Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > FAQ's....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default FAQ's....

Okay all....I have been getting a LOT of questions via PM so I thought I'd put a "HERE'S WHY I DO IT" post here.

Do you carry spare magazines? Yes. Always. The magazine is the "weak link" in any auto pistol...having a spare is just good common sense. A fast mag change is a FAST REPAIR.

How many spare magazines do you carry? I carry two spares. Not because I think I am going to need them or be in a protracted gun battle...though it MAY happen. I carry two spares becasue they balance the weight of the gun on the off-side, and it eases strain on your back.

Do you carry a BUG? Yes. About 99.9% of the time, I have my primary and a BUG. A second gun is a great form of life insurance.

What kind of holster do you use? MOST of the time, I carry OWB in a pancake style that fully covers the frame/triggerguard but allows a full fighting grip on the grip. Any other time, I am carrying IWB in a snap-closure holster. All my holsters are horse-hide made for me by a retired officer.

Can I shoot someone with a knife? No. You can stab or cut them with a knife, but you can't shoot them with a knife. However, if someone is ARMED WITH A KNIFE AND THREATENING YOU (generally within 21ft as the Tueller Rule is recognized) you may use your defensive handgun to end that threat.

Can you shoot at a person fleeing in a car? Generally, I would say "NO" to that. It is one of those that really depends upon the circumstances. If the continued flight of the subject presented such a grave danger to the community as a whole, an argument might be successfully made for shooting at the fleeing car. Generallty though, as a civilian...it's not a good idea.

What kind of ammo do you use? Any quality JHP defensive round from a good manufacturer will work. I really like FEDERAL ammo across the board. I have found it to be most accurate (for me) and feeds even in some finicky Non-Glocks.

More to come

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-21-2011, 06:28 PM   #2

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I was confused about the knife question at first, then I ended up laughing.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

http://youtu.be/OrlzBj2lIJg
http://youtu.be/vW3ZBLlPz_c
Just sayin.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I knew one of you rascals was going to bring that up...for the sake of argument, we are just talking about a classic bladed instrument with NO ballistic capability.

SOME people's children....LOL

Old 10-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Well okay then... 2 things, Are ballistic knives illegal here in the U.S.? and second thing, I would beat that boy's A$$ for using my barn door for target practice.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Well okay then... 2 things, Are ballistic knives illegal here in the U.S.? and second thing, I would beat that boy's A$$ for using my barn door for target practice.
It is my understanding that spring-loaded knives are a no-no, though a recent "reality" show included a bit on making a black powder-powered version that was supposedly legal.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:22 PM   #7

Quote:
It is my understanding that spring-loaded knives are a no-no, though a recent "reality" show included a bit on making a black powder-powered version that was supposedly legal.
I looked it up on Wikipedia, which I consider to be an unreliable source, and according to what they have posted it falls under the AOW category under the NFA and is legal. But that leaves the state laws to research and find what they have to say about it.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:55 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Spring Loaded Knives: They are locale-dependant. In Arizona, they are not prohibited. BUT....that is one of those things you better check out with local statute. For the most part you CAN ask Officer Friendly...if he doesn't know what a prohibited weapon is in HIS jurisdiction...he's a mess anyway.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:57 AM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

"Do you like the 9mm?" Yes. With premium defensive ammunition, the 9mm is MORE THAN CAPABLE of effective self defense. Though my USUAL daily carry pistol is a Glock 22RTF with a GLock 27 4th Gen as a BUG...I do, and will continue to carry a 9mm on occaision and NOT feel undergunned.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:14 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5304 Times on 2770 Posts
Likes Given: 334

Quote:
a blackpowder knife is still illegal if your state prohibits spring loaded. it falls under the reasonable man test. and yes its an nfa aow. but like machine guns destructive devices short barrel rifles or suppressors they have to be allowed in your state. the way the batfe sees things here lately items need to be explicitly allowed. its perfectly fine to sell weapons to drug dealers but not to honest citizens...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...