Dry Fire Tips
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Dry Fire Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 03:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Dry Fire Tips

Hi Everyone! I am a new gun owner and new to this site as well.

I have a 9mm SA Pistol. I wanted to ask about tips about proper / safe Dry Firing procedures.

Thanks in advance!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3101 Times on 1781 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Check that the pistol is unloaded.
Check again that the pistol is unloaded.
Did that?
Now, check again that the pistol is unloaded.

Now get the snap caps you bought. Load it (use the magazine, don't drop one in the chute and let the slide go forward. Feed from the magazine.)

Sit in your favorite chair.
Remember the four steps of
Sight alignment,
Breath control,
Squeeze the trigger,
And follow-through

(a good aiming point is the light switch across the room)

Cock the hammer and fire.

You did make sure the real ammunition is stored away from where you are doing this, right?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Snap caps? What are them? Talking like blanks?

What can you protect, if your only weapon is your emotions?

Old 06-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #4

Liked 205 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 109

These are plastic dummie rounds that you can use for "dry firing" aka "snapping in."

They prevent injury to your firing pin, and also allow you to become familiar with the mechanism of the weapon.

Since you are unlikely every to be shooting from a chair, I would suggest practicing while standing in front of a mirror. Aim for the guy's chest in the mirror. See if the handgun (pistol or revolver) moves when you squeeze the trigger. It should not.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

This......

forumrunner_20120604_081951.jpg  

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #6

Thanks for all the response! I got my snap caps and i have started dry-firing, safely!!!

Old 06-09-2012, 06:52 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

mandala0915: suggest you become familiar with the "tap-rack-access" drill. The drill is an emergency drill used if your pistol misfires.
1st: Tap or hit the mag sternly, this ensures the mag is seated correctly
2nd: Rack the slide manually, this ejects the improperly seated, stove piped, double feed or non-functional round. (several racks are sometimes needed)
3rd: access threat and fire if applicable

After becoming familiar with the drill... have a friend load the mag with both dummy and live rounds without you knowing the order. (always keep your firearm facing downrange)

This is a great way to discover anticipation in your shot as it will become very apparent when you chamber a dummy round, pull the trigger in anticipation of a live round.

Firearms enthusiasts have long searched for a way to purchase guns and gun accessories affordably. Many people are now discovering that a gun auction, often referred to as penny gun auctions can multiply their purchasing power safely, quickly and affordably. Whether you’re in the market for a Tauras Judge, Ruger LCP, scope or other firearms accessories and tactical equipment you can now obtain these items from firearms penny auctions. The firearms auction arena is allowing the middleclass, blue collared man to purchase firearms and firearms add-ons at a fraction of the retail cost.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Old 06-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I am by no means an expert on shooting i am self taught. I shoot a lot and watch training videos and do the dry fire thing using snap caps. I did pick up one thing from a Marine Corps video yesterday. I have always used the pad of my trigger finger. I noticed in the video they were using the joint on their trigger finger so i tried it what a difference it made. Trigger control was much easier and it lightened the trigger pull a lot. In fact i tried it on my CZ 52 which has the worst trigger of any gun i own and i found it made the trigger very manageable. I don't know if you already do this or not but it helped me a lot.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:22 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 706

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Check that the pistol is unloaded.
Check again that the pistol is unloaded.
Did that?
Now, check again that the pistol is unloaded.

Now get the snap caps you bought. Load it (use the magazine, don't drop one in the chute and let the slide go forward. Feed from the magazine.)

Sit in your favorite chair.
Remember the four steps of
Sight alignment,
Breath control,
Squeeze the trigger,
And follow-through

(a good aiming point is the light switch across the room)

Cock the hammer and fire.

You did make sure the real ammunition is stored away from where you are doing this, right?
+1 but i think you shouldnt sit... it's hard to learn good STANCE from sitting. but other wise good
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 283 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Trigger control is an essential skill. A good trigger helps but the shooter still has to do his part by squeezing the trigger w/o disturbing the weapon platform. This is easiest w the tip of the finger - no more than a fingernail's portion of the pad.

If you use too much or too little finger you will push/pull or move the platform L/R from line of sight. We've all seen the trigger charts. These are just guidelines - not set in stone.

Dry firing will help you achieve a clean release or straight backward trigger pull. Lasers are also excellent for training as well.

There's a phrase I learned in my youth which is "within the performance limits of the ammunition." (for accuracy) Only a few of my guns are even capable of this type of performance but at least when the groups open up, I know what the culprit is - Me...