First time pistol owner. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

First time pistol owner.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2009, 01:41 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default none in the chamber....

Without one in the chamber is regularly called "Israeli carry" due to the Israeli Army using this procedure. Upon drawing their weapon, then are taught to grasp the slide in one motion as they present the pistol to the target. I have seen this in action and quite honestly, I am amazed they can do it with the speed and precision as fast as they do. I have had a few exhibitions with them and am ashamed to say although I was never beaten to the presentation, I rarely won. (for those of you that don't know me, this was done safely, side by side, without magazines and presenting downrange at a military base).
I personally carry a round in the chamber. You never know when your other hand may be unable to be used to rack. It may be tied up keeping an aggressor away from your gun. Just remember, if the finger is off the trigger, it doesn't go bang!!
Defensive Line CCW
Certified NRA Instructor
Old 08-26-2009, 11:16 PM   #12

I'm a newbie here, but wanted to add my .02 cents. Either way you want to carry is fine if you have have proper training and continue to train. My thoughts on this are: which has a greater chance of happening?...A gunfight, or a momentary lapse in judgment resulting in an negligent discharge? Cocked and Locked is fine, but some increased risk is present.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:45 AM   #13
Liked 271 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I've said this before but it bears repeating :
If you carry in condition one, you can use a good snug holster that covers the trigger area. You can leave the gun in the holster even when you are not carrying it. The holster constitutes a sort of "safety ".

The above is not a substitute for Rule #3 or for formal firearms training.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:57 AM   #14
Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Welcome to the FTF community Doyle.

Number one is safety. Learn safety and then carry in the safest manner of which you're capable. You'll be more comfortable and more confident.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams
Old 09-14-2009, 04:11 AM   #15
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Like all the posts are telling you, safety is the number one concern.
I carry a compact 1911 .45ACP and it is always closed on an empty chamber with the hammer down. I have carried cocked and locked a few times, but generally only when I am alone in a remote area and just want the added comfort of being ready.
I live alone and have made a habit of always carrying my pistol. I don't let it out of my close reach and do carry it concealed when i leave home. When driving late at night which is seldom, it is cocked and locked.
Just be completely safe whatever you decide to do. If you do not feel safe carrying a pistol in condition one, then don't carry it that way.
You could always opt for a double action revolver. I feel totally armed with my 3" .44 magnum.