Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   The Eyes have it. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/eyes-have-45175/)

danf_fl 07-14-2011 10:58 AM

The Eyes have it.

For the last few months, I've been having trouble focusing on the front sight when pistol shooting.

No matter what I did, I could not keep the front sight in a clear picture.

Finally went to the doctor, got a new prescription for glasses (trifocal no less).

My shooting has improved as well as seeing more things I've been missing.

Bottom line: get your eyes checked regularly.

spittinfire 07-14-2011 01:11 PM

Ya know, I've never had my eyes checked....other then at the DMV and boot camp.

Davo45 07-16-2011 10:52 PM

Can you see the target clearly with tri-focals?

danf_fl 07-16-2011 11:19 PM

Clear enough to hit the center. I was taught that the front sight should be clear with a little "haze" around rear sight and target.
The way my trifocals are, I have front sight clear and target is clear enough to tell if it is a bad guy or good guy.

BlindOldMan 07-17-2011 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 540906)
For the last few months, I've been having trouble focusing on the front sight when pistol shooting.

No matter what I did, I could not keep the front sight in a clear picture.

Finally went to the doctor, got a new prescription for glasses (trifocal no less).

My shooting has improved as well as seeing more things I've been missing.

Bottom line: get your eyes checked regularly.

I don't understand??? What is this "clear picture" that you speak of? :D

fireguy 07-17-2011 12:35 AM

I have progressive lenses. Never wore glassen until 2 years ago. It is a major pain to look through a scope with the progressives. I can still pass the DMV eye exam without the glasses, but can't read a lick without them.

danf_fl 07-17-2011 01:12 AM

I have astigmatism. With my eyesight, if the focal plane is not correct, everything has a "shadow" image even if I cover one eye.
It is like seeing "cross-eyed" with one eye (that is why I have an odd skew on things)

My new glasses allow me to focus on something and have a clear picture without the double image. As such, I can actually see the front sight now instead of multiples.

But if I have to tilt my head sideways to read something (like a cable designation), all bets are off.

This has a good example of my eyesight:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astigmatism
I have trouble with horizontal focus. If you look at the figure, you will see an example (but mine was worse).

BlindOldMan 07-17-2011 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 543398)
I have astigmatism. With my eyesight, if the focal plane is not correct, everything has a "shadow" image even if I cover one eye.
It is like seeing "cross-eyed" with one eye (that is why I have an odd skew on things)

:) I know *exactly* what you mean. I still have clear memories of camping and watching the moons above. I can see make out the red dot on a target about 5 yards away, but beyond that it's just a rough guess based on the sight picture on the black. I remember the first time wearing glasses and being amazed to actually see individual leaves on trees. I could actually make out individual toes on my feet..

Funny thing too.. People said I was a lot friendlier after getting glasses.. Used to be that I couldn't tell who was passing me in the hallway so I just ignored them.. :/

BB98338 08-12-2011 11:35 PM

The eyes have it

I have to wear bifocals. I noticed that if I looked thru the part that would let the sight focus the target was blurred and when I looked at the part to get the target focused the sights were blurry. I ended up getting a crimson trace laser which is the greatest thing since white sliced bread.

Dennis845 08-13-2011 01:52 AM

I hate wearing glass's, they're uncomfortable and hurt the bridge of the nose and ears after awhile. I really lucked out at the DMV with my eye test a few months ago. When told to read line #4, I almost asked if she would allow me to try line #1. I read it to her as fast as I could and hoped for the best. I couldn't tell a C from a O, etc. Guess she wasn't listening or didn't care :rolleyes:

Time to start shooting IDPA with my 12 ga. instead of .45