Dummy rounds that cycle?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

Dummy rounds that cycle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 6

Default Dummy rounds that cycle?

Sorry if this has been asked before. I tried the google machine already with not very good results.

Does anyone make dummy rounds that actually cycle with no noise? Particularly I am looking for 45 and 223.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

The only way i'm aware of to make a gun cycle without real ammo is to install a special block on the end of the muzzle and fire blanks through it. Definitely not quiet though.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:08 PM   #3

Liked 5017 Times on 2431 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by navysully View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before. I tried the google machine already with not very good results.

Does anyone make dummy rounds that actually cycle with no noise? Particularly I am looking for 45 and 223.

Thanks for the help in advance!
In a revolver, sure, but not in a gas powered or blowback operated semi auto.

Tack

Old 04-07-2012, 12:05 AM   #4
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 12824 Times on 5482 Posts
Likes Given: 2097

Conventional self loading firearms (automatics) operate either by tapping off gasses from a fired cartridge, recoil from the round firing, or having the fired case blown back from the gasses of a fired round.

In all of them, a cartridge must fire to power the weapon into reloading itself. Of course, bolt, pump, and lever action firearms are operated by human muscle power.

A dummy cartridge, or snap cap, does not fire, so produces none of the energy needed to cycle the firearm.

The only exceptions that would come to mind are rather exotic externally powered gatling guns or cannon, such as the Hughes 25mm Chain Gun in the Bradley Infantry Fighting Vehicle.