Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Firarms safety rules (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/firarms-safety-rules-82850/)

longunner 01-30-2013 03:55 AM

So in addition to the basic safety rules:
Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, only point the weapon at anything you intend to destroy, treat every gun as if it were loaded, and keep your booger flicker off the bang switch.
But what about things like squib rounds and hang fires? Personally I don't know anything about them or how to tell if I fired one. I think these should become more common knowledge, especially to rookie shooters like myself.

Wiseman3 01-30-2013 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNARG
So in addition to the basic safety rules:
Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, only point the weapon at anything you intend to destroy, treat every gun as if it were loaded, and keep your booger flicker off the bang switch.
But what about things like squib rounds and hang fires? Personally I don't know anything about them or how to tell if I fired one. I think these should become more common knowledge, especially to rookie shooters like myself.

It should be something covered by someone taking you shooting. However having forgotten to cover these with newbie shooters understand your concerns. I took my father and sister shooting one time and my father had experienced a hangfire. I was at the time walking my sister through a function and wasn't fully watching him. He went to lower the gun to the bench and it went off while he still had positive control. I now make sure I cover all malfunctions with people before we hit the range. As for getting you some info, a hang fire is when there's a primer strike but detonation is delayed. When this happens keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction wait for a minute before ejecting the round. For squibs you should notice something didn't feel right about the round just fired, clear the firearm and do not attempt to fire again until the barrel can be verified clear of obstructions.

longunner 01-30-2013 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiseman3

It should be something covered by someone taking you shooting. However having forgotten to cover these with newbie shooters understand your concerns. I took my father and sister shooting one time and my father had experienced a hangfire. I was at the time walking my sister through a function and wasn't fully watching him. He went to lower the gun to the bench and it went off while he still had positive control. I now make sure I cover all malfunctions with people before we hit the range. As for getting you some info, a hang fire is when there's a primer strike but detonation is delayed. When this happens keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction wait for a minute before ejecting the round. For squibs you should notice something didn't feel right about the round just fired, clear the firearm and do not attempt to fire again until the barrel can be verified clear of obstructions.

Good to know. No one takes me out shooting anymore I loved shooting from the first time I ever shot trap (age 11) and couldn't wait to get my first shotgun and now I own a few myself.

danf_fl 01-30-2013 10:24 AM

A squib load will feel and sound different than a normal load.
It happens when the primer has produced enough gas to get the bullet into the barrel but not much more.
DO NOT try to fire another round.

I carry a rod with me to the range (and it has helped more than just me). Long enough to exceed the barrel length, and of a material that will not scratch the lands or grooves of the barrel.

JimRau 01-30-2013 02:51 PM

The other things I added to my safety rules/training, which is armed self defense is:
1. Be sure of your target,
2. And what is behind and around it before you fire.
I am glad to see you say 'treat every gun as if it is loaded' instead of "every gun is always loaded" which they are NOT!