Dog Attack Scenario
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Dog Attack Scenario

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2007, 03:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Dog Attack Scenario

In a scenario where one's family and family pet is being attacked by a large viscious dog or group of dogs, what would be the best weapon to use in order to maintain one's personal safety?

Would a stun gun on a stick work effectively against several dogs? Would using a firearm be safe when at close range near one's family?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-17-2007, 09:09 PM   #2

I like shotguns with bird shot. I have broken up a pack attacking another dog with a hickory pick handle. One of the attacking dogs had to be put down. These were not feral dogs, but pets running loose and there was a female-in-heat involved.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:54 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Part of the answer from what I have experienced depends on the breed, as well as the mindset of the dog. I have seen pack attacks, as well as single dog attacks where you would have to kill the dog to get it to stop. I believe that a stun gun would work well, but you may not want to be that close. I have used pepper spray to good effect, as well a very strong grade of ammonia (reagent??) in a spray bottle.

No matter what, it ain't fun.

-Bidah

Old 08-16-2007, 05:18 AM   #4

An ax handle, Don't aim for the head some dogs have quick head motion instead take out there front legs. If they can't stand they can't fight.
If the dog bites the handle Kick the bugger in the throat.
The three rules with dogs or any animal humans included are .

1) If you can't see you can't fight .
2) If you can't breath you can't fight .
3) If you can't stand You can't fight .

Old 08-27-2007, 05:14 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Your scenario doesn't detail where the attack might take place, but if you've got the option, it'd be hard to beat a short shotgun and #4 buck shot. To ME a short shotgun has an 18-20" barrel, and a fixed stock.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:12 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Default Dog attack

In my experience Federal Tactical 00 buck works very well for large aggressive Pit Bulls. At 10 feet the entrance hole is about an inch, no exit.

At 10 feet the pucker factor is pretty high.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:15 PM   #7

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If your family member is actually under attack, obviously a shotgun is a bad idea. Plus, unless the shotgun is in your hand when the attack begins, by the time you go get it much damage will already have been done. Dog attacks happen very quickly.

Pepper spray seems a good choice to me. You can spray your kids along with the dogs, and though it'll make them uncomfortable for a while, it'll do less damage than teeth. A shotgun--not so much.

The new Kimber OC product is effective at 13 feet and projects a gel that sticks, not a spray that will blow in the wrong direction (like back in your face). Good thing to keep in your pocket.

"Valor needs first strength, then a weapon."
-- J. R. R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)

Old 08-27-2007, 07:03 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OC isn't a bad idea either, but since this pretend scenario is so open-ended, I assumed that I already had shotgun in hand, and could thump the dogs prior to getting bit.

Fogging the area with spray could easily get you contaminated also and then NOBODY can defend themselves. OC has proven to be almost 100% effective against good people and cops, but marginally less so against bad guys and fighting dogs. The latter two groups respond VERY well to buckshot however. Naturally your point about fields of fire is well taken and not to be discredited.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:19 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would hope that I am never in the situation but I would want a sturdy cane or walking stick and possibly my CCW weapon.
The tatic I would hope be able to use would be seperate the attackers from the victim and neutralize the threat. In reality I would probably wade into the fray without drawing my pistol and use the stick with vigor.
I am afraid that if your pet or family was being attacked by dogs it would be very difficult to be sure of hitting your target and NOT hitting your loved one or pet.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:27 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had this happen to me in a remote part of Indiana working in the utility field in 1992 by myself,I was locating a cross country fiber optic cable when a pack of vicious dogs started to circle me and snapping at me,I have no weapon on me(against company policy) and just 1 year removed from Desert Storm,I dropped my equiptment and raised my arms and swung them wildly and stomped my feet and growled and screamed like a crazy beast and they finally went away-I carried CS-gas( I got from the Army) and pepper spray from the next day forward-I'm lucky to be alive!

Closed Thread