FBI Uses Chainsaw In Raid On Wrong Fitchburg Apartment
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > FBI Uses Chainsaw In Raid On Wrong Fitchburg Apartment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2733 Times on 1359 Posts
Likes Given: 269

Default FBI Uses Chainsaw In Raid On Wrong Fitchburg Apartment

For the purpose of this thread, I'd like to avoid the politics of this issue. My biggest issue is safety of me & mine.
I worry about this because of the potential for loss of life and the deep legal hole that one could be dropped into should you shoot before the LE identify themselves. Theoretically, in some locations, one could shoot through the door legally. Maybe not the best of ideas, but theoretically not illegal.
I don't understand how this sort of thing continues to happen. Seems to me that one of the first things one should do before kicking in a door, would be to verify the correct address.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/01/31/fbi-uses-chainsaw-in-raid-on-wrong-fitchburg-apartment/

Thoughts?

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Personally, I prefer a good double-bladed axe over the chainsaw for gaining entry. Always wanted a old-school fireman's axe.

edit* Seriously though, I think this guy did the right thing given similar circumstances. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corey_Maye

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 02-01-2012 at 06:52 PM.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #3

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

That's just great. If it were me, I'd have been shot dead for opening fire, my family probably wouldn't even be able to sue, and the anti gun crowd would be screaming for more gun control. Chicago, anyone?

While at the same time, the anti gun crowd would also be dragging my name through the mud as a vigilante, murderer, anti social, militia, racist, redneck, freak.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5511 Times on 2878 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Thats actually happened with those insane no knock warrants. Homeowners have been shot for shooting at cops who were in those crazy burgler ski masks in black gestapo uniforms breaking down the wrong door serving no knock warrants.

My take is the issuing judge should be brought up on charges for even granting such a warrant. Its irresponsible.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

AWDeanSr Likes This 
Old 02-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
... ski masks in black gestapo uniforms ...
Can somebody explain to me the purpose of those uniforms, because i have wondered about that before. Were i a LEO about to go through a door, i would want to be smurfy freakin blue all over with my badge at center mass and the stereotypical flat-topped uniform hat glued to my helmet for easier identification.

I'm not trying to be a dick here; i want to know the logic. It doesn't seem like they are trying to camoflage and blend in to the background. When they get the correct door and are bursting in on a meth cook or something, does being dressed like a ninja make the tweekers less likely to mount a defense? Now, if they came in with ice cream man uniforms on over vests, i could understand, maybe as postmen or utility workers.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:22 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2694 Times on 1408 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Black is slimming. Really, black makes you look more imposing. The "fear factor" is at play here. SWAT teams across the country are abandoning the black and going with more inncouous colors. Our teams have gone to OD. It blends in better and avoids that "ninja" stigma.

No knock warrants are the huge exception. Every warrant service requires a detailed Threat Assessment be done. It drives my Patrol guys nuts that I make them do one for every warrant service they want to attempt. It is CYA. They start to understand the complexities of the situation when they do the assessment themselves. There has to be specific articulable facts presented to justify a no knock warrant. Just because the BG will likely destroy evidence is not good enough. Of course he will destroy evidence, that's what they do.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Black is slimming.

Just because the BG will likely destroy evidence is not good enough. Of course he will destroy evidence, that's what they do.
I knew it was fashion related!

But seriously, i have heard sooo many stories about the trailer raids when the Sheriff turns off the water or makes his least favorite deputy pull the drain hose to prevent flushing. I wouldn't want that job.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The rationale is that it's a psychological advantage. When you kick in the door, you want to look scary. The thinking is that this provides an advantage in the takedown. I could be wrong but I believe it goes back to LAPD SWAT when they re-vamped their pp&w back in the early 80's withe the loving advice and assistance from the FBI HRT.

Last edited by Belltactical; 02-01-2012 at 09:44 PM.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #9

Liked 303 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Wonder if this is the kind of saw they used?

http://www.fire-end.com/k12saw.htm#K-12 Rescue

Firemen and other agencies claim the K-12 is "the key to the city."

Old 02-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #10

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14
Wonder if this is the kind of saw they used?

http://www.fire-end.com/k12saw.htm#K-12 Rescue
Looks like it would be much quicker handling than a standard chainsaw.