Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Eye glasses, safety glasses. and hearing protection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2009, 10:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Eye glasses, safety glasses. and hearing protection

I am new at FireArms Talk, and this is my first post. I am new to guns. I wear eye glasses and am looking for eye and hearing protection while firing a pistol. Should I be using wrap around safety glasses, or would eye glasses be enough protection? If more protection is needed, are wrap around safety glasses available that fit over eye glasses? And would I better off with ear plugs since the frames might break the ear muff seal? I admit my ignorance and that I've asked a lot of questions. But I want to be sure that I do things right. Thanks.

Last edited by twitcheyfinger; 05-24-2009 at 12:06 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-23-2009, 11:04 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

You should be looking for something with an ANSI rating of Z87.1 for the glasses. Your prescription lenses or sunglasses should be sufficient as long as they carry that "safety" rating.

As far as ears go, I've always preferred muffs, as they're quick and easy to get on and off. All muffs, even the cheapest, will conform to the proper ANSI rating.

If you prefer plugs, look at the "NRR" rating on the container and buy the highest that you can find. They're cheap, so buy a few different kinds and see what fits you best and feels most comfortable.

Many will tell you that they run double protection, but generally for shooting, it's overkill. I double up at work, but only because I work on a large hammer drill that produces sustained noise in excess of 150 dBc. You'd be hard pressed to find a gun that put out that much noise.

When I shoot, I usually wear my Smith Optics sunglasses and a pair of muffs that I paid $3ish for.

Welcome to the site. Let us know if you need anything.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 05-23-2009 at 11:08 PM.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:10 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitcheyfinger View Post
I am new at FireArms Talk, and this is my first post. I am new to guns. I wear eye glasses and am looking for eye and hearing protection while firing a pistol. Should I be using wrap around safety glasses, or would eye glasses be enough protection? If more protection is needed, are wrap around safety glasses available that fit over eye glasses? And would I better off with ear plugs since the frames might break the ear muff seal? I admit my ignorance and that I've asked a lot of questions. But I want to be sure that I do things right. Thanks.
Twitchey,welcome and don't worry about asking too many questions,specially on safety issues ,you don't want to go wrong with that,we are glad to help if we can......Matt G's answer probablly cleared your doubts...safe shooting...

Old 05-24-2009, 06:29 AM   #4

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I also have eye glasses and if in a pinch I'll use them, but I have a pair of ESS ICE ballistic glasses with perscription inserts that I wore over in Afghanistan that I use for shooting here. They look a bit dorky with the clear ones, but I don't wanna take any chances with training. IIRC you can get them for about $70 with the inserts.

As for hearing I have 2 different muffs. One is a normal good quality ear muff that I use when I shoot by myself. I also have one of those ones that claim to cut out noise at a certain decible level although I found they don't work so hot in indoor ranges, so I let anyone I take with me to outdoor ranges use those so if I have to correct them I'll be sure they hear me.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 05-24-2009, 09:43 PM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

@ twitcheyfinger,

welcome here in the forum.

I wear prescription glasses aswell.

For shooting I bought myself a pair of peltor maxim/maxim ballistic safety glasses and the matching Rx insert for prescription lenses.

By using such a system, you can get diffent coloured lenses, amber, grey or clear and just need to move the Rx insert.

Ken

Old 05-25-2009, 12:17 AM   #6

Thanks to all for the informative replies. Kdog, I think that I will give your suggestion a try since the price sound reasonable.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:31 AM   #7

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I wear contacts so my safety glass requirement is satisfied with my Remington shooting glasses. (<$10 and I have several shades for in and outdoors)

1both.jpg

When it comes to hearing protection I find the ear muffs distracting and extremely HOT down here in South Florida.

I did a great deal of testing and research for an "ear plug" style substitute for the muffs. I was not having any luck and refused to pay the $500+ electronic ear plugs.

1aplug.jpg

Then I found a pair of $12 plugs made by Surefire called EAR PRO, Sonic Defenders Plus. This allows me to shoot about 90% of my handgun time sans muffs. I use both when shooting Fenrir (my 460 Rowland hand cannon) and muffs when shooting long guns outdoor.

I see the price has gone up but what hasn't? I get a sale alert every now and then that they are on sale. I got my first two pair last fall and am still using the first pair. They seem to be pretty durable and require little maintenance.

I’m a big guy but purchased the medium size because a note in the ad said the majority of users wear medium. I’m glad I did! The medium is almost too big.

Try a pair, I think you'll like them.

I think a good range bag will have both plugs and muffs. A durable set of muffs are <$20 and last you a lifetime.

EarPro EP-3 Sonic Defenders®- EP3 from SureFire

Surefire | EP4 Sonic Defenders Plus Earplugs | EP4-MPR | B&H

Surefire EP4 EarPro Sonic Defenders Plus EP4-LPR

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-25-2009, 09:54 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
I use both when shooting Fenrir (my 460 Rowland hand cannon) and muffs when shooting long guns outdoor.
Where's my royalty check for the use of my 'Fenrir' idea?

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Old 05-26-2009, 01:33 AM   #9

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Where's my royalty check for the use of my 'Fenrir' idea?
Whose idea?

01-14-2009, 12:48 PM

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/44-magnum-do-they-9901/#post62519

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-26-2009, 12:13 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
You've been editing threads again, haven't you?

Just to keep things on topic, what's the NRR on those plugs? I usually just steal ear plugs from work. They've got a 33 dBA NRR, but they don't hold up to Northern Cali's heat well, when locked in a Jeep for weeks at a time.

Roger Waters