First aid kit in a corn field
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > First aid kit in a corn field

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2010, 05:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default First aid kit in a corn field

Most of the members of this club have read Sarge's stories and found that they are not only real but they frquently have a moral or teach a lesson. Often these stories are about some mistake Sarge has made and he wishes for his friends and fellow members to not make the same mistake. As is this story.

Many times I have taught my Hunter Safety students to have a survival pack and carry it with them everytime they are in the woods or field. Most do but then as they find the pack gets heavy, after carrying it for many miles, they often leave it in the truck or camp.
Here is an incident that should teach everyone that the survival pack can be needed anytime."

That day Sarge and his son, Private Trent were hunting in eastern Colorado. Pheasant and rabbits and quail were on the menu. The fields that we would be walking were all farm fields and part of the Colorado Walk-in Access program. In most of them you could see your truck across the field sitting at the gate. The possiblity of getting careless and letting your survival pack stay in the truck was very high in a situation like this.

Then Sarge tripped.
A hard unyielding corn stalk that was jammed across the rows caught his foot and down he went. No warning, no chance to catch himself or even roll with the fall. And landed on a row of sharp, dry, stiff, hard, cut off corn stalks. The first one hit Sarge in the face and broke off the sharp point which stuck in his chin. That one continued on to hit Sarge in 4 places in the neck as he fell forward on it. It finally broke off when it hit his collar bone. Lower stalks penetrated his jeans and he had 6 holes in his left leg from the knee to mid thigh. Private Trent saw him go down and not get up and rushed over to help. Sarge was gagging from the blows to his neck and was rubbing his throat in an attempt to force some air into his lungs. By the time Trent made it to Sarge he was breathing again and rolling over trying to get to his feet. The corn stalk did not penetrate the neck after being broken off on Sarge's chin. Luckily for Sarge as the area that the hard stalk hit was right over the jugular vein. The blow was so hard that it temporarily paralized the trachia.
Private Trent was well versed in First Aid from both the Boy Scouts and from the Hunter Safety and Survival classes he helps his Dad teach. He took over and opened both his and Sarge's first aid kit. First he cleaned the cuts, then with tweezers he removed the pieces of sharp corn stalk and taped the cuts with butterfly tape. Then bandages on all wounds to keep dirt out and the shirt collar from rubbing on them. After Sarge was patched up from the first aid kits, father and son continued to hunt. That was a close one. Just a few more inches and an eye could have been punctured or a artery.
So you don't think you need a survival kit in a corn field? Better guess again.
Sarge

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-16-2010, 11:40 AM   #2

Default Safety

Sir; another reason for my carrying a first aide kit wow

Craig

♥ Exercise daily - walk with the Lord!

Old 11-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Great kid you got there! I keep telling the wife we need to get the daughter some first aid training. Will probably happen this summer, no time now with school and Tae Kwon Do.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
Great kid you got there! I keep telling the wife we need to get the daughter some first aid training. Will probably happen this summer, no time now with school and Tae Kwon Do.
As Neophyte said, "Another good reason to always having a first aid kit.
My advice: Get her a small first aid kit. One that will fit in her purse. They have them about the size of a band aid box. Then sit down with her or have her mother talk with her about the contents and how to use them. Yes next summer enroll her in a first aid class. (Red Cross has them) But just some rudementary knowledge and an available first aid kit will be a life saver. And don't forget the Heimliche manuver and the CPR rescue breathing. Those two are very important. You can pull them up on your PC and copy them off. Put that in her purse after you both read them.
Enjoy your children and protect them even if they think it is dumb.
Sarge

Old 11-17-2010, 09:12 PM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Wow, quite a story. I always carry a compass and an army bandage kit in my backpack when hunting, but this really got me thinking of upgrading my kit with more supplies.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:32 PM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2400 Times on 1297 Posts
Likes Given: 690

Out on the desert we carry a multi tool, comb and tweezers. The comb and tweezers are for the small cactus some call jumping cactus. A clump will break off if you barely brush it. The Comb will take off the clump and finish up with the tweezers. A heavy cactus spine can penetrate a boot and you need the multi tool to get it out.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:27 PM   #7

Default Desert

JTJ Here in colorado we have what is called High desert. which has all the cacti you could want. I spent two 15 day increments in the Mohave Desert in the Army, learning Desert Survival. The thing that they did not tell us was that the heat can kill you and the cold can kill you too. There were about a half a dozen of us old farm boys with Boy Scout training and we brought with us our Field jackets. Come the first nightfall, we could have sold those jackets for $100 each. The CO finally sent the supply Sgt over to an air force base and borrowed a couple hundred blankets. It sure looked funny for a bunch of camo clad soldiers walking around with an Air Force blue blanket wrapped around us. We got a lot of kidding but at least they were warm.
Sarge

Old 11-18-2010, 01:41 AM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2400 Times on 1297 Posts
Likes Given: 690

The high desert can see huge temperature shifts. It can easily be freezing at night and in the 90's during the afternoon. Once the sun sets the temps go into freefall. A lot of people get in trouble by not being properly prepared.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.