Don't Bring A Gun To A Knife Fight - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Don't Bring A Gun To A Knife Fight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2010, 03:59 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

In any situation the person who gets the jump will most likely succeed. Sure if someone with a knife acts first and catches you off guard, they do a lot of damage or even kill you.
Same thing with a gun, the one who draws first usually shoots first. It's all about timing and surprise. One has to be ready for anything. Like I said earlier, if you expect trouble ahead or if the situation just doesn't look right, get ready and be prepared. If this means unholstering your gun then by all means do so ! You basically have to have four eyes and watch your back constantly. With most city folks this comes naturally through the years. Those in the country may be a bit more relaxed. This is just myth though because I know a good bit of country folks who are as street smart as any Brooklynite !
It comes down to always being aware of your surroundings.

No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .

Old 10-31-2010, 06:44 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I remember the 21' rule from my last 2 concealed carry classes,
I find it stupid to ignore evidence that trained gun fighters compile

Old 10-31-2010, 06:56 PM   #13

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdeserthills View Post
I remember the 21' rule from my last 2 concealed carry classes,
I find it stupid to ignore evidence that trained gun fighters compile
Succinct, and to the point.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 11-01-2010, 01:20 AM   #14

Default Minimum

Just a reminder--the 21' distance is the minimum for someone who can draw and shoot quickly. Many of us might consider 25'-30'

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason

Old 11-01-2010, 01:55 AM   #15

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I need 50 yards.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:04 AM   #16

Default Consider this

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnealg View Post
Just a reminder--the 21' distance is the minimum for someone who can draw and shoot quickly. Many of us might consider 25'-30'
When I was in college a good friend of mine was sliced open, we never knew who did it, guts out and all, surely by a box knife, lots of kids carried box knives for architecture class, or else. A group of kids just run by and it was done. A knife can be concealed in your hand, a gun cannot.

There is always the X factor, it doesn't matte how much you quantify data, in this case we didn't see any" reasonably" threat, plus we didn't have any guns.

A knife carrier will do things distinctly different, first of all a knife is a stealth weapon, the guy never knew what hit him, for the most part the threat is never there.

So what is the solution IMO? Keep your eyes open, you may think you know anything, if you have a sinking feeling, that might be it, train, be quick, be smart. when facing a knife attack you'll still have the chance to fire back, as long as you know what is happening.

Live long, gato

Visit our website
FOLLOW US ON YOUTUBE

It works, only if you use it!
Look for me in the vendor display

Last edited by gatopardo; 11-01-2010 at 02:08 AM.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:57 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5922 Times on 3092 Posts
Likes Given: 417

thats why when i ccw i keep my gun in a holster small of the back. looks like im going for a wallet... conversation is often your best delay tactic to make that 21 inches into 21 virtual feet. muggers and robbers seldom are truly prepaired to kill or they would have just stuck you. what they want is easy money with little effort. if you present them with what they expect till the last instant it will give you a chance.

had a guy try to mug me in the honolulu mall, when i was in the army, in the men's bathroom. i carried a 6 inch cold steel tanto at my back under my shirt. i pulled that instead of the wallet and informed the slime that they gonna have to call 2 ambulances if he chose to press. he left. anyway conversation by my fake compliance allowed me a chance to arm myself evening the odds. if he really wanted to hurt me he woulda just stabbed me and took what he wanted without talking. under that circumstance awareness is all you can do. even today decades later i dont use a mens room without an empty locking stall. just part of the routine now.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #18
Jay

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts

I've taught the Tueller Drill in my classes for years. Just as important, I prefer to teach folks how to avoid having to excersize the Tueller Drill at all. In my simple mind, avoiding a confrontation in the first place, is much preferred over having to shoot your way out of said confrontation.

NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 11-05-2010, 01:19 PM   #19

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
At the arm's length distances where real knife attacks happen, having a gun does not put you in a position of superiority. In fact, going directly for your gun can be an invitation for him to stab the hell out of you. Initially, at least, close range knife attacks are a hand to hand problem. Really, the saying should be, "don't bring a gun to a knife fight."
Outstanding advice! Even with your gun out on a BG if he's too close to you things can go south in a hurry for you. If he has a knife even if you shoot him it might just be the last thing you do. DISTANCE is your friend.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Obviously spoken by two people who have never been in a life threatening confrontation with a determined person armed with a bladed weapon.

Say goodnight Dick....
you entirely misunderstood my post i was agreeing with the tueller drill. I was saying that it was bullcrap that only now people believe it and that before people said i needed to stop playing video games and that edged weapons have no more use.

Bushrat for life