Dryfire Drill: Whats your Favorite? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Dryfire Drill: Whats your Favorite?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 10:49 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
For new shooters I will tell them to find a point like a spot on as wall and aim and fire (make sure your weapon is NOT loaded). Watch the sights as the trigger comes back and breaks. It's a good way to see just how much a pistol muzzle can move depending on how much or little finger is on the trigger. This can help especially newer shooters from suffering the frustration of not getting groups they think they should and blame the weapon. It helps more experienced shooters to notice any bad habits that may be creeping in on them without them really notice. It's the cheapest way I know to get to understand the trigger on a particular weapon.
Thanks for the advice.

I took a leap of faith and decided to get a Kel-Tec P11 for a first pistol. Seeing what everyone says about the DAO trigger pull makes me believe I will probably be doing plenty of dry-fire drills to be better able to handle the trigger properly.

As a interesting side note, I read on KTOG.org where several people have been advised by KT that dry-fire with snap caps will in fact help lighten and smooth out the trigger pull over time. The bonus? No stressful usage on a gun which is only advertised as being good for around 6K rounds anyways.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 11-15-2010, 07:54 AM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Should you always use snap caps for dry firing? I bought a Taurus PT 740 as a "carry anywhere" gun this weekend, and the guy that sold it to me said it was always bad to dry fire a gun. It surprised me, but he has been at that shop for years, so i wanted to at least look into what he was saying.
Taurus website says:
Can I dry fire my Taurus?
Yes, except for the .22 caliber pistols which includes models 94 and 941.
.22 caliber revolvers such as models 94 and 941 also should not be dry fired.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by theferg2000 View Post
Should you always use snap caps for dry firing? I bought a Taurus PT 740 as a "carry anywhere" gun this weekend, and the guy that sold it to me said it was always bad to dry fire a gun. It surprised me, but he has been at that shop for years, so i wanted to at least look into what he was saying.
Taurus website says:
Can I dry fire my Taurus?
Yes, except for the .22 caliber pistols which includes models 94 and 941.
.22 caliber revolvers such as models 94 and 941 also should not be dry fired.
Not all firearms need to be dry fired with snap caps. However, unless you know for sure about the particular firearm your talking about, you should always assume that you need to use snap caps.

Firearms are an investment and a tool with which to protect yourself. Do you really want to take a chance and possibly damage a tool with which you might entrust your life with tommorow?

(If Taurus says your good, then your good. Above is just a general guideline)

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 11-15-2010, 08:11 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
Not all firearms need to be dry fired with snap caps. However, unless you know for sure about the particular firearm your talking about, you should always assume that you need to use snap caps.

Firearms are an investment and a tool with which to protect yourself. Do you really want to take a chance and possibly damage a tool with which you might entrust your life with tommorow?

(If Taurus says your good, then your good. Above is just a general guideline)
This gun is going to play a very specific role as being a carry anywhere gun (my 1911 being my "want to carry" gun). But i find i end up using the carry anywhere gun more. So the role is important. What is the general opinion on using snap caps even though it say i can dry fire it. I guess the problem is not understanding the "why" of why it can be dry fired.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by theferg2000 View Post
This gun is going to play a very specific role as being a carry anywhere gun (my 1911 being my "want to carry" gun). But i find i end up using the carry anywhere gun more. So the role is important. What is the general opinion on using snap caps even though it say i can dry fire it. I guess the problem is not understanding the "why" of why it can be dry fired.
I'm afraid I cant answer this question with absolute certainty like i wish I could, but I do know this.

Dry firing a Kel-Tec is apparently linked to undo damage to the firing pin, if I remember correctly.

Perhaps someone else who's more knowing can weigh in on this...?

---Ron Paul

---Tom Braun