Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Firearm virgin... :-\ (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/firearm-virgin-17749/)

kablooie 09-06-2009 05:23 AM

Firearm virgin... :-\

So the wifey and I have decided to get more informed on firearms and potentially buy something. Mind you neither of us have ever fired a gun (so I guess that means no bad habits...?) :rolleyes:

Anways, we're in our early 30's and both are healthy with a 3 and 6 year old. We live in a safe LA County suburb. We are eventually planning to move (probably to MT) by the end of next year.

Our kid's little league coach is a LEO and suggested we check out Turner's for safety/training. Checking out their website shows this information Turner's Outdoorsman which seems decent... But I was wanting to see what you all thought.

TIA,
Louie

falseharmonix 09-07-2009 05:27 PM

I'm no expert but will offer you my $0.10.

I would first figure out what use you have in mind for the weapon. Hunting, Self Defense, Recreational?

After you've established that, I would take a trip to a local gun range. Mine, and many others, let you rent many of the firearms they sell before you buy.

Then, I would get you and your wife some 1-on-1 personal training. Including everything from safe handling, proper maintenance, proper grip and stance, etc.

Then, buy your gun, your ammo, and practice practice practice practice...

HERE is an article written by one of our members, Samples.32, about a weapon for concealed carry. It touches on many important issues, and you may find it useful to your search for a weapon.

(original link HERE)

aliendroid 09-07-2009 06:39 PM

Good decision, I think anyone who doesn't buy a gun or have a gun today is taking a huge risk.

CA357 09-07-2009 07:22 PM

Congratulations, you've made a critical decision to look after you and yours.

kablooie 09-07-2009 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falseharmonix (Post 156442)
I'm no expert but will offer you my $0.10.

I would first figure out what use you have in mind for the weapon. Hunting, Self Defense, Recreational?

After you've established that, I would take a trip to a local gun range. Mine, and many others, let you rent many of the firearms they sell before you buy.

Then, I would get you and your wife some 1-on-1 personal training. Including everything from safe handling, proper maintenance, proper grip and stance, etc.

falseharmonix: there are a few ranges with a few miles and I know for sure one of them rents all different types, so that will be good. As for the training it will probably come down to Firearms Training - LAX Firing Range in Los Angeles, CA or the Turner's link I posted above. I can't see spending $100 for 2 hours versus $75 for 5 hours. Granted ammo is included only in the $100 price and lunch is included in the $75 price. ;)

Back 5-6 years ago when we lived in apartment and the neighbors had a domestic dispute (of their own), I looked into getting a gun but that fizzled out as wifey does not care for them and didnt want one in the home. (now she's seeing the light and is asking about CCW... I was like, "you? WTF? where is this coming from??") lol.

So now I'm looking into this again and slowly pushing this along so as not to overwhelm her. Anyway, no hunting use, mainly SD and then recreational time permitting.

I liked the look/options of the SW686 when I was checking this out before, but never did anything about it. One recommendation was a shotgun though due to the common walls. Now we're in a house and I think either HG or SG will be fine. Heck maybe one of each and a sp101 for her... :D

So as we progress, I'll keep you updated.

TIA for the help!

falseharmonix 09-08-2009 04:36 AM

Glad I could be of assistance. Keep us updated, good luck with the search, and we hope to see you posting around soon!

tiberius10721 09-10-2009 06:49 PM

Be careful once you buy one gun you'll buy another then another,then another,then another,then another, then another,then another:D

kablooie 09-12-2009 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiberius10721 (Post 157885)
Be careful once you buy one gun you'll buy another then another,then another,then another,then another, then another,then another:D

I'm sure, however due to limited funds and the WAF... I don't think I will encounter this "problem" :(

Rentacop 09-12-2009 03:38 PM

"The more guns you have, the more you need." - Anon.

canebrake 09-12-2009 03:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kablooie (Post 156015)
So the wifey and I have decided to get more informed on firearms and potentially buy something. Mind you neither of us have ever fired a gun (so I guess that means no bad habits...?) :rolleyes:

Anways, we're in our early 30's and both are healthy with a 3 and 6 year old. We live in a safe LA County suburb. We are eventually planning to move (probably to MT) by the end of next year.

Our kid's little league coach is a LEO and suggested we check out Turner's for safety/training. Checking out their website shows this information Turner's Outdoorsman which seems decent... But I was wanting to see what you all thought.

TIA,
Louie

Spend $15 and become a Supporting Member! Attachment 5929

Then jump into the Knowledge Base and read, read, read.........

It's the logical, 'next step' for you. When you run into a question, you can post it here or PM the author and get the info direct! It's why we're here.