Firearms Safety Procedures - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Firearms Safety Procedures

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1743 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 1342

Default Sticky?

Wouldn't this be handy as a sticky say in, oh, I don't know, maybe 'Training & Safety'?
Having it upfront and readily accessible might suggest to Noobs that maybe they should look into it.

Last edited by Vincine; 07-01-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 06-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I forgot to give the DL link Firearms Safety Procedures

"REMEMBER – What works for you may not, necessarily, work for me. Keep an open mind!"

Old 07-02-2012, 04:34 AM   #13
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8311 Times on 4803 Posts
Likes Given: 10772

Thanks for posting this. I am having a friend over on the 4th for her first time shooting and was going to have her go over these rules beforehand. You made my job easier. I agree that the rules should be a permanent sticky. Safety can never be overemphasized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
NRA Rule #3 seems to conflict with Cooper's Rule #1 - LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
Yeah I'm with Rentacop on that one! Rule #1 An unloaded gun is a paperweight, if you're gonna carry, carry in condition 1.
Well now, I disagree. I keep all of my guns in the safe for storage unloaded, but the ones I have out of the safe for protection I keep loaded. The rule reads "ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.", if the gun is on your nightstand then it needs to be loaded because you are by definition using it to protect your home.

That clear it up for y'all?

Old 07-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #14

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Thanks for posting this. I am having a friend over on the 4th for her first time shooting and was going to have her go over these rules beforehand. You made my job easier. I agree that the rules should be a permanent sticky. Safety can never be overemphasized.

Well now, I disagree. I keep all of my guns in the safe for storage unloaded, but the ones I have out of the safe for protection I keep loaded. The rule reads "ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.", if the gun is on your nightstand then it needs to be loaded because you are by definition using it to protect your home.

That clear it up for y'all?
Agreed........

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:41 AM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I also agree

Old 02-01-2013, 06:38 AM   #16

Liked 246 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Now even I agree . Cooper's Rule #1 is still golden : There is no inherent danger in storing a gun loaded but there is inherent danger in making a distinction between loaded and unloaded guns . All guns must be considered loaded until they've been checked and have not left your hands . Dry fire at a sand bucket or barrel -not just in a " safe direction " .
Never hand a loaded gun to anyone and never let anyone hand you a loaded gun . Hand it over open and empty .
Be cautious with unholstered loaded guns :
I heard about a sportsman who accidentally shot himself to death when he slipped on ice while carrying a loaded rifle to his truck from a firing range .

Old 02-15-2013, 02:04 AM   #17

The following story illustrates why you don't get an exception to the rules just because you are a cop or a SWAT team member :

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/14/us/maryland-police-trainee-is-shot-by-instructor.html?src=recg

"Mr. Guglielmi said the investigation was focusing on how the instructor came to discharge live ammunition, though one theory is that he picked up the wrong gun. "

And here's more :
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/blog/bs-md-ci-instructor-identified-baltimore-officer-s-20130214,0,6928580.story

"According to sources familiar with the investigation, Kern was at the Rosewood Center for a training exercise when recruits peered through a window from another room. He playfully pointed a weapon in their direction, the sources said, and did not intend to harm anybody."

" Officers' service weapons and live ammunition are prohibited in a training environment, and it remains unclear how and why the officer had the real gun. Police use "simunition" weapons in training exercises, which have a similar feel to a service weapon but fire ammunition that is similar to a paintball."

Last edited by Rentacop; 02-15-2013 at 02:43 AM. Reason: New Info

Old 02-15-2013, 03:26 AM   #18
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8311 Times on 4803 Posts
Likes Given: 10772

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
The following story illustrates why you don't get an exception to the rules just because you are a cop or a SWAT team member :

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/14/us/maryland-police-trainee-is-shot-by-instructor.html?src=recg

"Mr. Guglielmi said the investigation was focusing on how the instructor came to discharge live ammunition, though one theory is that he picked up the wrong gun. "

And here's more :
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/blog/bs-md-ci-instructor-identified-baltimore-officer-s-20130214,0,6928580.story

"According to sources familiar with the investigation, Kern was at the Rosewood Center for a training exercise when recruits peered through a window from another room. He playfully pointed a weapon in their direction, the sources said, and did not intend to harm anybody."

" Officers' service weapons and live ammunition are prohibited in a training environment, and it remains unclear how and why the officer had the real gun. Police use "simunition" weapons in training exercises, which have a similar feel to a service weapon but fire ammunition that is similar to a paintball."
Never, ever play games with guns. Ever.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:08 AM   #19

Updated news on that story :

" Kern was reportedly attempting to keep trainees from peeking through a window at the Rosewood facility when he accidentally grabbed his service weapon instead of his training weapon. He fired a live round through the window, striking Gray in the head. "

"According to sources, Kern was trying to scare off trainees from peeking through a window at the facility when he mistakenly used his service weapon instead of his training weapon to make his point. He fired a live round through the window, 11 News sources said, hitting the trainee in the forehead. "

"A WJZ investigation has revealed a lack of staffing and supervision, and that leadership didn’t even know the old hospital site was being used for training."

Old 03-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #20

Likes Given: 1

thanks for the post. will print this out.