Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Dog Attack Scenario

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 08:23 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 140
Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender View Post
I know a Pit from a poodle. Pits are involved in more vicious attacks on humans every year than any other breed.

Not aggressive with humans?! Like the kid in a city near me who was killed by his dad's Pits in his own back yard?! The mailman jumped the fence to try and help him, but was too late.

Pit owners are in serious denial.
You're on crack. Pits aren't even on the top 10 list of most attacks.
__________________
Duck is offline  
 
Old 02-20-2008, 07:39 AM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 272
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck View Post
You're on crack. Pits aren't even on the top 10 list of most attacks.
As is virtually always the case, all the excuse-makers for Pits have is personal attacks and lies. They present no data, just personal attacks and lies.

According to the Humane Society and the Centers for Disease Control, between 1979 and 1996, Pit Bulls killed 60 people in the U.S.

That places them NUMBER ONE on the KILLER list, by better than a two to one margin.

Pit apologists remain in denial, but the HSUS and CDC document the hard facts on "America's Most Dangerous Dog":

ftp://ftp.cdc.gov/pub/Publications/mmwr/wk/mm4621.pdf
__________________
Defender is offline  
 
Old 02-21-2008, 12:23 AM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jeepcreep927's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Newport,Vermont
Posts: 1,110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck View Post
It's crazy how every potential "dangerous dog" story so far has been about pits. Most of you probably wouldn't know a pit from a poodle. I've been around what most of you would call pits (everything from American Bulldogs, real Pits, Dogos, Bull Terriers, and other short-haired muscular dogs) for most of my life and have never been around one that I had to worry about. It's just not in their nature to be human aggressive. It's not in their nature to be aggressive at all, it's what people train them to do.

I've got a Pit/ Boxer mix and a Bull Terrier now, both of which are about as gentle as can be. Our cats are meaner than our dogs. The cats beat the hell out of the Bull Terrier and he just flops over on his side and let's them have at it.

I appreciate your willingness to be an insulting ass with such haste. I do know a pit from poodle, and regardless of your touchy feely experiences with pitbulls, BOTH that I have seen shot were not "aggressive", they were without a doubt, going to bite me or my coworkers. They were trained to be nasty bastards on purpose. And not to legitamately protect a responsible owner. That doesn't matter to me though. I don't care if it's a pit bull or a friggin lab that's gone mental, those are just the circumstances. Thanks for your time.
__________________
jeepcreep927 is offline  
 
Old 02-21-2008, 01:28 AM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 272
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
I appreciate your willingness to be an insulting ass with such haste. I do know a pit from poodle, and regardless of your touchy feely experiences with pitbulls, BOTH that I have seen shot were not "aggressive", they were without a doubt, going to bite me or my coworkers. They were trained to be nasty bastards on purpose. And not to legitamately protect a responsible owner. That doesn't matter to me though. I don't care if it's a pit bull or a friggin lab that's gone mental, those are just the circumstances. Thanks for your time.


To the considerable number of people who've been attacked, injured, maimed and even killed by Pits, it's irrelevant whether they're vicious by nature or by training.

The hard fact remains that they are a particularly dangerous breed due to their physical characteristics and mentality. They're also one of only a few breeds which will attack and maul a member of the family that owns them, with virtually no provocation.
__________________
Defender is offline  
 
Old 02-21-2008, 01:41 AM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 140
Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Default

I just fail to see how someone can take the "Guns don't kill people, people do." mindset and then turn around and blame a dog that is trained (by a person) to be aggressive for being aggressive.

Defender: You never said most kills, you said attacks. It makes sense that if a pit does attack, it will probably be worse than a chihuahua attack. However if you look at the number of attacks, pits are not very high on the list.

60 people in 17 years, are you kidding me? That averages 3.5 people per year. Bees kill more people than that.

Jeepcreep: My statement stands. I see it all the time. When I take my dogs on a walk, people are adamant that they are both pits. The one is part pit, but looks nothing like one. Maybe it was a pit that acted aggressively towards you. That point is really irrelevant if the owners trained the dogs to be aggressive. The dogs were not the problem, the people were. Would it have made you feel any better if it was a Dogo or a St. Bernard? As for me being an insulting ass, I'm good at it and I enjoy it.

__________________
Duck is offline  
 
Old 02-21-2008, 02:16 AM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 272
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck View Post
I just fail to see how someone can take the "Guns don't kill people, people do." mindset and then turn around and blame a dog that is trained (by a person) to be aggressive for being aggressive.
That's because you fail to see that a gun is an inanimate man-made object, whereas a Pit Bull is a biological life form with a brain and emotions, that can attack and seriously injure people by its own choice and under its own power.

Funny, but I've never seen a gun jump up and attack anybody of its own accord. Whereas Pits have done it thousands of times.

Quote:
Defender: You never said most kills, you said attacks. It makes sense that if a pit does attack, it will probably be worse than a chihuahua attack. However if you look at the number of attacks, pits are not very high on the list.
More of your utter irrelevancies. On a PER CAPITA basis, Pits are the absolute WORST as far as attacks that maim or kill. So I'm not playing your illogical game of semantics.

You also conveniently failed to mention the enormous number of vicious Pit attacks that seriously injure and maim, which are MANY times more prevalent than the number of deaths attributed to Pits.

If one looks at the total number of Pit attacks in the USA on a per capita basis, both deadly and non-deadly, you will know why Pits have the well-earned title of "America's most dangerous dog".

Quote:
60 people in 17 years, are you kidding me? That averages 3.5 people per year. Bees kill more people than that.
You conveniently neglected to mention the enormous number of serious injuries and maimings perpetrated by Pits during the same period. I personally know of a woman who had much of her calf ripped off by a Pit, and had to endure numerous reconstructive surgeries. Not to mention that her leg has never been the same since.

So spare me your irrelevant factoids.

Quote:
Jeepcreep: My statement stands. I see it all the time. When I take my dogs on a walk, people are adamant that they are both pits. The one is part pit, but looks nothing like one. Maybe it was a pit that acted aggressively towards you. That point is really irrelevant if the owners trained the dogs to be aggressive. The dogs were not the problem, the people were. Would it have made you feel any better if it was a Dogo or a St. Bernard? As for me being an insulting ass, I'm good at it and I enjoy it.
Yet more of your sheer illogic.

You sound like a liberal who tries to blame society and parents every time a kid goes bad and engages in violent activity.

It really doesn't matter if a kid or a Pit Bull behave violently because of being badly raised or not. The fact of the matter is that society needs to be protected from them, regardless of the reason for their violent behavior.

Pits are also notoriously bad at distinguishing friend from foe. They often attack humans who pose no threat to them, even people who are well known to them and/or their masters.
__________________
Defender is offline  
 
Old 02-21-2008, 02:34 AM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 272
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
In the real world not everyone wanders about with a 12 gauge under their raincoat fearing constant attack from packs of wild hounds (Africa maybe). I understand the concerns in some quarters about the genuine fear of criminal attack, and the perceived need to arm oneself with a firearm, and thats fine. But would need to compremise, lugging a big multi-shot semi-automatic about with spare magazines is definately a pain day in day out, not too mention the stress to my tailor.
The question posed by the original poster was what weapon would be your choice if you or somebody else were attacked by a vicious dog.

So based on the premise that one would have their preferred weapon in the event of an attack, I wisely and correctly chose the 12 gauge shotgun.
__________________
Defender is offline  
 
Old 02-21-2008, 12:29 PM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 441
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender View Post
The question posed by the original poster was what weapon would be your choice if you or somebody else were attacked by a vicious dog.

So based on the premise that one would have their preferred weapon in the event of an attack, I wisely and correctly chose the 12 gauge shotgun.
Well if you are being serious the whole matter depends on the particular circumstances wouldn't you think? I mean if you are in your back yard with access to a 12 gauge then may be, but usually these incidents occure in the public domain, and my comments and attempted humour which apparantly was lost on you, still remain valid, if you haven't got the 12 gauge in the truck then it isn't going to happen.

I personally would consider using a 12 gauge shotgun when a second party is in the middle of a dogfight neither wise, or the correct course of action. If I had a pistol available and you are a good, safe shot. I would likely deal with it at way. If no pistol then Pepper spray.
__________________
Boris is offline  
 
Old 02-21-2008, 03:58 PM   #29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 140
Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender View Post
That's because you fail to see that a gun is an inanimate man-made object, whereas a Pit Bull is a biological life form with a brain and emotions, that can attack and seriously injure people by its own choice and under its own power.
I think you're giving the dog way too much credit. They do what they are trained to do. There are cases where a dog is literally insane and aggressive, but those are rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender View Post
More of your utter irrelevancies. On a PER CAPITA basis, Pits are the absolute WORST as far as attacks that maim or kill. So I'm not playing your illogical game of semantics.
It's not irrelevant. They don't attack very often, it's just when they do it is usually worse than with other dogs. My wife worked at a pet grooming place years ago. She said she never worried when someone brought in a bull breed dog, but knew she was going to get bit when they brought in others (especially labs and toy dogs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender View Post
You also conveniently failed to mention the enormous number of vicious Pit attacks that seriously injure and maim, which are MANY times more prevalent than the number of deaths attributed to Pits.
I very openly said that an attack from a pit is going to be worse than a chihuahua. Sorry, didn't fail to mention anything. I will never say that a pit cannot be aggressive or dangerous. They can, just like any other dog. The problem isn't with the dog, it's with the owner. The same people that have aggressive pits would have aggressive cocker spaniels if it made them feel like more of a man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender View Post
If one looks at the total number of Pit attacks in the USA on a per capita basis, both deadly and non-deadly, you will know why Pits have the well-earned title of "America's most dangerous dog".
See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender View Post
You conveniently neglected to mention the enormous number of serious injuries and maimings perpetrated by Pits during the same period. I personally know of a woman who had much of her calf ripped off by a Pit, and had to endure numerous reconstructive surgeries. Not to mention that her leg has never been the same since.

So spare me your irrelevant factoids.
Irrelevant factoids? I know of a child that pretty much had his face ripped off by a dalmatian. I don't know the family, but they are friends of my family. So, what's your point? I've been bitten before, but not by a pit.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender View Post
Yet more of your sheer illogic.

You sound like a liberal who tries to blame society and parents every time a kid goes bad and engages in violent activity.

It really doesn't matter if a kid or a Pit Bull behave violently because of being badly raised or not. The fact of the matter is that society needs to be protected from them, regardless of the reason for their violent behavior.

Pits are also notoriously bad at distinguishing friend from foe. They often attack humans who pose no threat to them, even people who are well known to them and/or their masters.
Sheer illogic? You're kidding right? And yes, I do blame the parents for the most part when a kid screws up. It's a kid. Ring their bell when they screw up and you won't have any problems.

It absolutely matters if it was badly raised. You can't expect a dog (or a kid for that matter) to act any better than it was raised.

You sound like the kind of liberal that blames guns when a nutjob shoots someone.
__________________
Duck is offline  
 
Old 02-22-2008, 04:00 AM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 272
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Pit Bulls and dog bite related human fatalities

"A study published in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medicine Association in September, 2000 reports that in the 20 years studied (1979 to 1998) "Pit-bull type dogs" and Rottweilers were involved in one half of approximately 300 dog bite related fatalities in the US [3]. Another study of American and Canadian dog bite related fatalities from September 1982 to November 2006 produced similar results, reporting that Pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes were responsible for 65% fatal dog attacks. [4] This study also noted: "Of the breeds most often involved in incidents of sufficient severity to be listed, pit bull terriers are noteworthy for attacking adults almost as frequently as children."


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_bull#Pit_Bulls_and_dog_bite_related_human_fata lities
__________________
Defender is offline  
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
The Most Probable Scenario CaptainCappin Survival & Sustenance Living Forum 115 07-08-2009 03:36 AM
Scenario: Mugging FiveseveN Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 14 07-05-2009 09:06 AM
Minors in a SHTF scenario easterner123 Survival & Sustenance Living Forum 40 06-28-2009 02:40 AM
Do you have a place to go IF it ever comes to that SHTF scenario? Harley_Guy Survival & Sustenance Living Forum 14 11-21-2008 04:59 PM
Scenario: Drive by scare richardt22 Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 11 08-11-2008 04:43 AM



Newest Threads