Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Firearm purchase requirement question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/firearm-purchase-requirement-question-73318/)

Armed-Citizen 09-28-2012 04:29 AM

Firearm purchase requirement question
 
when one purchases a firearm, in this case a rifle, one must show proof that you live here and etc. my question is if your name is not the name on the proof (gas bills and adress, etc) what do you show then to prove that you live there? an example would be an 18 year old trying to purchase a firearm but lives with his parents?

Jpyle 09-28-2012 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armed-Citizen (Post 957199)
when one purchases a firearm, in this case a rifle, one must show proof that you live here and etc. my question is if your name is not the name on the proof (gas bills and adress, etc) what do you show then to prove that you live there? an example would be an 18 year old trying to purchase a firearm but lives with his parents?

Not sure a gas bill or such is sufficient...it doesn't prove residency. You will need to show a state issued ID like a drivers license or non-drivers ID. Call a local gun shop and ask them what forms of ID they accept...

USEBOTHHANDS 09-28-2012 04:39 AM

driver's license, but i can just as easily go into MS and buy a long-gun with NO transference back to an FFL in my state.

years ago though, a handgun HAD to be transferred to an FFL back in my state of residence, but i think that law was repealed.

if i'm not mistaken, i can purchase a handgun in MS. i live in LA by the way.

it might just be a reciprocity thing between LA and MS, but i thought it was a federal ruling.................IDK.

willfully armed 09-28-2012 05:56 AM

You may not buy a handgun in another state period. Regardless if its a dealer or private sale.

You may only purchase long guns out of state from a licensed dealer.

USEBOTHHANDS 09-28-2012 06:13 AM

i can get a definite answer tomorrow.

Armed-Citizen 09-28-2012 04:06 PM

i live in ca by the way.
will call today and get back to everyone

c3shooter 09-28-2012 06:23 PM

1. As said- you may only purchase a handgun in your home state
2. You may only purchase a rifle or shotgun in another state from a DEALER (Californians cannot buy any gun out of state- california law)

3. ID that would be accepted- a govt issued photo ID that shows address. 2nd ID to confirm address would be a utility bill, car registration, voter registration card, etc. I have even used a hunting license. A service member may be able to use military ID TOGETHER with a copy of his orders assigning him to that duty station.

silverado113 09-28-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willfully armed (Post 957291)
You may not buy a handgun in another state period. Regardless if its a dealer or private sale.

You may only purchase long guns out of state from a licensed dealer.

You can buy a handgun out of your state of residence however, the handgun has to be shipped to a FFL in your state of residence before it can be transferred to you. It is no different than buying online from Buds, you just happen to be in person. Provided of course there is no state law against it.

Q: May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State?

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]

rifleman1 09-28-2012 07:39 PM

when you buy a long gun in california you only have to show an i.d. but when you buy a handgun you also show proof of residency i use my car registration also you have to have a handgun saftey certifacate which has to be renewed every five years.

orangello 09-28-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rifleman1 (Post 957767)
when you buy a long gun in california you only have to show an i.d. but when you buy a handgun you also show proof of residency i use my car registration also you have to have a handgun saftey certifacate which has to be renewed every five years.

We need a button or icon we can click on a post that roughly equals AGHAST or CAN'TFRIKKENBELIEVE.

Go East young man! (or further west, or north, or almost any direction OUT)


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:06 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.