Firearms Instructors
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Firearms Instructors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Firearms Instructors

I am a former Infantry Marine, working in the Executive Protection business, and looking into starting out my own small Firearms Instructor business. Currently in the process of taking the needed NRA Certification, but was wonder if there were any other things I should be looking into. For example, should it be a DBA or an LLC? What else might I need to research? I plan on trying to work part time for an already established Instructor/Company before hand for some experience, but am starting the research process now. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Semper Fi.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

One of the most important aspects of any home run business is being able to protect yourself from liability issues - and you need to incorporate to do that. Even an LLC will provide this basic protection which serves to isolate YOUR assets from the BUSINESS assets. Also, look at what insurance will cost you. In many cases, the cost of liability insurance will shock you. Any business involving newbies and firearms will need good insurance. It's also handy to know an accountant when tax time comes...

Old 03-07-2011, 09:04 PM   #3
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1357 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

Semper Fi...but be advised there are a lot of certified firearms instructors in civvie land. In most cases it will be a side job not a career. Good luck and I wish you success.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Old 03-08-2011, 12:29 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8853 Times on 3833 Posts
Likes Given: 1381

1. See an attorney, and incorporate. Otherwise, the cost of legal defense of the first lawsuit will have you living in a cheap apartment and driving a Yugo for the rest of your life. And that is if you WIN.

2. See an accountant. When he is talking, you should be taking notes. On what records you need, in what form. And learn how the business is going to pay for your new sidearm, holster, ammo- and write it off on your taxes.

3. See an insurance agent. As a minimum, you will need professional liability insurance for the corporation. The important part- it provides for legal defense.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #5

Default Advice

Thanks for all the advice guys.
- I do have an accountant that is a family friend as well so I am set there. I just need to set up a meeting with him about setting all this up. I am thinking an LLC over corporation just due to it being easier and less taxes
- I know that the NRA(which I am a Life Member) offers insurance for their certified instructors, so I am going to look into that, as well as independent insurance companies.
- @7point62, I know there are a lot of certified instructors out there, and I plan on it being a side gig mainly, though in the future I would hope to maybe make some needed connections and work with/assist someone else and their company who has an established record and who helps train our brothers on Pendleton or local LEAs

Old 03-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #6
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1357 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CplDuenas View Post
-@7point62, I know there are a lot of certified instructors out there, and I plan on it being a side gig mainly, though in the future I would hope to maybe make some needed connections and work with/assist someone else and their company who has an established record and who helps train our brothers on Pendleton or local LEAs

Rog that get in with a tactical training contractor with a solid rep, like Viking Tactics etc. Build up your creds and then branch out on your own. Any Marine infantry vet coming into the field already has a leg up.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Old 04-03-2011, 04:05 AM   #7

Hooyah, Marine. As someone else said, you need to LLC, just so that what is yours is yours and what is the business's is the business's. Also, probably should contact a lawyer. They ain't good for much, but they get ya out of some sticky **** sometimes. Best of luck.

"I CAN'T SEE MY BALD HEAD IN THIS BULK HEAD, SAILOR! WHY IN THE HELL NOT? AM I NOT PRETTY ENOUGH FOR YOU TO SHINE IT SO I CAN SEE MY BALD HEAD?" ~Lt. Vincent Folvs~

"Let the Marines storm the bunker and get shot at. We'll just blow their asses up from 50 miles out to sea." ~Admiral Josh Chinres~

"If you hit your head on my ship, you'd better not get your blood on my deck, Sailor." ~Ensign Vincent Van Burq~

Old 04-03-2011, 04:10 AM   #8

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by CplDuenas View Post
I am a former Infantry Marine, working in the Executive Protection business, and looking into starting out my own small Firearms Instructor business. Currently in the process of taking the needed NRA Certification, but was wonder if there were any other things I should be looking into. For example, should it be a DBA or an LLC? What else might I need to research? I plan on trying to work part time for an already established Instructor/Company before hand for some experience, but am starting the research process now. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Semper Fi.
LLC is the way to go, if your state permits it. You get the protections of a corporation and taxed as a sole proprietorship.

https://www.legalzoom.com/llc-guide/limited-liability-company-edu-center.html

Form a Limited Liability Company (LLC) Online with LegalZoom

Good luck with your new venture..

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 04-03-2011 at 04:17 AM.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:13 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Welcome to the FTF community and thank you for your service. Best of luck with your new venture.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-09-2011, 04:35 PM   #10

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info.