First Aid for Down Attacker? - Page 11
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > First Aid for Down Attacker?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 02:51 AM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 99 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Not a chance

Old 04-07-2014, 03:16 AM   #102
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1306 Times on 890 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

Quote:
Originally Posted by czfreak View Post
do you believe you should administer first aid to a downed attacker? Say an intruder is in my home, i end up having to shoot him and have stripped him of his weapon. At this point should i begin any life sustaining treatment i am able to? Or would you let the man, that could potentially be saved from death, die in the time it takes paramedics to arrive?
nope !...............

When all else fails.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:30 AM   #103
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1794 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 1349

If I do my part first aid won't do him any good but in the case that I haven't "it ain't happening"!!!!

People Like This 
Old 04-07-2014, 03:43 AM   #104

Liked 434 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 1281

I have some minor medical training from being on a volunteer fire dept for a couple years, i have seen every call from the old lady who can't breath to multiple fatality car accidents.
There is a lot of emotions running though the victims and people involved ,a shooting will be a very traumatic event In a persons life and a lot of people even if they have some training may not be in the mindset to administer first aid.
My thinking is a prosecuter or police officer could also look at a person administering first aid and ask you were in such fear that you could kill this person but you were able to perform some kind if medical treatment.
I'm thinking it could be a double edged sword for your defense,not saying it would be a bad thing but maybe could be.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-07-2014, 04:03 AM   #105

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
Just found these only 30% of all gunshot wounds (GSW) are fatal.
Yes..of ALL gunshot wounds. That is a statistic that counts all accidents, accidental discharges and range mishaps. The only "statistic" that counts is what the percentate of gunshot wounds which are fatal when fired directely at someone.

Never waste time deciding between two guns....buy both of them.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:27 AM   #106
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 144 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I was in that situation my solution, call an ambulance & the police.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.
People Like This 
Old 04-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #107
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1190 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 508

I would render first aid, but that's just me. If it's safe to do so, that's the humane and civil thing to do. As another poster pointed out, even in combat after an enemy attempted to kill him a soldier rendered first aid to his downed assailant.

I shoot only to counter a direct threat to my family, not because I'm a bloodthirsty savage who wants to murder anyone who comes onto my property uninvited.

And yes, like armsmaster270 said, call the police and call an ambulance. If you don't know what you're doing, then don't provide first aid because you may injure the individual further. If you have a firearm for self defense you should also have basic first aid training (if for no other reason than to save yourself if you've been shot) and medical supplies for stopping blood loss.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:39 AM   #108
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman1 View Post
I have some minor medical training from being on a volunteer fire dept for a couple years, i have seen every call from the old lady who can't breath to multiple fatality car accidents.
There is a lot of emotions running though the victims and people involved ,a shooting will be a very traumatic event In a persons life and a lot of people even if they have some training may not be in the mindset to administer first aid.
My thinking is a prosecuter or police officer could also look at a person administering first aid and ask you were in such fear that you could kill this person but you were able to perform some kind if medical treatment.
I'm thinking it could be a double edged sword for your defense,not saying it would be a bad thing but maybe could be.
That's an easy one. He forced you to shoot him even though the last thing you ever wanted to do was hurt someone else. He forced you to shoot him in order to protect your loved ones, but you certainly don't want him to die.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #109
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
I would render first aid, but that's just me. If it's safe to do so, that's the humane and civil thing to do. As another poster pointed out, even in combat after an enemy attempted to kill him a soldier rendered first aid to his downed assailant.

I shoot only to counter a direct threat to my family, not because I'm a bloodthirsty savage who wants to murder anyone who comes onto my property uninvited.

And yes, like armsmaster270 said, call the police and call an ambulance. If you don't know what you're doing, then don't provide first aid because you may injure the individual further. If you have a firearm for self defense you should also have basic first aid training (if for no other reason than to save yourself if you've been shot) and medical supplies for stopping blood loss.
Regarding the part in bold, be very careful with that one. Do not use QuikClot or anything like it. Limit your aid to bandages, dressings, direct pressure, and positioning. If there is an adverse reaction to something that is not a mainstream first aid procedure you could be seen as acting beyond what a reasonable person would do. That could put you outside the coverage of the Good Samaritan law.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:19 AM   #110
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6628 Times on 3322 Posts
Likes Given: 7142

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post

Shooting the enemy then trying to save them after is a horse of a diff color than a criminal in the same situation. I could and would give aid to save an NME Combatant for a couple reasons. They are the NME because they are at war with us not because they seek to perform a criminal act against me or my family personally and they might have intel that could prevent others in my unit from getting injured or killed. Besides, saving them from reaching Alla the way they choose might actually be more devastating to their cohorts than being remembered as a martyr.

Criminals dont have any of that going on and a merciful death is probably the best they can hope for from me. Im not pouring salt on their wounds but not gonna save them either. I wont do anything that my god would smite me for but letting them die due to their own criminal acts isnt so impeachable I couldnt live with it.