Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > First official training

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011, 01:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First official training

Hello all,

I wanted to share with you that I completed my first official firearms training this past Saturday with Valley Defense Consulting out of Oakdale, CA. It was a CCW class, 7 hours long, with the first 3 in the classroom and the whole afternoon I'm the range. Vince and Christie were great instructors with real life experience in LE as well as thought provoking stories and dialogue. I learned quite a bit such as drawing from a holster, firefighter reloading, clearing jams/failures, among other things.

The picture is the below is of my 2 targets for the day. The white one is from the first part of the range time which was instructional drills portion with students primarily shooting at their target but also doing multiple target drills so some of those holes aren't mine. The brown one was the final test drill of 24 rounds shot from 3ft-30ft using the number 2 position up close to a normal non-Weaver stance the rest of the time. I feel pretty good with my performance on the brown target. We had a bonus competition with pitting 2 students against each other with 3 steel targets each (2 big, 1 small) at 45 ft away and a mandatory reload after the 2 big targets before engaging the little one. I was in the first pairing against a cocky student who had voiced several times during the day the Magpul and various other courses he had completed. It was very satisfying to beat him even with leaving the 1911's safety on after the reload by a 1.5 targets (his 2nd was falling when I put down my little guy).

I rented a Citadel 1911.

I look forward to more courses next year.

Thanks for reading.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-22-2011, 01:44 AM   #2

Here is the picture.

forumrunner_20111121_194402.jpg

Old 11-22-2011, 02:17 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2614 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Congratulations. Take a look at some of the competitions in your area to see if any are to your liking.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT