First Aid for Down Attacker? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

First Aid for Down Attacker?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 10:34 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Only if you are absolutely sure it will be safe for you to do so. If you are convinced you will be safe, I strongly suggest you render aid to the best of your ability, even if you are untrained. Now would be a good time to check the Good Samaritan Law in effect for your area to see if there are any limitations.

There are both legal and psychological reasons behind my suggestion. If you render aid you are one step closer to having the jury like you. If the jury likes you they are more apt to believe you when you say you had no choice in the shooting.

Psychologically you will have an easier time coping with the aftereffects of the shooting if you did something to try to keep the guy from dying. It also makes an impression on the first officer if he initially sees you as a caregiver, and not a shooter. That might make things a lot easier for you.

If your attacker is down and unconscious there is next to no chance that what you do will bring him back to fighting trim. Without fluid replacement therapy that shouldn't be a concern. Getting the attackers blood on you is not really a concern unless your skin barrier is compromised. If you routinely have open cuts on your hands you should never play in other people's body fluids without barrier protection.

Remember, do not attempt any aid unless you are convinced it will be safe for you to do so. Don't focus on helping to the point that you lose track of your surroundings. Protect yourself first.

I doubt I could give aid to a person threatening me or my Family.
I do not believe I have an obligation to do so, either morally or legally.
I will be in another room comforting my Family until the Police or Ambulance arrive to try and save the intruder from bleeding out.
I don't want to save a guy that may come back to visit me and square up with me.
The more Home Invasion types that get theirs the better for a decent society for the majority of us.

Last edited by morgoth; 04-02-2014 at 10:44 AM.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgoth View Post
I doubt I could give aid to a person threatening me or my Family.
I have no obligation to do so, either morally or legally.
I will be in another room comforting my Family until the Police or Ambulance arrive to try and save the intruder.
I can totally understand that, but I do suggest you don't leave the attacker alone. At a bare minimum keep an eye on him to make sure the situation doesn't change.

My suggestion is just that, a suggestion. I can certainly understand your thoughts and the thoughts of so many others in this thread. None of you will get an argument from me. Let's all hope that it's a decision none of us will ever have to make.
People Like This 
Old 04-02-2014, 10:48 AM   #13

Liked 27 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
I can totally understand that, but I do suggest you don't leave the attacker alone. At a bare minimum keep an eye on him to make sure the situation doesn't change.

My suggestion is just that, a suggestion. I can certainly understand your thoughts and the thoughts of so many others in this thread. None of you will get an argument from me. Let's all hope that it's a decision none of us will ever have to make.
I know where you are coming from Doc.
I would not leave a situation where there are any doubts.
Its all good.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #14

Liked 52 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

My first thought was, you should have been a better shot. My simple rules for having a firearm for self defense is, don't have it unless your fully prepared to use it, if I feel threatened enough to pull it, then don't hesitate, shoot to kill. So no mercy at this point.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:22 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4360 Times on 2948 Posts
Likes Given: 2174

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I see it differently. And I learned from one of the best!!

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/read-before-you-decide-carry-67036/
I looked up the link. The poster did not suggest giving first aid. Only rushing the paramedics when they arrive.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:50 AM   #16
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennTrucker View Post
My first thought was, you should have been a better shot. My simple rules for having a firearm for self defense is, don't have it unless your fully prepared to use it, if I feel threatened enough to pull it, then don't hesitate, shoot to kill. So no mercy at this point.
say something along those lines, you might need the services of a good attorney.

you never shoot to wound, you never shoot to kill. you are shooting to stop a threat. nothing more, nothing less.
People Like This 
Old 04-02-2014, 11:55 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3864 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Here is the thing. Some bad guy comes to your house to do evil things. You shoot him.... But show mercy by saving his life. Now, the evil doer will sue your ass for rendering first aid without proper medical credentials. Bad guy wins....you feel like a chump.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:18 PM   #18

Liked 52 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
say something along those lines, you might need the services of a good attorney.

you never shoot to wound, you never shoot to kill. you are shooting to stop a threat. nothing more, nothing less.
The old saying stands, better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:28 PM   #19
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennTrucker View Post
The old saying stands, better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
many times the less said the better, unless you have an attorney present. and if not, most attorneys will tell you not say anything at all.

IMO, i would never compromise my safety or my families safety to render aid to someone i just shot in self defence. if they are not dead, they can still pose a threat to some degree. as a human being, i do still feel obligated to help even some scumbag who tried to do harm to myself or others, as long as it didn't compromise my safety others.
AIKIJUTSU Likes This 
Old 04-02-2014, 02:51 PM   #20

Liked 1151 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 2042

The law here states even if you know how and are certified to do so you do not have to provide anyone with first aid or resuscitation. In this instance he is going to bleed out long before they get my help

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
towboater Likes This