Firarms safety rules

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Firarms safety rules

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 03:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 106

So in addition to the basic safety rules:
Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, only point the weapon at anything you intend to destroy, treat every gun as if it were loaded, and keep your booger flicker off the bang switch.
But what about things like squib rounds and hang fires? Personally I don't know anything about them or how to tell if I fired one. I think these should become more common knowledge, especially to rookie shooters like myself.

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

Last edited by longunner; 01-30-2013 at 04:07 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-30-2013, 04:28 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 405 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNARG
So in addition to the basic safety rules:
Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, only point the weapon at anything you intend to destroy, treat every gun as if it were loaded, and keep your booger flicker off the bang switch.
But what about things like squib rounds and hang fires? Personally I don't know anything about them or how to tell if I fired one. I think these should become more common knowledge, especially to rookie shooters like myself.
It should be something covered by someone taking you shooting. However having forgotten to cover these with newbie shooters understand your concerns. I took my father and sister shooting one time and my father had experienced a hangfire. I was at the time walking my sister through a function and wasn't fully watching him. He went to lower the gun to the bench and it went off while he still had positive control. I now make sure I cover all malfunctions with people before we hit the range. As for getting you some info, a hang fire is when there's a primer strike but detonation is delayed. When this happens keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction wait for a minute before ejecting the round. For squibs you should notice something didn't feel right about the round just fired, clear the firearm and do not attempt to fire again until the barrel can be verified clear of obstructions.

My pistols, however, I always kept by me.
Jesse James

Old 01-30-2013, 04:34 AM   #3

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseman3

It should be something covered by someone taking you shooting. However having forgotten to cover these with newbie shooters understand your concerns. I took my father and sister shooting one time and my father had experienced a hangfire. I was at the time walking my sister through a function and wasn't fully watching him. He went to lower the gun to the bench and it went off while he still had positive control. I now make sure I cover all malfunctions with people before we hit the range. As for getting you some info, a hang fire is when there's a primer strike but detonation is delayed. When this happens keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction wait for a minute before ejecting the round. For squibs you should notice something didn't feel right about the round just fired, clear the firearm and do not attempt to fire again until the barrel can be verified clear of obstructions.
Good to know. No one takes me out shooting anymore I loved shooting from the first time I ever shot trap (age 11) and couldn't wait to get my first shotgun and now I own a few myself.

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

Old 01-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2905 Times on 1675 Posts
Likes Given: 1252

A squib load will feel and sound different than a normal load.
It happens when the primer has produced enough gas to get the bullet into the barrel but not much more.
DO NOT try to fire another round.

I carry a rod with me to the range (and it has helped more than just me). Long enough to exceed the barrel length, and of a material that will not scratch the lands or grooves of the barrel.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1997 Times on 1182 Posts
Likes Given: 957

The other things I added to my safety rules/training, which is armed self defense is:
1. Be sure of your target,
2. And what is behind and around it before you fire.
I am glad to see you say 'treat every gun as if it is loaded' instead of "every gun is always loaded" which they are NOT!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!