Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Firepower, Firemen & the Power of Fire.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #1
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1679 Times on 871 Posts
Likes Given: 1322

Default Firepower, Firemen & the Power of Fire.

I just went through the ‘How much ammo do you keep at home’ thread and I don’t want to hijack the thread.

When I took over ‘Safety & Security’ for a large sawmill/lumber store, I made a couple of binders with maps and information on where all the inflammable & explosive materials were kept at the various facilities, including were the loads for the nail guns were stocked.

One was kept in my office and the other was given to the local VFD. Hazard maps were also laminated and posted at each facility.

Considering the large amounts of rounds and reloading supplies many of you have, have any of you done anything similar? Do any of you store your rounds in a fire resistant safe?

???

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I keep mine hidden behind the wood stove.

Actually, I keep all ammunition in a cool dark place separate from any firearms. All gas cans, kerosene, propane and such are stored in a separate building.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 09-11-2011 at 12:53 AM.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:39 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I keep my ammo safely with my oxy-atcetelene tanks under my bed.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:45 PM   #4

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I went buy the fire department last week to see if I could get some of those hazardous decals for the garage door so the firemen would know there was hazardous material there. The Lt. I talked to said that they don’t even look at things like that because there are a lot of other hazardous things to worry about. He said ammunition and reloading powder were not much of a danger to them so don’t worry about it. Then he went on to ask me if I really wanted to advertise to people that I had hazardous stuff in my garage as they may want to break in and set my house of fire or do me harm. I smiled said ok that I was just worried about the fireman but if they were not concerned I would not be ether. I think that guy is a accident waiting to happen myself.

Scubie

Old 09-11-2011, 02:10 AM   #5

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I'm an Asst. Chief for a fire dept. When I was a firefighter we went out on a call for a truck on fire. When we got there we pulled hose, donned SCBA, and hit the red stuff with the red stuff. Then the rounds started popping off in the cab of the pickup. Turned out the owner, who I knew, had at least a brick of .22 shells along with some shotgun shells in the cab. As far as I know no bullets left the cab. If an unsupported round goes off, physics says the part with the most mass (bullet, shot charge) will resist movement more than the part with the least mass (cartridge case). Mostly it will be cartridge cases flying around if they move at all.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 09-11-2011, 02:23 AM   #6
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1679 Times on 871 Posts
Likes Given: 1322

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
If an unsupported round goes off, physics says the part with the most mass (bullet, shot charge) will resist movement more than the part with the least mass (cartridge case).
Oh yeah, that's right.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:35 AM   #7

Liked 685 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I had a house fire about 12 years ago when I lived in Indiana. I only had a few rifles and shot guns at the time though but the area that held them got hot enough that the shotgun shells on the top shelf melted a little bit but nothing went off. I was there when the fire inspector for the insurance company stopped to check it out. I showed them to him and asked how hot they can get. He wasn't sure of the exact temp for them to pop but he had seen them completely melted down without the powder being ignited.

I got a lot more guns and ammo now. The guns stay in a real thick safe and the several thousand rounds of ammo is in a cabinet built into the wall about 8 feet high and I don't worry about it.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington