Firearm virgin... :-\ - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

Firearm virgin... :-\

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2009, 04:32 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Hi neighbor.
Welcome to the FTF. I sent a PM, check your inbox.
Jo

Old 09-16-2009, 11:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kablooie View Post
So the wifey and I have decided to get more informed on firearms and potentially buy something. Mind you neither of us have ever fired a gun (so I guess that means no bad habits...?)

Anways, we're in our early 30's and both are healthy with a 3 and 6 year old. We live in a safe LA County suburb. We are eventually planning to move (probably to MT) by the end of next year.

Our kid's little league coach is a LEO and suggested we check out Turner's for safety/training. Checking out their website shows this information Turner's Outdoorsman which seems decent... But I was wanting to see what you all thought.

TIA,
Louie
I'd suggest a 1911 as a gun to start with. I always liked it, I think it's a pretty simple gun, there are many different purposes it can be applied to, and I don't think they cost a ton. The first gun I ever shot was a .44 Magnum, so recoil was not an issue for me when I got into .45s. As for the safety training, I'd say ANY training and safety you can pick up is never a bad thing.

Last edited by hogger129; 09-16-2009 at 11:28 AM.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:51 PM   #13

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

While I love 1911s and have a number of them, they aren't necessarily a great first/only gun. They can be finicky and require more care and possible tweaking to make them "perfect". Once you gain some experience and get really comfortable with handguns - it's a great platform.

If I were to choose a single handgun for all around use, I'd suggest a 4 inch .357 magnum revolver. Simple to operate, they are a true "no tinkering required" type of gun. You can shoot anything from light .38 Special loads all the way to full-house, really nasty magnum loads - it's one of the few jack of all trades handguns out there.

If carry will be a consideration, 3 inch models are available which are a tad easier to carry & conceal...

Here's my 7 shot, 3 inch S&W 686+ and it's a great all-purpose gun...

Firearm virgin... :-\ - Training & Safety

Old 09-17-2009, 12:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
While I love 1911s and have a number of them, they aren't necessarily a great first/only gun. They can be finicky and require more care and possible tweaking to make them "perfect". Once you gain some experience and get really comfortable with handguns - it's a great platform.

If I were to choose a single handgun for all around use, I'd suggest a 4 inch .357 magnum revolver. Simple to operate, they are a true "no tinkering required" type of gun. You can shoot anything from light .38 Special loads all the way to full-house, really nasty magnum loads - it's one of the few jack of all trades handguns out there.

If carry will be a consideration, 3 inch models are available which are a tad easier to carry & conceal...

+1 on the recommendation for a .357. The nice thing about them is that they'll make a humongous noise and big hole with the .357 ammo, but you aren't restricted to it. You can start with the regular .38 specials, work your way up through the +p loads, and on to the .357 when you're used to handling the gun.

And the price of .38 specials for practice or recreation isn't going to break the household budget, if that's a consideration.....my nephew (on a restricted income) just sold his .45 1911, because he couldn't simply afford to shoot it as often as he liked.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:01 AM   #15

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

If you're in a budget the best first firearm I'd recommend would be a Taurus revolver model 65, you can buy one from $375 or less or a Ruger P95 for around $300.... Go and try to rent one of those and if you like it search in your local gun stores...
“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 09-17-2009, 12:14 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 73 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post

Firearm virgin... :-\ - Training & Safety
Here is my "Jack of all Trades" .357 Magnum. I trust it more than any other gun I own.
357magnum.jpg  

Old 09-17-2009, 06:52 PM   #17

Just a different viewpoint. I was a complete newcommer to firearms just 6 months ago. And everyone I talked to (pre FTF) tried to push me into a revolver. But I HATE revolvers. I have yet to find one that dosen't feel like a club (full frame), a toy (snub nose) or just plain awkward in my hands. So, keep your options open and decide for yourself what feels best. 90% of what makes the "right" gun is personal opinion. What is right for one person may be horribly wrong for you.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:09 PM   #18

Liked 1443 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Just a different viewpoint. I was a complete newcommer to firearms just 6 months ago. And everyone I talked to (pre FTF) tried to push me into a revolver. But I HATE revolvers. I have yet to find one that dosen't feel like a club (full frame), a toy (snub nose) or just plain awkward in my hands. So, keep your options open and decide for yourself what feels best. 90% of what makes the "right" gun is personal opinion. What is right for one person may be horribly wrong for you.
Spoken from truth right there!

A caneisim: "Never, did I say never buy what I like on my gun, ALWAYS buy what you like! Otherwise you will be carrying my gun on your hip!"

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-15-2010, 03:21 PM   #19

it makes me happy to hear people talking about safely classes before the purchase of a firearm. Always research your chosen firearm (make sure the right bullets go in the right gun you'd be surprised how often this happens ) always be safe and always teach your kids to be safe

for example take your kids shooting a Few times, don't let them shoot at first let them watch you and your wife shoot then when they demonstrate the necessary safety and handling skills start them out with something small (ie. .22, .223) them very slowly work your way up as they age. if you start a child off with something big and scary they will never want to shoot again.

here are some links on teaching gun saftey to kids

How to Teach Your Child Gun Safety | Field & Stream
NRA - Safety Information for Parents

good luck and have fun the world of firearms is fun but you should always be safe

don't wish for a lesser burden, just a stronger back

Old 04-16-2010, 05:59 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think deciding to arm oneself is quite a leap, yet after it is done, it feels pretty natural.

My strong advice with kids in the house is: Gun Safe