Dryfire Drill: Whats your Favorite?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Dryfire Drill: Whats your Favorite?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 01:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Default Dryfire Drill: Whats your Favorite?

Hello everyone,

Im starting to become more and more interested in these dryfire drills. I'v noticed the importance (perhaps after most everyone else has) of these drills.

With that said, there is a lot of different drills out there! What I want to know is what is your favorite drill? Im awair that selecting just one drill can cause some imbalance in your training, but I want to know what drill you look forward to doing the most. Please provide some information about the drill you selected.

Last but not least, what drills might you suggest to someone who is new to the handgun community?

Thanks everyone,
BigByrd47119

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-04-2010, 04:25 PM   #2

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Balance a dime on the end of the rifle barrel and dry fire.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:27 PM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

for a handgun the best starter drill would be to draw from the holster and bring pistol to target, fire, drop mag keeping pistol on target, and do a emergency or tactical mag reload.

I use a .45 bullet laser to see where my round will go when I dry fire to target. The idea of this drill is to became fast and proficient to target, as well as dropping the mag for reload to continue fire to target.

Practice this until it becomes just flawless natural muscle memory, even under live fire stress.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 11-04-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5678 Times on 2965 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazard2 View Post
what bio said. its the best beginer drill there is.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:10 PM   #5

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazard2 View Post

Do that with a handgun and you'll learn trigger control in a hurry. When you think you are getting good switch to a DA hangun. When I started shooting my coach used to make me do it a hundred times in a row. If the dime dropped I had to start at 1. I still do it a dozen times here and there to keep it fresh.

Of course, make sure there is NO LOADED AMMO ANYWHERE NEAR THE GUN if you are doing this at home.

Also put up a target on the wall and just dryfire while keeping your sight picture as steady as possible. Practice slowly to become proficient before speed increases.

ANY drill you can do with a loaded gun is a good dry fire drill. Also If I suddenly develop a case of the yips at the range I acually unload the gun and dry fire my handgun for a few minutes THEN go back to shooting. Good way to NOT learn bad habits.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:48 PM   #6

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
Do that with a handgun and you'll learn trigger control in a hurry. When you think you are getting good switch to a DA hangun. When I started shooting my coach used to make me do it a hundred times in a row. If the dime dropped I had to start at 1. I still do it a dozen times here and there to keep it fresh.

Of course, make sure there is NO LOADED AMMO ANYWHERE NEAR THE GUN if you are doing this at home.

Also put up a target on the wall and just dryfire while keeping your sight picture as steady as possible. Practice slowly to become proficient before speed increases.

ANY drill you can do with a loaded gun is a good dry fire drill. Also If I suddenly develop a case of the yips at the range I acually unload the gun and dry fire my handgun for a few minutes THEN go back to shooting. Good way to NOT learn bad habits.
That sounds rediculously hard but if you guys think it helps then Im all for it!

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 11-06-2010, 11:14 PM   #7

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
That sounds rediculously hard but if you guys think it helps then Im all for it!

Anyone else have any other suggestions?
Just so we are clear you balance the coin on the flat of the front sight not the actual barrel. It's hard but nothing will teach you a smooth trigger pull faster.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:27 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I carry revolvers, so snap/practice caps are a necessity.

Load up a cylinder full of caps, practice acquiring any little target around the room (door knobs, picture frames, whatever) and dry-fire while keeping the front sight post steady on the target. Throughout this I try to keep both eyes open and then switch to dominant eye to check POA.

After a good warm up, start reloading with your speed-loaders or strips and re-acquiring.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:01 AM   #9

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default Dry fire drills

WE used the dime on a barrel (actually we set it on the front sight) in the Army Pistol team. I was a member of that team for 18 yrs. But understand that this was only used in three gun NRA style shooting. Where you stood with your right side to the target and shot one handed. Slow fire, Timed fire, and Rapid fire. In the police academy we never used any dry fire as such. Other than having our weapons checked and double checked before practicing our draw from the holster. We had timers that we used to judge our progress at the range and in that case we used blank ammo and the bang from the round going off shut down the clock. Our hand was laid on a timer button and when it lifted the time began. If I remember my time was an average of .39 hundreds of a second from draw to fire. And I might add this was from a duty holster not a western style quick draw holster.
Add a coat on a cold day and you would double that time and maybe not be fast enough.
Sarge

Old 11-12-2010, 03:13 AM   #10

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

For new shooters I will tell them to find a point like a spot on as wall and aim and fire (make sure your weapon is NOT loaded). Watch the sights as the trigger comes back and breaks. It's a good way to see just how much a pistol muzzle can move depending on how much or little finger is on the trigger. This can help especially newer shooters from suffering the frustration of not getting groups they think they should and blame the weapon. It helps more experienced shooters to notice any bad habits that may be creeping in on them without them really notice. It's the cheapest way I know to get to understand the trigger on a particular weapon.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson