Don't Bring A Gun To A Knife Fight - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

Don't Bring A Gun To A Knife Fight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2010, 08:01 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoe View Post
you entirely misunderstood my post i was agreeing with the tueller drill. I was saying that it was bullcrap that only now people believe it and that before people said i needed to stop playing video games and that edged weapons have no more use.
OHHH...well.....Never mind!

Don't Bring A Gun To A Knife Fight - Training & Safety

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 11-12-2010, 08:44 PM   #22

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
even today decades later i dont use a mens room without an empty locking stall. just part of the routine now.
First, thank you for your service to our country, Jon. Do you just do a quick, Are-all-the-stalls-empty? sort of check before gettin' down to your own business?

That's probably something I should consider.

On the main topic, I have no CQ H-to-H experience nor training. I'm not even particularly fast at drawing and engaging a target. It does seem folly, after reading this article, to assume that carrying a gun and having situational awareness is enough.

What particular training would be a good first start? One can never have too much training, but what would at least get my feet wet for CQ self-defense?

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 11-12-2010, 10:23 PM   #23
Si Vis Pacem,Para Bellum
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 478 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 1486

i just wear my suit of chainmail every where i go wont stop a bullet but makes me feel pretty cool

Old 11-15-2010, 03:15 AM   #24

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I am a somewhat paranoid person when it comes to other people. I always sit in resturaunts to where my back is to a wall and i can see the door. I don't let anyone get within arms reach of me unless i know them. If i go to a public restroom, which i avoid at all costs anyway, i will wait until it is empty and always use a stall. I carry a knife and a pistol and when i have my girlfriend with me she walks on my left side (my gun is on my right side). I carry a gun and a blade readily available. I have enough training to prevent a knife attack...in theory anyway, you can never be certain of such things. But the last thing i would go for if someone was charging me from a close distance is my gun. I do not want a firearm to come into play in a hand to hand situation. If they are stronger then me and i dont get a shot off that firearm could easily be used against me.

Stop the initional attack, Gain distance, draw firearm. The one time i had someone pull a knife on me i stepped back and pulled my knife and that effectually ended the contfrontation. Granted at the time i was carrying a knife that was largely illegal and was about 3 of the knife the other guy had...but still.

If someone pulls a gun on you and you are suprised the best course of action is to comply until you can safely draw your firearm... As JonM said, conversation is a great distraction.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:32 AM   #25

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

"You call that a knife? Naw. Now THIS is a knife." Crocodile Dundee.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face