience a HUGE adrenaline dump into their system, which causes tunnel vision and loss of fine motor control. Their heart will race as their fight or flight reflex occurs. Sometimes the person will either void their bladder or in some cases, their colon. The person will be aiming, squeezing the trigger, and moving at the same time. Usually what happens is the person will be moving backwards away from the threat, or moving towards some sort of cover. If the person has any type of warrior training (i.e. Army, Marine Corp, etc....) they will be closing the distance to his/her attacker.

Now imagine that the engagement is extended. Imagine that the fight for some reason has lasted long enough that your first magazine has been expended, and you are now reloading and continuing the fight. The stress level will go even higher because your brain has "caught up" in a sense and you realize more of what is going on, and you have the conscious thoughts of "I may die" or "he may hurt me or my family".

Now step back for second and answer this question to yourself and be honest.

Will my body and mind be able to handle the stress of an engagment?

Will my cardiovascular system (especially the heart) handle a severely stressful event?

Is there a chance that due to my fitness level (or lack of) that I may not be able to perform at the moment of truth?

The reason I bring this up is because this is something that is drilled into any servicemembers brain during training. Forum members like IGETEVEN, Hydrashok, and other vets can vouch for this. The main rule is to be fit to fight in order to win the fight.

You don't have to be a bodybuilder, or as fit as a special operator, but you owe it to yourself to be as fit as you are able.

Most of you have seen my videos on youtube, and you can see that I'm not anything special. I'm not super toned (yet), but I work out 1-3 times a day. I have gotten to the point where I can run 5 miles with a 30 pound ruck (kinda hurts a little), and I usually perform 100-300 pushups and situps a day. I spend more and more time at the gym, and the benefits are getting even better and better for me.

The one thing I have noticed is my shooting skills. Since I have been getting into a better shape than a pear, I've noticed that my reaction times have gotten quicker, the recoil much easier to control, my speed, and accuracy, have improved.

I urge all of you to think about a fitness program. Check with your doc if you haven't done any time of workouts before you start. Being fit will help your skills with your defensive firearm regardless of what the firearm is.

Also, chicks dig fit guys...................

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-25-2009, 02:19 AM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Another great fitness post SGT., I'm going to the garage and........get a beer.

OK, Ill clear the junk off the Bowflex and work out first!! Damned slave driver!

Old 10-25-2009, 02:27 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Believe me I have a hard time keeping up with it. My goal is to be completely ripped out by the time the new year hits. I have extra motivation because I will be going back across the puddle to again deal with Jonny Mohammed and the jihad cronies.

Hopefully I will have achieved my goal. I'll remember to post a pic up here if I do...lol.

You'll be amazed how fitness affects your performance with your gun.

Another note:

A sad reality is that there is a high chance you may take a bullet during a gunfight. It's reality, and it happens. Even the highest trained operators will take a few unintended steel injections sometimes. The fitness level you are at may determine if you survive the gunshot or not.

Stay fit, Stay alive, Stay safe

Old 10-25-2009, 04:03 AM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

OK, 25 minutes on the Bowflex..Biceps, tris, sholders, chest, abs and lower back. Now if I can drag my nearly 60 year old body outa bed tomorrow, lower body.

Thanks for the motivation Miller, and I skipped the beer!

Old 10-25-2009, 04:14 AM   #5

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

SPOT ON Sarge.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:36 PM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

"bump"...............

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 10-26-2009, 03:05 PM   #7

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

man I came back and reread this boy you know how to make a guy look at himself in the mirror and start crying like a dam panty wearing girl.

Not that I cried at all I am like Klingons I have no tear ducts.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:16 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Great post, Sarge. I'm a fat lazy f+*k, and I was overweight for a good portion of my short life. It was very hard for me to keep up with any sort of fitness regime, I just lost interest very quickly. At the peak of my obesity I was over 140kg (around 309 pounds), and I felt like crap.

Luckily, a little over a year ago I met an MMA coach at a knife collector's event. He started working with me and now I'm 105kg (227lb) which is OK for my height and build (I'm around 6 feet 2"), and some of it is actually muscle now. I turned one of the rooms at home into a gym and I started joining the classes my instructor takes as well as doing our one on one sessions. It's just about finding what you like, fighting seems to be my thing.

My shooting has improved A LOT. Especially when taking part in IPSC or IDPA type competitions where you need to run around a bit.
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 10-26-2009, 03:24 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Fitness is holistic. It improves every aspect of your life. When you're fit and you know it, you just feel better and life comes easier.

Personally, I take pride in being able to chase down and catch Nike-wearing punk kids who sprint off like rabbits the moment my car door opens, and I'm twice their age, wearing boots and carrying a lot of gear.

And catching them doesn't end it. You need to arrive at the scene of the fight with enough energy to win it.

I'm slowing down a bit--can't help it--but I still have the endurance to keep going, and as long as I can keep them in sight, I can close the distance when they tire from their sprinting. I run daily and most of the criminal class doesn't and it makes a difference.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:00 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Just working on soft skills (counter-surveillance, survival, awareness, etc.) is not all that you need. You should keep yourself in shape, be able to go walk/run for long distances, fight with knives, sticks and open hands.

If your belly gets in the way of you performing everyday activities, you will be more of a liability in a fight than a force-multiplier.

If your only tool to deal with problems is your gun, you will be **** out of luck when you can't deploy it anymore.

If your "practice" session involves dumping your magazine/cylinder at one target without moving, you will wind up lying on the ground, bleeding and watching your adversary rifle through your pockets.

If you cannot engage targets closer than 7 yards with your pistol, or 25 yards with your rifle, you will either watch an attacker kill your loved ones, or kill people who don't need killing.

There is an overwhelming concept in the firearms community that all you need to do is carry your pistol and suddenly you will be superman, capable of taking on whole slews of badguys. It is continually shown, over and over, through force-on-force work and dashcam videos, that the badguys, be they jihadists, cartel soldiers, or just regular criminals, have a whole-force concept. They have several tools in their arsenal with which to intimidate, coerce, or just plain kill. The gun community continually ignores this reality.

Specialization is for insects.