Faster is better.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Faster is better.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2014, 07:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Default Faster is better.

You often do not even need to fire in order to run off an attacker(much less actually hit him with a bullet). Misses suffice, quite often as do poor hits, even with a "mere" .22lr.. The NRA Armed Citizen column is proof of my statement. So is Cirillo's gunfighting book. You can't shoot or intimidate anyone with a gun that you do not yet have pointed at them (and noticed, for the intimidation part) Fast draw practice has no monetary cost, can be done in your bedroom at any time. Given a laserlyte training device, or airsoft "gun" practice can help a lot with your accuracy, too. So do laser sights.

You can get an electronic shooting timer for very cheap these days. It's an "app" on your smart phone, $5 or less with most makers of phones. There is no excuse for being slow with your ccw draw.

Be careful to not ALWAYS fire as you draw. Always be READY to fire,yes, but do not make the actual killing-stroke a relex! The guy might surrender or flee, and you'll get videotaped killing him as he does so! You may have been mistaken about the level of the threat that you (originally) thought that you perceived. You CAN train yourself to the point that you draw if a car backfires as it drives by you, so beware of overdoing it.

Last edited by uanda; 06-22-2014 at 01:49 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-21-2014, 08:17 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

do you have any idea as to what you are talking about?

apparently not. first of this ain't the Wild West, and we aren't in Dodge City fixing to head out into the street for a showdown!

faster isn't always better. you keep preaching on this as if it were some magical shield that will save a person if they are in the highly unlikely scenario of a gunfight. most encounters are more than likely going to be up close and personal, and speed of the draw are probably going to be less important than being able to hit your intended target.

being fast on the draw, is pretty much irrelevent if you can't hit your target. at some point when you mature enough and stop thinking in terms of the likes of Jerry Miculek as a role model to pattern yourself after, you might actually learn something. Jerry Miculek is a rare individual, of being gifted with speed and accuracy. the vast majority of shooters will never be able to shoot like he does. you really need to stop confusing competition style shooting practices with the what goes on in a real world situation in regards to SD.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:09 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 987 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

The only time my gun comes into play as a civilian, is when "I'm scared" not out of anger, not attempting to make a citizens arrest. Just when my senses tell me my life is in eminent danger or the life of my loved ones or those I'm in charge of. I will not "brandish" my pistol to repel or make a bluff. If I get a surrender then I'll act accordingly, which more than likely will be for me to exit and seek safety. I have no need to hold someone at gunpoint for the cops to arrive except for 2 or 3 reasons.

My conscious state of "being aware" keeps me out of those situations. I constantly practice draw and shoot immediately from the holster as I practice for other drills. I'm smooth and accurate and that's all I want. I'm not and never will be an "exhibitionist" type shooter that brings forth the OOOHS the AWES and the WOWS from the observing audience.

I am me, and you are you friend. What may work for you doesn't for me.....

Become steel or get cut.
People Like This 
Old 06-21-2014, 09:22 PM   #4

Liked 199 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Speed trumps accuracy every time.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:27 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 185 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Speed trumps accuracy until you whip out yo nine and busta cap in the wrong persons ass

Old 06-21-2014, 09:29 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 987 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
I believe accuracy "rounds on target" ends(wins) the fight..

Become steel or get cut.
People Like This 
Old 06-21-2014, 09:29 PM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
spray and pray method huh?

sorry, Shoobee again you're incorrect. hitting your intended target is much more important than how fast you are in drawing or shooting.

i am pretty sure any innocent bystanders would much rather some being accurate rather than fast if bullets are flying.

missing the BG and hitting an innocent bystander is probably a good way to set yourself up for possible criminal charges and civil lawsuits. i suggest you two retain the services of good attorneys.

very seldom do i say this, but i really think some people would be better off not having guns. you and Uanda are becoming good examples of why i think this.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:30 PM   #8

Liked 1905 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 1253

Misses suffice? You have got to be kidding! How many innocent people do you plan on killing while you defend yourself? Dude...put down the XBOX controller and get your dad to take you to the range.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

People Like This 
Old 06-21-2014, 09:32 PM   #9

Liked 1905 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 1253

Quote:
Are you a New York City Policeman?

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

People Like This 
Old 06-21-2014, 09:41 PM   #10

Liked 199 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
Are you a New York City Policeman?
No, I am a California communist insurgent born and raised in Florida who believes in the 2nd Amendment.

And that God fell short of making all men equal, although Samuel Colt fixed that for Him.