Doubts about weapon ownership
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Doubts about weapon ownership

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 01:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Doubts about weapon ownership

Ok, today the third person of all the people I know has told me I'm not suitable for owning a gun. The arguments always resolves aroun "I'm too crazy to own a gun"; or "I'm not reay to own one". Or simply I don't have to own a gun". The first time it surprised me a bit, the second one sound like an annoying coincidence, and the last one started to bother me.

I simply would like to hear from real gun owners what's necessay to own a gun and stuff. Not necessarily someone telling me that I don't hve a problem for owning a gun. But exactly whats the deal with owning a gun.

Seriously, I was planning to start with the psychological test before doing anything. If the test says I shouldn't have one, well, that's the end of the disscussion. Certainly I'm too pansy to resort to the black market; Neither I will play smart breaking the laws to have one.

But anyways, can someone tell me about all the stuff regarding owning a gun?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-05-2011, 01:38 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2801 Times on 1619 Posts
Likes Given: 1218

A firearm is a tool. Useful for some things, deadly for other things.

The user / owner has to be able to demonstrate sound judgement (even in decisions not involving firearms).

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

People Like This 
Old 07-05-2011, 01:44 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've been told before as well that people don't think I'm should own a firearm, but I strongly disagree and a lot of those who truely know me agree. What comes with owning a firearm is responsibility, respect, knowledge, and ect. What's necessary for me to own a firearm is for me having sanity, I have a lot of knowledge about firearms, I'm very careful cautious and ect when handling firearms, I respect every firearm, I treat it if it were loaded at all times, I never point it at anything or anyone I don't intend on shooting, and ect.

Mainly what comes with a firearm is you have to respect it, become knowledgeable about them, and most importantly be very safe around them.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 07-05-2011, 03:41 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5512 Times on 2879 Posts
Likes Given: 358

first off go take a gun safety course. if you have never been committed to a mental facility been arrested beat up a girlfriend or wife arent a substance abuse type alcohol/drugs or prone to committing crimes no reason you cant own one. you need to be 18 for rifles 21 for pistols. of course this info pertains to the USA only. since you didnt include your country of origin requirements may be different.

never heard of a mental test being required...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 07-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8728 Times on 3776 Posts
Likes Given: 1341

Do not know you, never met you, not able to form a judgement of you. I HAVE known people that should not be allowed around pointy sticks. In VERY general terms- if a person cannot- or does not- conduct themselves as a responsible grownup, they should leave dangerous things alone.

Like cars, lawnmowers, screwdrivers, frying pans, electrical appliances, and guns.

While I do not attempt to be be rude or hurtful to folks on the internet, I DO tend to be honest. So, having said that, I will ask- what is there in your behavior that would cause folks that DO know you to make that assessment? Are you sure you want to post that here, and that you want to hear what the folks on this forum may have to say?

Please give that some thought before responding.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

People Like This 
Old 07-06-2011, 12:43 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

c3shooter is being very tactful. I appreciate that. However, in my opinion, if you have to ask those questions in the first place, then you should seriously consider the possibility that you are not ready for the incredible responsibility of owning, much less carrying, a firearm.
Having said that, I put exactly zero faith in other people's assessment of anyone. Particularly me. You have to decide if you are personally responsible enough for a gun.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:01 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Actually, I though c3 summed it up well. Sure it bothers you, IMO, makes you feel guilty about the idea of owning one. But in the end, as c3 said it shoul be something I should keep in mind (for myself) in the final decision.

Anyways, I'll try the test. Then, if getting green lights, I go for the manipulation training.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:34 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default Test?

What test are you referring to? I've taken pre-hire and in service psychological testing for law enforcement agencies before, but never one to own a firearm. Is this test a requirement in your state/country?

Old 07-06-2011, 04:00 PM   #9

Liked 2453 Times on 1397 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakarovJAC View Post
Actually, I though c3 summed it up well. Sure it bothers you, IMO, makes you feel guilty about the idea of owning one. But in the end, as c3 said it shoul be something I should keep in mind (for myself) in the final decision.

Anyways, I'll try the test. Then, if getting green lights, I go for the manipulation training.
WTF is "manipulation training"?

Know your laws where you live FIRST.

Get a thorough NRA GUN SAFETY TRAINING COURSE second. Study and
practice gun safety at all times.

The RKBA is guaranteed in the Bill of Rights. It is our duty as citizens to

uphold the Constitution, and exercise our 2nd Amendment rights.

Decide for yourself after steps one and two whether you are

worthy, and brave enough to uphold our nation's Constitution,

and be a responsible gun owner.

And the sheeple be damned. Their opinion is poo...

Old 07-06-2011, 05:02 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8728 Times on 3776 Posts
Likes Given: 1341

Therewolf- you are making an assumption that the original poster is IN the US.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

People Like This