Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Dry fire or snap caps? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/dry-fire-snap-caps-93666/)

HarleyPat 07-10-2013 02:30 AM

Dry fire or snap caps?

I use snap caps to practice unless I'm sure dry fire is ok for the weapon I'm working with. Not familiar with 1911 s as I just purchased my first. Is dry fire with a 1911 ok or should I load it up with snaps?

DrumJunkie 07-10-2013 02:32 AM

More and more makers are saying dry fire is OK. But with the price of snap caps being what they are I just can't see how someone would not want to use them. It's the cheapest insurance you can have for the health of your guns.

zaitsev44 07-10-2013 02:39 AM

I was about to get some 7.62x39 snap caps at Bass Pro Shops but I wasn't 100% sure what they do. It was $10 for 2 of them. I know it makes it safe to dry fire and checking the function, but is that all?

vincent 07-10-2013 02:45 AM

I just go with what the manual says...

When in doubt, snap cap it...

HarleyPat 07-10-2013 05:52 AM

Thanks guys ill pick up some 45 caps tomorrow at Cabelas.

OldManMontgomery 07-24-2013 07:51 PM

Excluding rim fire firearms, dry fire will not harm a decent built firearm. (I did once break a firing pin on a S&W M13 revolver, but only after shooting it often for four or five years and dry firing it even more.)

However, snap caps or dummy rounds - preferable the odd colored type which cannot be confused with home made dummies - are absolutely great for teaching beginners how to load, unload a firearm and functioning the firearm. I suppose I'm drifting. Sorry.

mountainman13 07-24-2013 07:55 PM

Dry firing is a bad idea.
It does increase wear on the parts of the gun.
Much like throwing a punch at nothing, it takes much more work to stop the punch than it does to hit something with it.
Will it break the gun? Unlikely. But snap caps tend to be cheaper than firing pins and springs especially if a trip to the gunsmith is involved.

sputnik1988 07-24-2013 07:59 PM

I personally dont see the benefit of using snap caps on a centerfire. I've always been told that it cuts down on firing pin wear, but I have to ask... How can the firing pin hitting nothing wear it out?

Overkill0084 07-24-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik1988 (Post 1314014)
I personally don't see the benefit of using snap caps on a centerfire. I've always been told that it cuts down on firing pin wear, but I have to ask... How can the firing pin hitting nothing wear it out?

Some guns tolerate dry firing better than others. XD pistols have a roll pin that will eventually break due to dry firing. There is an easy after market upgrade pin, or you can use snap caps. I have been told and read that dry firing Old Colt revolvers isn't a great idea as the firing pins are somewhat brittle & a PITA to replace. Thus, no dry firing my Python. Fast moving steel pieces bottoming out against other steel pieces. While perhaps not "harmful," still probably isn't ideal. The fact that snap caps may not be an absolute requirement, does not preclude them being a good idea.

hiwall 07-24-2013 11:44 PM

Something has to stop the firing pin. That something will eventually get battered by dry fire. When the firing pin stops (when dry fired) the small tip of the pin gets very stressed(it wants to keep traveling). I have replaced many firing pins because the tip separated from the rest of the pin. You may never have a problem even if you dry fire every day. Or you may break a tip off tomorrow.