First time pistol owner.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > First time pistol owner.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 01:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default First time pistol owner.

So I just got an M&P .40 after going out to the range with my coworkers and shooting many different pistols. I plan on taking a gun safety course pretty soon, but I did have one question about safety. If I insert a fully loaded mag into the gun but do not pull the slide back yet, is the gun safe to carry? Pretty sure the answer is yes, but I'd hate to find out the hard way....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-18-2009, 01:58 AM   #2

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

sure its safe...im guilty of the same action when carrying my glock22 with me...of course this want be so much of a safety concern if something happens & we need to draw our firearm quick to eliminate a threat....of course i dont worry about a round being chambered when i carry my 1911 s.a. it stays cocked and locked...does the m&p have a decocker or half cock safety?hamerless?hammer?...im not familiar with the m&p...thats why i ask...i've heard good things about them...smith and wesson makes them right?

Old 08-18-2009, 02:19 AM   #3

No it doesn't have a decocker or a visible hammer. It also does not have a thumb safety, which is why i was asking. Yeah, Smith & Wesson makes them and I'm really happy with my purchase!!

Old 08-18-2009, 02:20 AM   #4

There are plenty of different carry methods. From safety off, round chambered to safety on no round chambered. So yes, its safe. If you feel comfortable and train like that, then keep working on it.

S.S.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:35 AM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleTheDog View Post
So I just got an M&P .40 after going out to the range with my coworkers and shooting many different pistols. I plan on taking a gun safety course pretty soon, but I did have one question about safety. If I insert a fully loaded mag into the gun but do not pull the slide back yet, is the gun safe to carry? Pretty sure the answer is yes, but I'd hate to find out the hard way....
Firearm safety is the number one thing to consider when purchasing a personal firearm. A complete understanding of the four basic Conditions of Carry will help compliment common sense and attention to detail. These conditions can be applied to all firearms and vary based on the type of firearm you are dealing with. I will stay on the topic of handguns.

Condition One: Ready for Action

In this condition, the handgun has a round in the chamber and a loaded magazine in the magazine well. This condition is the condition just prior to firing. The thumb safety (if applicable) is engaged. In order to bring the pistol into action, the operator only needs to put it on target, and complete whatever steps are necessary to fire.

Condition Two: Ready for Danger

In this condition, there is a round in the chamber and a full magazine in the magazine well, like condition one, but the safety is off and the hammer is down. Handguns without external hammers, such as the XD and Glock, cannot be carried in condition two.

This condition is not recommended because the gun must be cocked before it is ready to fire, making it slower than condition one. In addition, if the gun is dropped on the hammer, or the hammer slips, there is a possibility of the gun discharging.

Condition Three: Somewhat Safe?

In condition three, the chamber is empty and a fully loaded magazine is in the magazine well. This is the carry method for many military organizations in the world. In order to fire, the slide needs to be reciprocated to chamber a round.

Many people feel that this method of storage is safe for children, but I do not recommend it as the only safety measure. This is an excellent condition for a backup weapon in a locked safe.

Condition Four: Safety First

In condition four, the handgun is completely unloaded. The magazine is removed from the gun. The slide can be locked back for completeness, but I recommend letting the slide forward and the hammer down for long term storage.

No matter what condition you prefer, a gun safe is essential to firearm safety, especially if there are children around. I personally carry in condition one and think it is foolish to carry in any other condition. When I am not carrying, I leave my guns in condition one, but they are locked in a safe and inaccessible to others. In the end, it is your responsibility to determine the safest manner to handle and store your firearms.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:43 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Hey Dog
First off, welcome to the forum, and congratulations on the MP purchase. I just got the MP in 45, great gun.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/range-report-smith-wesson-mp-45-a-16792/

Mark posted great info for you, and if you take a safety course you will also get great info on how to store and carry your new MP.
I got the MP with a thumb safety so I feel comfortable keeping the MP with a full mag and one in the chamber. (Condition one) My MP is for home defense so I keep it close and ready. I have no kids and the SO is weapons trained.
If I had the MP without the external safety (like yours) I would keep the pistol with a full mag and the chamber empty. (Condition three)
My other guns are in the safe and are kept empty with full mags next to them.
Jo

Old 08-18-2009, 04:29 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I guess I'm going to be different and recommend you carry it with 1 in the chamber, but ONLY after you are taught in a good shooting instructional course. The M&P has internal safetys & you'll be trained to keep the booger hook off the trigger until you're ready to fire the weapon. The important thing is the gun intended for home defense or concealed carry? If intended for home defense only, either fully loaded or magazine loaded with chamber empty will suffice-depending on the training you recieve.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 08-18-2009, 05:38 PM   #8

WOW!!! Thank you all for the helpful responses!! I think I'll be more comfortable carrying it in condition three for now, then after a safety course I'll see what I like best.
I don't plan on walking around with it yet since I don't have a CC license at the moment, but I go out to my buddy's ranch alot and I can carry it on me out there. Plus I'm thinking about the S&W 637 Revolver for a conceal and carry... I know they have alot of recoil, but with practice you can get good with any weapon I think. Do any of you have much experience with the 637? I'm always open to advice....

EDIT: To answer your question Bear, the gun is mostly for home defense.

Last edited by DoyleTheDog; 08-18-2009 at 05:40 PM.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:54 PM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Actually S&W model 637s don't have that much recoil. Recoil is subjective but the 637 is .38 special only and of all stainless construction. Just be sure to either order it with rubber grips, or replace the grips with rubber grips after purchase. My wife packs a S&W model 442 airweight which is lighter than the 637, and she shoots it just fine.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 08-19-2009, 01:28 AM   #10

I'm no expert but I have a Springfield XDM with similar safety mechanism. Personally I think these type of guns don't require an external safety for carry purposes. It will not fire unless you pull the trigger. If you're doing that you should be on target to the BG. If the BG is close (within 7 meters or so), you will not have time to draw and rack the slide, unless you are a Todd Jarrett caliber speed shooter. This is not just my opinion. I got this from both of the CC instructors in my recent class.