FAQ's.... - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

FAQ's....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 05:54 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

How many rounds do YOU shoot in your class? I seldom, if ever shoot in my classes...for a couple of reasons. My classes are NOT about what I can do with a pistol. They are about teaching my students to be the best they can. If I shoot the El Prez in 3 seconds, and the best a student can do is 8 seconds...what have I taught them? I have shot El Prez literally thousands of times, and after having done it...of course I am going to do it pretty darned quick. I will shoot IF a student is having accuracy issues with their pistol and I cannot SEE a technique problem...then I will shoot their gun to verify zero and correct as neccessary. I have seen too many instructors who use their class as a "Looky here what I can do" session, and I think that is stealing time the student has paid for. If it doesn't benefit the student, I don't do it.

Do you feel the El Presidente is a good tactical drill? Not so much. What it IS good for is giving me a quantifiable basline of three skills. Draw stroke, reloading while engaged, and shooting. I show them from their first time shooting the drill, then their last time shooting the drill at the eld of class, and the class can see marked improvement.

Do you ever do bodyguard work? Yes. But only for people who allow a background check. I won't work for scumbags.

How can I get into bodyguard work? First you have to realize, the first job of a personal security person is to AVOID trouble. If you have a hardass mentality, you are doing your client no service. Bodyguard work is 99.99% boredom, and the rest is usually walking! A background in LE is a good start.

Do cops really have a ticket quota? NO...we can write as many as we want to! Seriously, unless you work a TRAFFIC detail you don't have a quota. Even motor officers have a guideline based upon statistics of how many cites they SHOULD be able to write on a given day during given hours. Some departments MAY have quotas, but they are urban legends as far as I am concerned.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by "ArizonaLawman'
If I shoot the El Prez in 3 seconds,...
How fast can you shoot the El Prez?

Old 11-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbo00 View Post
How fast can you shoot the El Prez?
Damned sure not 3 seconds! I should have been more clear when I was typing that..it was a ridiculous fast speed to illustrate the relationship of a "looky what I can do" on something you've done a zillion times versus what someone new to that drill can do. Basically an instructor showing off on the range.

I can consistently run El Prez 9.5 - 10.5 seconds with good hits.

Last edited by ArizonaLawman; 11-04-2011 at 10:11 PM.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:11 PM   #14

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaLawman View Post
Damned sure not 3 seconds! I should have been more clear when I was typing that..it was to illustrate the relationship of "looky what I can do" on something you've done a zillion times versus what someone new to that drill can do.
Are you evading the question? Come on, how fast can you shoot it? I've never even attempted it, haven't done any competitive shooting at all. Want to though.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:16 PM   #15

Todd Jarrett can run it about twice as fast as I can on steel.

Newest Threads