Electric garage door open this morning!

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Electric garage door open this morning!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 697 Times on 360 Posts

Default Electric garage door open this morning!

Woke up this morning to find one of my garage doors open, that side of garage is storage so there is no reason it would accidentally be left open. There was a fresh snow last night but no footprints on the driveway. My guess is either kids driving around with an opener and they got lucky or someone doing the same with worse motives. To be on the safe side I unplugged that door, I think I'll change the code when I get a chance. Scary thing is I didn't hear squat, slept right through it.... Grrrrrr......

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #2

Liked 72 Times on 46 Posts

Man that's scary. I honestly would leave it unplugged unless you really use that side. You never know these crook could have jist been casing your place. They could come back after the case your place and learn your schedule. Stay safe.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #3

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Timers are great I know I wont be out after 10 and I leave early so from 10:00- 5 , 7 days a week my timer for my garage door shuts off , If I am late or early I just have to walk in the door pull the cord

Old 01-29-2013, 03:46 PM   #4

Liked 3859 Times on 1864 Posts
Likes Given: 701

Lol... Take safety precautions but don't get too worked up, especially if nothing was taken. My ex girlfriend used to have a SUV that had a built in garage door opener, but the codes from the factory are so generic, we used to drive around town and open peoples garage doors as we drove by.

Yeah, I know..I was 20 years old at the time.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 01-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

Weird thing happened just this morning too. My wife was in the kitchen and our garage door opened about half way and stopped. She checked outside and no one was there. Spooky.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 697 Times on 360 Posts

I'm not too freaked, nothing taken and nobody entered the house. Mostly mad I didn't hear it and wake up to check. I don't have a remote for that side so I'm just going to change the code, odds are astronomical someone could get it twice unless they are a professional, then your screwed anyway.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #7

Liked 156 Times on 93 Posts

Breaking into garage door in 6 seconds (video 0:48sec). How easy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMz1tXBVT1s&sns=em

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved

Old 01-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #8

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Back in the late 1950's I built a transmitter for my amateur radio license and we had a neighbor that build a very expensive home that had electric garage door openers which would open when I was testing my transmitter. In those days the door opener transmitters weren't coded and ran in the area of CB radio frequencies. It would seem to me that it would be a good idea to lock pin the doors during the night and during the day while you're away a phone activating alarm set up.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreAltitude View Post
Breaking into garage door in 6 seconds (video 0:48sec). How easy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMz1tXBVT1s&sns=em
Interesting. Probably harder without windows, and my opener is not in the center so I can see a would be bad guy taking a while.

2010: "Of course I'll waive my rights. I don't want to miss my connecting flight."

Old 01-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #10
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7107 Times on 4278 Posts
Likes Given: 8625

Do you have a dog? But then again, my dogs don't bark if they hear a key in the door because they know you belong there. They only bark if something is unusual.