Empty Magazine Retention?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Empty Magazine Retention?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Empty Magazine Retention?

Does anyone else practice reloading, and then keeping the empty magazine / speedloader? I've never heard of anyone doing that, but it seems like in a crazy SHTF situation, especially if one were not home**, tossing all your empties on the ground while evading means after the fight (if you survive), you are now missing most of your magazines (perhaps starting with five and ending with the one empty left in your gun). Even if you had extra ammo, without magazines you lose probably the largest of the largest advantages of a modern autoloader (excluding non box magazine-fed firearms).

**Even if home, say you are defending your castle from a large threat, and at some point you realize it becomes necessary to dodge out the back with only your pack and gear in order to survive the conflict. If you had a vest or belt on and had 2 or 5 or 10 extra magazines on you, and you dumped most of them on your carpet during the firefight, the next time you need your gun you might fight yourself running out of ammo a lot faster.

Magazine retention neither applies to LEOs nor typically to militarymen. For LEOs, gunfights rarely last long, and the risk of them not succeeding in holding their ground and quelling the enemy is extremely low (even if immediately outgunned, eventually reinforcements will arrive). For military, during a firefight they will either hold the ground for which they are fighting, in which case the rest of the forces will move up and they will have access to more crates of magazines (or to pick up their own), OR they will fall back to more secure lines, in which case they would then be able to resupply.

However, as individuals without a government backing and supplying us, there is a very real chance we won't be able to get new magazines before we might actually need them. So, I've been trying to come up with the best way to retain magazines.

The best I've come up with was a heavy magnet on my belt onto which I can slap the empties during a reload. Trying to fumble putting them back into the mag carrier is too inconsistent. Sometimes you find it quickly, but simetimes the material will collapse or the flap will fall back down onto the velcro, and your reload is ruined. About the same thing applies to putting them into pockets. I've also tried keeping them on two 100lb magnets (very strong) but, while they are easiest to access (no flaps, just slide them off), EVENTUALLY I think they will come off with a lot of running and jumping.

It takes an extra second or two, yes, but the only time I expect to have to do a mag change is when the situation is so bad the chance of me not being able to collect my mags after the fight is large enough to justify that small amount of time.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Lindenwood; 01-22-2010 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Title Clarification?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-22-2010, 02:00 PM   #2

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Would magnets hold the teflon or polymer magazines?

Old 01-22-2010, 05:41 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'd imagine not, unless the springs were really stiff. I wouldn't try it, however, with anything not steel.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:38 PM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
The best I've come up with was a heavy magnet on my belt onto which I can slap the empties during a reload. Trying to fumble putting them back into the mag carrier is too inconsistent. Sometimes you find it quickly, but simetimes the material will collapse or the flap will fall back down onto the velcro, and your reload is ruined. About the same thing applies to putting them into pockets. I've also tried keeping them on two 100lb magnets (very strong) but, while they are easiest to access (no flaps, just slide them off), EVENTUALLY I think they will come off with a lot of running and jumping.

It takes an extra second or two, yes, but the only time I expect to have to do a mag change is when the situation is so bad the chance of me not being able to collect my mags after the fight is large enough to justify that small amount of time.

What do you guys think?
First of all, slow down and make no wasted movements. Moving to hurried can be costly in the long run of your setup and aim. I think spending 2 extra seconds pinning back the flap of your mag pouch will eliminate your problem. You can have Velcro on the outside and back of your bag, as well as Velcro on the outside of your bag flap. Flip it back and it secures open for access. Mag separation from empty to loaded can be done with pockets or an internal medial barrier, separating the bag into 2 sections. Keep it close to you at all times, whether it be by shoulder strap or at your feet. And there is really never any excuse for not grabbing up your bag of empty and/or loaded mags, when ready to E & E.

Just my .02 cents.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 01-22-2010, 10:40 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you've got a vest or belt, this is probably much more efficient and comfortable than a bunch of magnets....

drop pouch

It stays folded up until you need it. Pop it open and just drop your empties into it, and worry about reloading them later. No need to worry about losing mags on the floor if you need to bug.

There are several sizes of pouches at 511, and I'm positive there are other manufacturers that make drop pouches.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:49 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

in the army i stuffed empty mags down my BDU front so i wouldnt lose em. there is a lot more time for mag switches if its a fire and move type thing as your buddies will cover your reload.

defensive and i am forced to shoot and run i can always buy more mags. there is no coin slot to buy a new life.

zombie invasion... well down the shirt and hope you got friends or get really good at mag retention.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:07 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by falseharmonix View Post
If you've got a vest or belt, this is probably much more efficient and comfortable than a bunch of magnets....

drop pouch

It stays folded up until you need it. Pop it open and just drop your empties into it, and worry about reloading them later. No need to worry about losing mags on the floor if you need to bug.

There are several sizes of pouches at 511, and I'm positive there are other manufacturers that make drop pouches.
Hmm. That is a really good price, and the reviews sound good. Will this fit on a regular belt? I don't have any web gear.

Thanks for the pointers!

Old 01-23-2010, 02:19 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
Magazine retention neither applies to LEOs nor typically to militarymen. ...
Logic is OK, but .mil do hang on to our mags (for the most part, not an absolute). Never know when you are going to be able to get more, or as is the case lately you dont want those PMAGs you bought yourself left on the ground.

Emptys go in a cargo pocket, partials go back in a mag pouch (after tac reload).

Last edited by hillbilly68; 01-23-2010 at 02:22 AM.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:17 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9158 Times on 3955 Posts
Likes Given: 1433

That's what empty Claymore bags are for!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:31 PM   #10

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Reload with retention, after practice, is barely slower.

Fresh magazine between thumb and pointer finger. Drop empty into palm, insert fresh mag. Stow empty in back pocket with weak hand.

Keeps a loaded gun at all times. Keeps the weapon in strong hand, ready to fire. Back pockets are much easier to utilize.

I have finished IDPA stages one handed in the time it takes to stow and return weak hand to the gun.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?