Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   First Aid for Down Attacker? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/first-aid-down-attacker-105735/)

czfreak 04-02-2014 07:58 AM

First Aid for Down Attacker?

Do you believe you should administer first aid to a downed attacker? Say an intruder is in my home, i end up having to shoot him and have stripped him of his weapon. At this point should i begin any life sustaining treatment i am able to? Or would you let the man, that could potentially be saved from death, die in the time it takes paramedics to arrive?

Mercator 04-02-2014 08:10 AM

Only as an academic question. You have no duty to resuscitate a person who seconds ago was about to kill you, regardless of what you do for a living.

winds-of-change 04-02-2014 08:28 AM

I see it differently. And I learned from one of the best!!

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/read-before-you-decide-carry-67036/

rjd3282 04-02-2014 08:50 AM

I'm not touching anybody that's bleeding. I don't carry latex gloves.

morgoth 04-02-2014 09:43 AM

I am not trained or qualified to give first aid help.
I could throw a rag to him I guess. :)

DrFootball 04-02-2014 09:46 AM

Yup, MzGrn and I both read that Thread as well. But I Agree with others here. He was trying to kill me a minute ago. Regardless of the $300+ in EMT supplies and gear I have, it's not getting used on someone trying to take my valuables, Period. At that point I'm having a Stroke or a Bells Palsy attack by then anyway and need to be taken to the hospital.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

eatmydust 04-02-2014 09:49 AM

The likelihood that whomever you may be forced to shoot in self defense is also armed with atleast one or two knives is very high. I would not get within arms reach of a downed attacker.

The Golden Rule does not apply here, self preservation and your right to protect yourself and family trumps being a good Samaritan. IMO

WebleyFosbery38 04-02-2014 10:18 AM

OK, a prison guard buddy of mine taught me the perfect safe resuscitation method in this case. Grab a paper cup, cut the bottom out, stomp on his chest 3 times with your dominant foot to clear the air passage, kneel beside the injured perpetrator, put the paper cup up to your lips like a little megaphone, take a breath then state loudly through the little paper Megaphone,"You Gonna Die Sucker". Then calmly call 911 and tell them to send someone to sweep up the garbage!

Doc3402 04-02-2014 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by czfreak (Post 1546856)
Do you believe you should administer first aid to a downed attacker? Say an intruder is in my home, i end up having to shoot him and have stripped him of his weapon. At this point should i begin any life sustaining treatment i am able to? Or would you let the man, that could potentially be saved from death, die in the time it takes paramedics to arrive?

Only if you are absolutely sure it will be safe for you to do so. If you are convinced you will be safe, I strongly suggest you render aid to the best of your ability, even if you are untrained. Now would be a good time to check the Good Samaritan Law in effect for your area to see if there are any limitations.

There are both legal and psychological reasons behind my suggestion. If you render aid you are one step closer to having the jury like you. If the jury likes you they are more apt to believe you when you say you had no choice in the shooting.

Psychologically you will have an easier time coping with the aftereffects of the shooting if you did something to try to keep the guy from dying. It also makes an impression on the first officer if he initially sees you as a caregiver, and not a shooter. That might make things a lot easier for you.

If your attacker is down and unconscious there is next to no chance that what you do will bring him back to fighting trim. Without fluid replacement therapy that shouldn't be a concern. Getting the attackers blood on you is not really a concern unless your skin barrier is compromised. If you routinely have open cuts on your hands you should never play in other people's body fluids without barrier protection.

Remember, do not attempt any aid unless you are convinced it will be safe for you to do so. Don't focus on helping to the point that you lose track of your surroundings. Protect yourself first.

Jagermeister 04-02-2014 11:07 AM

Nope.......