Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Dominant Eye Issues (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/dominant-eye-issues-25894/)

Jynx 04-10-2010 10:32 PM

Dominant Eye Issues

So, I'm having a little problem here...

When I was about 15, I got a contact essentially glued to my right eyeball and basically had to get it surgically removed. I ended up with a nasty infection that has really wreaked havoc on my right eye. Ever since then, I have never been comfortable doing anything with my right eye as my lead eye. I assumed that my left eye had taken over and become my dominant eye.

Well, apparently it hasn't. I'm a nurse, and had one of the Docs I work with (who is also an avid shooter) do a simple test. I'm still right eye dominant... I've just been fooling myself.

So, I've been forcing myself to rewire my eyes. I went out yesterday with the new Vaquero and Sig with an eye patch over my left eye. I'm not entirely comfortable with putting unfamiliar firearms in my hands with a damn patch over my eye, so I mainly stuck with the Taurus .357 (it's what I know the best). I saw a difference in my accuracy immediately.

So, I'm basically reteaching myself how to shoot the way I should be. The unlearning is probably the hardest part. I have to force myself to stick with the right eye, and it feels highly unnatural. But I don't want to be yelling "Yarrrr!" every time I go out to pop off a few rounds, so... Anyone have any tips?

skullcrusher 04-11-2010 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jynx (Post 267827)
So, I'm having a little problem here...

When I was about 15, I got a contact essentially glued to my right eyeball and basically had to get it surgically removed. I ended up with a nasty infection that has really wreaked havoc on my right eye. Ever since then, I have never been comfortable doing anything with my right eye as my lead eye. I assumed that my left eye had taken over and become my dominant eye.

Well, apparently it hasn't. I'm a nurse, and had one of the Docs I work with (who is also an avid shooter) do a simple test. I'm still right eye dominant... I've just been fooling myself.

So, I've been forcing myself to rewire my eyes. I went out yesterday with the new Vaquero and Sig with an eye patch over my left eye. I'm not entirely comfortable with putting unfamiliar firearms in my hands with a damn patch over my eye, so I mainly stuck with the Taurus .357 (it's what I know the best). I saw a difference in my accuracy immediately.

So, I'm basically reteaching myself how to shoot the way I should be. The unlearning is probably the hardest part. I have to force myself to stick with the right eye, and it feels highly unnatural. But I don't want to be yelling "Yarrrr!" every time I go out to pop off a few rounds, so... Anyone have any tips?

I am majorly right eye dominant (genetics-thanks mom) and left-handed. Cross dominance is great for baseball, but not the best for shooting. I've had to adjust my stance and sight picture because of that. I've always shot rifle and shottys right handed, but when I got into pistols that is another story.

I suggest exercising your weak eye. Wear the patch on your dominant eye while around the house, surfing the web and watching tv/movies. Just giving your off eye a bit of a workout once in a while can make a world of difference. Just a suggestion. I know others have the same issues, and they may have better advice. :)

Jynx 04-11-2010 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullcrusher (Post 267860)
I am majorly right eye dominant (genetics-thanks mom) and left-handed. Cross dominance is great for baseball, but not the best for shooting. I've had to adjust my stance and sight picture because of that. I've always shot rifle and shottys right handed, but when I got into pistols that is another story.

I suggest exercising your weak eye. Wear the patch on your dominant eye while around the house, surfing the web and watching tv/movies. Just giving your off eye a bit of a workout once in a while can make a world of difference. Just a suggestion. I know others have the same issues, and they may have better advice. :)

Damn. Looks like the pirate jokes are going to fly no matter what. Better suck it up.

Thanks for the advice though. Was looking for something I could do for those times that I don't have a firearm in my hands. I never even thought that building up some strength in the right eye could include doing stuff around the house. I'll give it a shot :)